Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

All stores last p.m. denied food stamps : EVERYWHERE in the world

Posted by   + Show Post

Walmart had told us, from a manager's or supervisor's saying this to us,  that worldwide, walmart had shut down on part of Saturday and Sunday evening ( or maybe more hrs, hard to tell,yet)  

That........ FOOD STAMPS cards were not being allowed into the system.   We tried 6 times to put it in manually into the system and it didn't work. 

Was anyone else shopping last night march 24, 2013?    Was anyone at walmart denied FS?

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I went to shoprite and they had signs posted of the shutdown. The card system was being changed to a different company.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blurp
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Thank you very much this was extremely useful.   At least we have an answer now.  It's not on google and if you got this from Pittsburg as stated, this is a first time view I've tried googling all morning. and as I've said in other's replies the system was put back up,

so now we can KNOW that the VENDOR is updating files or something.   WELFARE ... .you cannot get them by phone....  not now, ever. Many people didn't get them,. ever. It's an underrun system.  

Again how can I say this more enjoyably,  SYSTEMS are running everything. SYSTEMS and very very very few people. , and actually it's always done this time of year, it's just my records of events aren't always on the radar . lol.

NOW we can see , I'm not blind!!Lol.  By the way it affected millions of people anyways.  Swipes weren't allowed in the entire state obviously.  Vendor would mean welfare vendor since walmart doesn't have ownership of Public Assistance, the  Public Assistance office does.

Quoting grandmab125:

Stop the pannicking.  Food stamps are issued by the state from Fed money.  This only happened in PA, and they had warned people of a temporary shut down for the following reason:

EBT cards for food stamps to be unavailable for 13 hours

March 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Share with others:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The statewide system that processes the card used for food stamps and other benefits will be down from 11 tonight until noon Sunday.

Card holders will not be able to use their cards during that time period or access account information.

Signs have gone up in some local stores advising customers of the pending outage.

The state Department of Public Welfare said it was necessary to take the system offline for 13 hours in order to change card vendors.

Affected are Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card users.

Other benefits on the card are Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and Medical Assistance.

The vendor change will not affect benefits, the welfare department said in a news release.

Clients will be able to continue using their card in the same stores and at the same automated teller machines if eligible.

Beginning Sunday at noon on March 24, cardholders will be able to go to www.ebt.acs-inc.com to access benefit information.

By switching vendors, clients will be able to receive their benefits sooner, order replacement cards any time, and more easily replace their personal identification number (PIN), the welfare department said.

For more information, visit www.dpw.state.pa.us or call (800) 692-7462.

First Published March 23, 2013 12:03 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/ebt-cards-for-food-stamps-to-be-unavailable-for-13-hours-680538/#ixzz2OZIUNRVJ

mama2ameira
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Because ebt were updating their systems
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

It was a nationwide scheduled shut down.  At least that's what I read on the paper on the door when I went food shopping yesterday. 

Everytime they made the announcement people were up in arms. 

It was great because the lines were so short!  haha

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Okay first of all stores markup everything you see on the shelves by about 50% for what they pay. Those prices are paid equally by people who pay cash or people who use food stamps the only difference is that the food stamp money is transferred to the bank from the govt. instead of a bank.

This is the case whether someone buys a few things or goes on a large grocery run.

Quoting blurp:

Have no clue what their bottom ''line'' in profits is or wondered .....until now, since it's the 2nd time.

If **I** can see this...plllllllleeeeeeeeeeease!!

Not to joke around are the profits really made by foodstamps, just banking on poor people for a turnover? Are they?   SInce the market has nothing left to bank on in a terrible economy does it not make sense to just burden the majority of poor ranking souls with a solid territorial shopping ground.   Let's be real, most people want a bargain, and they go to huge local mkts to shop.. they aren't getting a bargain if they're just buying a few items and going back for a few more, no.  it's when they go for 1 month and get tons of food, then it's more items, more money, (fs) in this case.

I am not going to shop 1 time per day since it's exhausting to go and walk back and forth and also time and mind confusing.   I used to and its all some people can do for their entire life, with no cars, no money, for cabs.

SO yes buying in volume would be natural to save time and money.

SO !!  yes it seems to be a profit in bulk anyway. 

But for the 20 or 10 items or less it may be that those only Holiday shopping are not in for huge cartfulls.

OK.   SO you asked is it WALMART?   Idk.    

It may be the ''answer'' is likely or possible the food stamp "SYSTEM::  welfare, as I'd said before.

Nobody can get through to welfare. ever.  It's easier to get hit with a bolt of lightning 2x's.

Quoting survivorinohio:

You think Walmart shut down its food stamp communication system to force people to use cash instead?  Does that help their bottom line somehow?

Quoting blurp:

I think it was deliberate Holiday cash "raking"

Quoting survivorinohio:

So what do you think was the cause?

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Sorry, dear, but as I stated above, I googled "where food stamps denied on 3/24/13?".....and the article from the Post Gazette popped up.  I don't live in PA, so I otherwise would never have come across this.

There was no glitch in the state's system.  They were merely changing from one  vendor (card issuing company) to another.  They feel that with the new company, people will be able to get their cards faster, change their pin numbers more easily, etc.  It's all right here in the article I posted.

Quoting blurp:

Thank you very much this was extremely useful.   At least we have an answer now.  It's not on google and if you got this from Pittsburg as stated, this is a first time view I've tried googling all morning. and as I've said in other's replies the system was put back up,

so now we can KNOW that the VENDOR is updating files or something.   WELFARE ... .you cannot get them by phone....  not now, ever. Many people didn't get them,. ever. It's an underrun system.  

Again how can I say this more enjoyably,  SYSTEMS are running everything. SYSTEMS and very very very few people. ,and actually it's always done this time of year, it's just my records of events aren't always on the radar . lol.

NOW we can see , I'm not blind!!Lol.  By the way it affected millions of people anyways.  Swipes weren't allowed in the entire state obviously.  Vendor would mean welfare vendor since walmart doesn't have ownership of Public Assistance, the  Public Assistance office does.

Quoting grandmab125:

Stop the pannicking.  Food stamps are issued by the state from Fed money.  This only happened in PA, and they had warned people of a temporary shut down for the following reason:

EBT cards for food stamps to be unavailable for 13 hours

March 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Share with others:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The statewide system that processes the card used for food stamps and other benefits will be down from 11 tonight until noon Sunday.

Card holders will not be able to use their cards during that time period or access account information.

Signs have gone up in some local stores advising customers of the pending outage.

The state Department of Public Welfare said it was necessary to take the system offline for 13 hours in order to change card vendors.

Affected are Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card users.

Other benefits on the card are Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and Medical Assistance.

The vendor change will not affect benefits, the welfare department said in a news release.

Clients will be able to continue using their card in the same stores and at the same automated teller machines if eligible.

Beginning Sunday at noon on March 24, cardholders will be able to go to www.ebt.acs-inc.com to access benefit information.

By switching vendors, clients will be able to receive their benefits sooner, order replacement cards any time, and more easily replace their personal identification number (PIN), the welfare department said.

For more information, visit www.dpw.state.pa.us or call (800) 692-7462.

First Published March 23, 2013 12:03 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/ebt-cards-for-food-stamps-to-be-unavailable-for-13-hours-680538/#ixzz2OZIUNRVJ

grandma B

blurp
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

that is a great point, and it's always about big business.   whether you pay cash/ or fs

It's the system itself, and I only seriously wish the rich/ poor comments and get a job comments would stop, since it's the system itself, and if people could work or get to work they will and do.  I don't know who works or not, but perhaps we owe these working people our gratitude.  Yes. absolutely.  They do great work at walmart, and that cashier  that helped us kindly  in the line did a super awesome job!  I was and always am very impressed by how all the cashiers keep all that 'together'.  

Quoting autodidact:

Okay first of all stores markup everything you see on the shelves by about 50% for what they pay. Those prices are paid equally by people who pay cash or people who use food stamps the only difference is that the food stamp money is transferred to the bank from the govt. instead of a bank.

This is the case whether someone buys a few things or goes on a large grocery run.

Quoting blurp:

Have no clue what their bottom ''line'' in profits is or wondered .....until now, since it's the 2nd time.

If **I** can see this...plllllllleeeeeeeeeeease!!

Not to joke around are the profits really made by foodstamps, just banking on poor people for a turnover? Are they?   SInce the market has nothing left to bank on in a terrible economy does it not make sense to just burden the majority of poor ranking souls with a solid territorial shopping ground.   Let's be real, most people want a bargain, and they go to huge local mkts to shop.. they aren't getting a bargain if they're just buying a few items and going back for a few more, no.  it's when they go for 1 month and get tons of food, then it's more items, more money, (fs) in this case.

I am not going to shop 1 time per day since it's exhausting to go and walk back and forth and also time and mind confusing.   I used to and its all some people can do for their entire life, with no cars, no money, for cabs.

SO yes buying in volume would be natural to save time and money.

SO !!  yes it seems to be a profit in bulk anyway. 

But for the 20 or 10 items or less it may be that those only Holiday shopping are not in for huge cartfulls.

OK.   SO you asked is it WALMART?   Idk.    

It may be the ''answer'' is likely or possible the food stamp "SYSTEM::  welfare, as I'd said before.

Nobody can get through to welfare. ever.  It's easier to get hit with a bolt of lightning 2x's.

Quoting survivorinohio:

You think Walmart shut down its food stamp communication system to force people to use cash instead?  Does that help their bottom line somehow?

Quoting blurp:

I think it was deliberate Holiday cash "raking"

Quoting survivorinohio:

So what do you think was the cause?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I still don't understand the point you are trying to make? Are you saying computers and technology are a bad thing? We should go back to paper money and paper food stamps so these types of things won't affect us when they happen?

Are you insinuating there is some conspiracy against those on FS? Sorry, I just really don't understand your point? I'd like to.

Quoting blurp:

It wasn't related to not having anything for ourselves, never is.  We're in a system--do you understand?  we are all in some system or another, not to compare or hey,''look''! mine is this and your's is that,....please understand it's not about me one minute

It was a post I generated to simply ask if anyone had similar situation.   I am not comparing anyones' personal lives or getting personal.

For any situation we're in for food, we all have to get it somehow, no we're not starving at all.  That isn't relative or an issue, or why, so don't even think it.  If it's a concern I'd take care of it, Thank you for asking--

we're doing fine and I hope all is fine  everywhere!

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

What?

I don't understand what the issue is here? Did you starve having to go one day without being able to buy groceries? Was it an inconvenience?  My debit card didn't work once for no apparent reason. It sucked since I'd left my credit cards at home. I had to leave the store and go get one and come back.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM

It wasn't nationwide.  Food stamp money comes from the Feds.  But the states i run their own individual programs.  There is more than one company that handles all of the processes for obtaining and issuing EBT cards.  PA decided to switch companies in hopes of getting better service for their residents.  That's it in a nutshell.

Quoting sugareemommee:

It was a nationwide scheduled shut down.  At least that's what I read on the paper on the door when I went food shopping yesterday. 

Everytime they made the announcement people were up in arms. 

It was great because the lines were so short!  haha

grandma B

kansasmom1978
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM

It was well circulated the PA was changing systems and fs would not work this weekend. Our walmart did not close. Guess we are dependant on PA around here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN