Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ford apologizes for art depicting tied-up women

Posted by   + Show Post

Ford apologizes for art depicting tied-up women

@CNNMoney March 25, 2013: 1:20 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Ford and ad agency WPP apologized on Monday for offensive artwork depicting women tied up in the back of a Ford Figo, a car available in India.

The cartoonish drawings were never part of a paid campaign but were part of "a creative exercise by a team that was submitting for an ad competition," according to Chris Preuss, Ford (F, Fortune 500) spokesman for WPP. "They were actually posters uploaded to a website, which is where it all took off from."

One of the images depicts Silvio Berlusconi, former prime minister of Italy and a candidate in the current campaign, driving a Ford Figo with three tied-up women in the back. Another image depicts Paris Hilton driving a Figo with what's meant to be the three Kardashian sisters tied up in the back. A third image shows three male race-car drivers tied up in the back.

"We deeply regret this incident and agree with our agency partners that it should have never happened," said Ford, in a prepared statement. "The posters are contrary to the standards of professionalism and decency within Ford and our agency partners."

WPP also released a statement saying that it "deeply regret[s]" the existence of the "distasteful" posters.

Related: Ford unveils the Figo for India

India is particularly sensitive to the topic of violence against women, since several high-profile gang rapes have occurred there in recent months.

Ford unveiled the Figo, a subcompact, in 2009 to be produced in India and exported to other Asian countries and Africa. To top of page

Neon Washable Paint

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
SuperChicken
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Seriously!   Someone actually thought this would be a good idea.    

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Geez. 

Does this stuff ever get run by women?  It's like the creative department is being controlled by Mad Men.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

A major lapse of judgment to let this end up anywhere on a website connected with Ford.  I would be curious about how that happened.  

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM
This was never an ad and I strongly doubt they would have allowed it on their site had they known. From what it sounds like the ad agency they used needs to explain why one of their employees uploaded this online for the world to see.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Somebody will be losing their jobs.

Quoting .Bubbles.:

This was never an ad and I strongly doubt they would have allowed it on their site had they known. From what it sounds like the ad agency they used needs to explain why one of their employees uploaded this online for the world to see.

Neon Washable Paint

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Thay was my first thought. I work in Marketing and if you do something that can cause your firm to lose a huge account like Ford you deserve to be fired.

Quoting NWP:

Somebody will be losing their jobs.

Quoting .Bubbles.:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Quoting autodidact: Jesus, really? that is just fucking sick.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I saw this earlier. Seriously who in their right freaking mind??? I just I have no words completely speechless that someone would be like hmmmm trying to sell cars oh I know let depict kidnapping women that will sell some cars.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Frankly whoever drew this needs to be investigated look at the women they all look the same. Like whoever it was is thinking about a specific woman/type of woman. It's very disturbing.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Fords suck anyway.. but this makes them look really bad

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Good observation. The expresssions disturbed me as well.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Frankly whoever drew this needs to be investigated look at the women they all look the same. Like whoever it was is thinking about a specific woman/type of woman. It's very disturbing.

Neon Washable Paint

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)