Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

During Pres. Obama's trip to Israel...

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:02 AM
  • 6 Replies

Arab Student Explains Why He Heckled Obama in Jerusalem

Rabbea Eid, an Arab-Israeli student, was removed by security after interrupting President Obama's speech in Jerusalem on Thursday.
Doug Mills/The New York Times

Rabbea Eid, an Arab-Israeli student, was removed by security after interrupting President Obama’s speech in Jerusalem on Thursday.

The 24-year-old student from Israel’s Arab minority who interrupted President Obama’s speech in Jerusalem on Thursday explained his comments and why he made them in an interview with The Lede on Friday.

The heckler, Rabbea Eid, a political science student at Haifa University, said by telephone that he did not plan the outburst but was offended by Mr. Obama’s remarks, which seemed to rule out the solution that he favors: a single, binational state to be shared by Israelis and Palestinians:

I was listening to the speech of Obama and he said a lot of things that made me upset so I just stood up and shouted. He was talking about democracy and justice and at the same time he said he supports Israel as a Jewish country. So, from my perspective and that of a lot of people, Arab people, Palestinians who were in the building listening to the speech … the Arabs, the minority in Israel are also against a Jewish country because it’s not a democratic country. It’s against us, so how can Mr. Obama be democratic and in the same time support an ethnic country?

So I stood up and I told him, “President Obama, did you come to make peace or to support Israel and the Israeli occupation?” Then I asked him about this thing, “How can you be democratic and support a Jewish country?” And I asked him also, “Who killed Rachel Corrie?” The last question was, “Did you see the apartheid wall when you came from Ramallah?”

And then the security guys came and took me out, the Israeli security guys, and they told me that I’m arrested and they threatened me and they used, at first, a little bit of violence with me. But after that there was a journalist, from Fox News, I think, came out and followed me … She started taking my details and pictures, while I was stopped by the Israeli security guys … One of the security guys, I think the boss of them, told his team, “Deal with him easy. I don’t want to make a big story now. There is media so just let him go.” Then they walked me outside.

Footage of Mr. Eid after he was removed from the hall by security wasbroadcast by Israel’s Channel 2.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/arab-student-explains-why-he-heckled-obama-in-jerusalem/
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I agree with this Arab Israeli student.

Just as I wouldn't support a racist state anywhere else, I do not support a Jewish-only identity "homeland." 

It was ill-conceived from the start.

And everyone knows (well, anyone in touch with evidence-based reality, lol) that Israel will never allow a Palestinian state to happen. And everyone knows that the rest of the world, though it may sympathize with the Palestinians, will never rise up against the U.S...

so there is the reality: continution of perpetual limbo for the Palestinians, these 6 decades on. Apartheid. Occupation. Ongoing land theft, land destruction, home demolitions, imprisoning of men/women/children at will, apartheid walls through villages, theft, destruction and denial of access to everything from water to medicine to travel...etc ad infinitum of miseries.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I support Israel.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Quoting Carpy:

I support Israel.

Of course you do.

Goodwoman614

BUMP!

Goodwoman614

BUMP!

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Bump for later

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN