Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

AAP's publication Pediatrics, issues statement against non-therapeutic circumcision

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
3 moms liked this

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/03/12/peds.2012-2896.full.pdf

"Circumcision fails to meet the criteria to serve as a preventive measure for [urinary tract infection], even though this is the only 1 of the AAP report's 4 most favored arguments that has any relevance before the boy gets old enough to decide for himself."

"As a preventive measure for penile cancer, circumcision also fails to meet the criteria for preventive medicine: the evidence is not strong; the disease rate has a good survival rate; there are less intrusive ways of preventing the disease; and there is no compelling reason to deny boys their legitimate right to make their own informed decision when they are old enough to do so."

"The authors of the AAP report forget to stress that responsible use of condoms, regardless of circumcision status, will provide close to 100% reduction in risk for any STD. In addition, STDs occur only after sexual debut, which implies that the decision of whether to circumcise can be postponed to an age when boys are old enough to decide for themselves."

"As with the other possible benefits, circumcision for HIV protection in
Western countries fails to meet the criteria for preventive medicine: there
is no strong evidence for effectiveness and other, more effective, and less intrusive means are available. There is also no compelling reason why the
procedure should be performed long before sexual debut; sexually transmitted HIV infection is not a relevant threat to children."

“There is growing consensus among physicians, including those in the United States, that physicians discourage parents from circumcising their healthy infant boys because non-therapeutic circumcision of underage boys in Western societies has no compelling health benefits, causes post-operative pain, can have serious long-term consequences, constitutes a violation of the United Nations’ Declaration of the Rights of the Child, and conflicts with the Hippocratic Oath: primum non nocere: First Do No Harm.”

"The conclusions of the AAP 

Technical Report and Policy Statement 

are far from those reached by physicians in most other Western countries. 

As mentioned, only 1 of the aforementioned arguments has some theoretical relevance in relation to infant male 

circumcision; namely, the questionable 

argument of UTI prevention in infant 

boys. The other claimed health benefits 

are also questionable, weak, and likely 

to have little public health relevance in 

a Western context, and they do not 

represent compelling reasons for surgery before boys are old enough to 

decide for themselves."

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Most people I know circumsized their sons because their husbands were circumsized. My son is not circumsized because my husband is not circumsized. We didn't even look into it.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Dh made the decision to circ, his father didn't get his done til he was 50, my dh remembers how painful it was for his father at that time and dh is circ. He made the choice about the penis,since he also has a penis

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM

It only takes one time forgetting a condom for a man to become infected with HPV, the most common STD in the U.S. Circumcision does reduce the risk for this by quite a bit. And yes, condoms do effectively reduce STD transmission, but not every man is responsible. The decision to circumcise or not circumcise is one that is best left up to each individual family. 

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM
My sons are circumsized and I don't really care what anyone says about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I read the abstract of the article.

In my family, my husband decided, as he is the one with the penis, so if he found the arguments against circumcision valid, then I wouldn't have done it.

Nothing in the abstract convinced me that this was the wrong decision.

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I didn't circumcise my son. I don't make permanent body changes to my child without their consent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)