Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Gay Marriage in the Supreme Court this week

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 395 Replies
7 moms liked this

The highest court in the land will soon hear arguments for and against gay marriage this week: on Tuesday, they will hear arguments surrounding Prop 8, and on Wednesday, around DOMA. 

My prediction is that the Court is going to rule in favor of gay marriage in both cases, striking down Prop 8 and DOMA both, because there's no rational basis for discriminating against gays and lesbians, and because marriage is a fundamental right.

I think this because public opinion has changed dramatically in the past 15 years, and the Court tends to fall in step with public opinion on civil rights issues.

I also think this is a good thing for the Republican party.  Young people are pretty emphatically anti- anti-gay, and a court ruling for marriage equality essentially takes it off the table as an issue.  Hard-core legal conservatives can just call it a case of judicial activism without dealing with the underlying question. 

Thoughts? Predictions?

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Further evidence that the Court will be more gay-friendly than it has been: (Conservative) Chief Justice Robert's gay cousin is going to be there -- at his invitation.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this
Fingers crossed!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM
21 moms liked this

We shall see.............................

I pray that all people are afforded the same as others.  Regardless of man or woman.  

Leave the Bible in the car.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm hoping the Court will do the right thing.  I do feel that all states should allow gay marriage, for I do see the issue as a civil rights issue.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Court decided to leave the matter up to individual states.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Amazing how when the issue hits close to home, they start rethinking their views. I do hope that they truly put their gay-friendly words and thoughts into action. 

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Lighting candles all week that they do the right thing!!!
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I think they will remand the decision of gay marriage to the states
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Fingers crossed :)
witch_e_woman
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM
9 moms liked this

Polls dont mean anything, its not the polls that are going to make the final verdict.

The law itself will have to stand up for ALL human rights in this case, just as it did for  "interracial marriages, ect.".

This action will NOT be based on the hardcore conservative/christian views that seems to feel they have the "omnipotant" right to lay claim that "marriage should only be legal between a man & a woman" because of their "choice" of religious views.

RELIGION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS CASE ANYMORE !!!

It means nothing for religious ppl to claim that this hurts "families/children" & to their other claim that man and woman are only put on earth to "populate" it...

Right, tell this to married couples who do NOT want children or couples who can NOT concieve or what about those that were married that are now divorced having to raise their kid all by themselves because one parent chooses to be involved in the child/rens life anymore ???

This action will be solely based on simple Human Rights alone- PERIOD...

Even Child Molesters, Murderers, ect. have their Human Rights Protected and yet a whole Class of ppl(LGBT) are to be banned from having Human Rights....

Tell me, what's wrong with that picture ?

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I agree in all aspects, OP. I like the way you worded the part about being a good thing for the Republican Party.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN