Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Common Core Standards - is it just common sense or an infringing PITA?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

I'm hoping to hear from teachers ut anyone is welcome of course.

Common Core Standards - Is it just common sense,  is it a lowering of standards?  Is it infringing on state and local control?  Is it just a pain in the butt for teachers?  Does it make sense to you or do you think it is untested and bad for our children?

I'm keeping an open mind while researching this, but there is just so much bias out there.  I'd love to hear how adapting the Common Core has changed things for you, your kids, or their school/curriculum.

My take so far is that it sounds like it pushes more non-fiction reading for all grades and esp in high school.  Does it really change mush else for the early grades though?  I'm just not sure what the big deal is and I either hear huge praise for something that seems like it should have already been being done or huge opposition  that this is horrible, untested, infringes on local control etc.   What does it really change?  Or is it really just slapping a label on what is already being done.

I was looking for a reading log on pinterest and many of them labeled their reading log as a "Common Core Reading log".  Really - list your book and author and you're now in compliance with the common core?  To me it reminded me when everyone was concerned about cholesterol and a pack of raisins would advertise "cholesterol free"  (duh, it's a fruit  of course its Choles-free).  Raisin didn't change, but just took advantage of what everyone was looking for.  Is that the same with "Common Core"  nothing has really changed except to slap a label on something?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tifftorres
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I work for an Educational software company. I hear alot of teachers loving the new standards. But also hear lots of them complaining about it. Mostly compaining about having to create all thier assignments for the standard and pushing other things aside, like handwriting.

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

That's what I was hoping to hear.  What are the teachers changing.  As in I used to teach about  _____ and now I teach about _____.  

Quoting tifftorres:

I work for an Educational software company. I hear alot of teachers loving the new standards. But also hear lots of them complaining about it. Mostly compaining about having to create all thier assignments for the standard and pushing other things aside, like handwriting.

CafeMom Tickers

MommaTasha1003
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM

BUMP!

QueenAtargatis
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it falls in line with all the standardized testing being done as well. Its frustrating for teachers, because it's putting more limitations on what and how they teach. Its putting all children in a little box of how they learn.

I have a first grader, who I'm planning on home schooling next year, partially because of this. There is no focus on learning to love learning, and too much on standards and tests. There is nothing beyond the standard, and that's not okay for kids who are falling behind, or kids who need a little more. Its a lot of pressure for teachers, students, and parents, and I see it making a negative impact in the long run.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifftorres
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I hear alot of... 

I dont  have time to have fun with my students anymore. We now have a guide and time frame we all have to follow.                                                                                                                                                                             All year long we are just prepping for these tests. I know handwriting is important and I wish we actually had time to work on it in class.  I have kids that I feel are at gradelevel, but are slower to catch on. And I simply dont have the time to slow the class down.

But others love it. They love having a guideline and a time frame to follow daily/weekly. Think it gives them more structure and the kids something to reach for.

Lots of  comments on both sides!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN