Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All stores last p.m. denied food stamps : EVERYWHERE in the world

Posted by   + Show Post

Walmart had told us, from a manager's or supervisor's saying this to us,  that worldwide, walmart had shut down on part of Saturday and Sunday evening ( or maybe more hrs, hard to tell,yet)  

That........ FOOD STAMPS cards were not being allowed into the system.   We tried 6 times to put it in manually into the system and it didn't work. 

Was anyone else shopping last night march 24, 2013?    Was anyone at walmart denied FS?

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (31-40):
blurp
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Well I won't hold my breath for 1 more yr. it's not enough it's happened 1 x last year, for 2 days, the same thing, and it's too coincidental to be maintanence.   I see what is happening.  It's tax time, it's a national declared holiday, scads of people, cash everywhere, ( by the way it's not in a tons of stores,) at least to my knowledge since I've called a few different stores, not just walmart. locally, which is okay today.

I honestly just concentrate on making sure our card swipes at all, most of these cards aren't swiped for yrs, people are entering digits manually with these card magnet strips being faulty and not swiping or reading autofill.

So phewww!  I am just getting used to making sure I enter the right button for cash or fs. lol!!!  Seriously

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, just another reason to be glad that I don't need public assistance. Happy Monday everyone.

sissyboogs
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Our stores had notices up for at least a week stating that the food stamp system would be down yesterday (and maybe into this morning--I can't remember for sure).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

What?

I don't understand what the issue is here? Did you starve having to go one day without being able to buy groceries? Was it an inconvenience?  My debit card didn't work once for no apparent reason. It sucked since I'd left my credit cards at home. I had to leave the store and go get one and come back.

blurp
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM

It wasn't related to not having anything for ourselves, never is.  We're in a system--do you understand?  we are all in some system or another, not to compare or hey,''look''! mine is this and your's is that,....please understand it's not about me one minute

It was a post I generated to simply ask if anyone had similar situation.   I am not comparing anyones' personal lives or getting personal.

For any situation we're in for food, we all have to get it somehow, no we're not starving at all.  That isn't relative or an issue, or why, so don't even think it.  If it's a concern I'd take care of it, Thank you for asking--

we're doing fine and I hope all is fine  everywhere!

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

What?

I don't understand what the issue is here? Did you starve having to go one day without being able to buy groceries? Was it an inconvenience?  My debit card didn't work once for no apparent reason. It sucked since I'd left my credit cards at home. I had to leave the store and go get one and come back.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Again, while Walmart is worldwide, the style of fs you're talking about ISN'T.

Here they are not given a swipe card, they are basically given a purchase order. It is entered into the system in the exact same way as a po would be and would not be denied at the till as long as they had a matching valid photo id.

Was the problem ONLY with fs cards or were debit and credit cards affected as well? We had a problem last summer when our stores (not Walmart, but another national chain) updated our system and the debit and some credit wouldn't process. It was not a conspiracy, it was a huge pain in the ass, line ups were huge as people would have to run to a cash machine. It actually ended up costing the store, not only in lost sales from people who decided not to shop there those days, but also in the 'tax free' days they had for staff to thank us for the extra work we did as a result.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop the pannicking.  Food stamps are issued by the state from Fed money.  This only happened in PA, and they had warned people of a temporary shut down for the following reason:

EBT cards for food stamps to be unavailable for 13 hours

March 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Share with others:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The statewide system that processes the card used for food stamps and other benefits will be down from 11 tonight until noon Sunday.

Card holders will not be able to use their cards during that time period or access account information.

Signs have gone up in some local stores advising customers of the pending outage.

The state Department of Public Welfare said it was necessary to take the system offline for 13 hours in order to change card vendors.

Affected are Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card users.

Other benefits on the card are Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and Medical Assistance.

The vendor change will not affect benefits, the welfare department said in a news release.

Clients will be able to continue using their card in the same stores and at the same automated teller machines if eligible.

Beginning Sunday at noon on March 24, cardholders will be able to go to www.ebt.acs-inc.com to access benefit information.

By switching vendors, clients will be able to receive their benefits sooner, order replacement cards any time, and more easily replace their personal identification number (PIN), the welfare department said.

For more information, visit www.dpw.state.pa.us or call (800) 692-7462.

First Published March 23, 2013 12:03 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/ebt-cards-for-food-stamps-to-be-unavailable-for-13-hours-680538/#ixzz2OZIUNRVJ

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Before you went off the deep end, why didn't you try googling "why were food stamps denied 3/24/13?  You were warned that you wouldn't be able to use them for 12 hours, while they switched the system to accept a different vendor issuing the cards.  Think, before you panic.

Quoting blurp:

It wasn't related to not having anything for ourselves, never is.  We're in a system--do you understand?  we are all in some system or another, not to compare or hey,''look''! mine is this and your's is that,....please understand it's not about me one minute

It was a post I generated to simply ask if anyone had similar situation.   I am not comparing anyones' personal lives or getting personal.

For any situation we're in for food, we all have to get it somehow, no we're not starving at all.  That isn't relative or an issue, or why, so don't even think it.  If it's a concern I'd take care of it, Thank you for asking--

we're doing fine and I hope all is fine  everywhere!

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

What?

grandma B

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

world wide? there is no WW FS system, and I highly doubt they are accepted or distributed outside to US. 

maybe they used the world universal, meaning walmart's entire system?

rfurlongg
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Food stamp are unique to the US so I am certain the problem we localized. Perhaps a programming or computer glitch. I hope you were able to use your food stamp card elsewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured