Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Defense contractor installation evacuated, yet not a peep to the public

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 26 Replies

Why?  Do you think you have the right to know if there is a threat that has the capacity to kill/injure you?

Why or why not?

A major defense contractor in my town apparently evacuated at least part of its complex here one day last week.  I know because we know someone who works there but it hasnt been mentioned at all in the media to my knowledge. Also the individual who we know does not know what happened other than the fact there was an emergency evacuation.

Do you think its our right as residents to know whats up?

Part of me wants to know,  would you want to know?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Perhaps in the emergency they had no time or viable way to alert the public? Maybe it was just a precaution? Or soon afterwards it was deemed a prank/etc?

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM

If the employees don't even know why they were evacuated, and the media hasn't gotten a hold of it chances are good it was not a big deal. If there was a threat to the residents of the town yes you should know. Might have been an odor and it was checked out. Could have been a security violation that wouldn't impact anyone in the town. Who knows. What defense contractor is it? Do you know what they do? 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

No I don't think average citizens need to know every little detail.

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

If the employees don't even know why they were evacuated, and the media hasn't gotten a hold of it chances are good it was not a big deal. If there was a threat to the residents of the town yes you should know. Might have been an odor and it was checked out. Could have been a security violation that wouldn't impact anyone in the town. Who knows. What defense contractor is it? Do you know what they do? 

LockheedMartin and they do a lot I think lol.  Braking systems for sure here.  A lot more though, their installation site is huge.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Quoting mikiemom:

No I don't think average citizens need to know every little detail.

yup

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I'd have to know which location it is to say exactly what projects they do there. However, if there was danger to any of you? You can guarantee it would be all over the news. Hello? It's Lockheed. Lol There are many, many people that would love to exploit anything they have going on that could paint them negatively. If their competition didn't bring attention to what happened and alert the media? You all were never at risk. I wouldn't worry about it. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

LockheedMartin and they do a lot I think lol.  Braking systems for sure here.  A lot more though, their site is huge.

finnbar
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Seems a bit odd. The news around here covers all kinds of trivial non news events. An evacuation of a government contractors complex would definitely be of interest
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM
No, I don't think the public needs to know everything and there are plenty of reasons why a contractor could evacuate a building without threat to the greater community area.

Would I want to know? Yes. But I am super nosy, lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM

If the plant represents a danger to the public don't they have alarms that go off to alert the public? Exxon tests an alarm at 9 o'clock on a certain Wednesday down here, every month. You are supposed to have the materials in your home to shelter in place. Does this plant have the capacity to kill surrounding residents? Does it have alarms?

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JMmama:

No, I don't think the public needs to know everything and there are plenty of reasons why a contractor could evacuate a building without threat to the greater community area.

Would I want to know? Yes. But I am super nosy, lol.

I am nosy I admit it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured