Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

U.S. Gov. Fighting to deny Asylum to German Homeschool

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 159 Replies
Still having problems with CM's site. I heard about this on the news a day ago. I found this very interesting. A German family came over to the U.S. so they can homeschool their children. In Germany the Gov. probids homeschooling in most cases. In Germany their reasons appears to be that the Gov. wants to prohibit people who think differently from the Gov. on religious or philosophical grounds (from growing & developing into a force in society). Our Gov. only will let someone stay here if they have fear of danger in their own Country. Here's a few articles on this case. What are your thoughts? http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/u.s.-government-fighting-to-deny-asylum-to-german-homeschool-family http://www.hslda.org/does/news/2013/201302110.asp
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Not very many people realize that Europe doesn't have a "Bill of Rights" like we do, here in the "Land of Round Doorknobs."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

The writer of this article wanted to have insight on our own Gov. views towards the rights of homeschooling parents in general.  The U.S. law of asylum allows a refugee to stay in the U.S. permanently if he can show that he/she is being persecuted for one of several specific reasons.  Among these are persecution for 'religious' reasons & persecution of a "particular social group".  It is thought control of its people.  Belief control.  It is totalitarianism dressed up in politically correct lingo.  (according to the writer of this article). 

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM

The Romeikes' case is before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit.  Case is called Romeike v. Holder.  We (meaning the defense for the Romeike) argued that Germany is a party to many human right treaties that contain specific provisions that protect the right of parents to provide an education that is different from the Gov. schools.  Parents have the explicit right to give their children an education according to their own philosophy. 

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM
8 moms liked this

Quoting Naturewoman4:

The writer of this article wanted to have insight on our own Gov. views towards the rights of homeschooling parents in general.  The U.S. law of asylum allows a refugee to stay in the U.S. permanently if he can show that he/she is being persecuted for one of several specific reasons.  Among these are persecution for 'religious' reasons & persecution of a "particular social group".  It is thought control of its people.  Belief control.  It is totalitarianism dressed up in politically correct lingo.  (according to the writer of this article). 

I'm assuming that the government acknowledges persecution only when it threatens life or comes close to that. Which this does not.

Persecution as a word has been used and flattened out to mean everything from not hearing Merry Christmas at Target the day after Thanksgiving to all out genocide of a specific ethnic group.

I don't think that homeschooling fits into a protected group as of yet- in terms of human rights. If they want to homeschool they should work on changing the laws in Germany.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Holder said this about homeschooling.  2 major portions of constitutional rights of citizens, fundamental liberties & equal protection.  Here 1 of 3 specific arguments U.S. has in regards to this case:

1.  They argued that there was no violation of anyone's protected rights in a law that entirely bans homeschooling.  There would only be a problem if Germany banned homeschooling for some but permitted it for others.  Germany allows homeschooling for those that travel.  Those that want to stay home & homeschool their children are always denied. 

The position of the U.S. Gov on the face of its argument is.  A nation violates no one's rights if it 'bans' homeschooling entirely.  There is no fundamental liberty to homeschool.  So long as the Gov. bans homeschooling broadly & equally there is no violation of your rights. 

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM

2.  U.S. Gov. contended that the Romeikes failed to show that there was any discrimination based on religion because, among other reasons, the Romeikes did not prove that all homeschoolers were religious, & that not all Christians believed they had to homeschool.  U.S. Gov. does not understand that religious freedom is an indiviual right.  One doesn't have to be part of a religious group or part of any church to make a religious freedom claim. 

Germany has signed international treaties which proclaim that parental rights are a prior right over any views of the Gov.  When it comes to Gov. our own Gov. is attempting to send German homeschoolers back to that land to face criminal prosecutions, fines, jail sentences & removal of custody of children.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I am not really seeing the issue here.  Home schooling is not a protected right.

Germany does not allow home schooling, overall, outside of those who travel.  If I understand correctly.

I am thinking, based on what I have read thus far, that I agree with the decision made.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't believe someone would relocate their family just to homeschool. Seems extreme to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I remember a Chinese couple a while back that were sent back to China. She had one child, left in China, and got pregnant here. She wanted to stay and have the baby here, and not go back to be forced into an abortion. She was not granted asylum here. She was a Chinese citizen and had to go back. If we send ladies back to China for abortion, well I don't see us protecting someone that's homeschooling. Different citizens, different laws.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Yes, that was my thought as well. But, then my question would be how is it that some are able to stay here in the U.S. & others aren't. Is it because those that come here are in fear for their life. If people come to this Country for the sole purpose of having a better life & providing a better life for their children, wouldn't this fit into the same category? Just curious does Holder always get involved in fighting asylum for some or all? There is a lot of people that come to this Country, because of all the freedom we have here. Not solely because they are in fear of their life where they came from. So, what makes this case any different?
Quoting Raintree:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I'm assuming that the government acknowledges persecution only when it threatens life or comes close to that. Which this does not.

Persecution as a word has been used and flattened out to mean everything from not hearing Merry Christmas at Target the day after Thanksgiving to all out genocide of a specific ethnic group.

I don't think that homeschooling fits into a protected group as of yet- in terms of human rights. If they want to homeschool they should work on changing the laws in Germany.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN