Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Robocalls to Newtown from the NRA

Posted by   + Show Post

Think its ok for NRA to make robocalls and send postcards asking for support to people in Newtown whose children were shot to death at Sandyhook? 

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Replies (41-50):
RunningMommaof2
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

What the hell? I saw this on the news yesterday. 

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/fairfield_cty/some-in-newtown-insulted-by-nra-robocalls#.UVEaXhdomSo

"News 8's Jacquie Slater spoke with a man who's not just insulted by these calls. He's worried to even reveal his identity out of fear."

The NRA is victimizing the citizens of Newtown. The families that lost someone are not the only victims of this tradgedy. The entire community is suffering. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

The families of Newtown didn't complain. I'm not sure what you aren't getting. The victims of the actual tragedy, the people that lost their children didn't call in and complain, in fact no one did. A local gun control group called the Huffington post to say the NRA was making these robocalls in that area. Then the Huffington post cold called residents (non of which were families of the shootings) and asked about the robocalls and their opinions on them. That is where these democratic senators and the papers got these quotes from. The senators then took this information and ran with it. They made it sound like the NRA had hurt these families all over again and victimized them, that they had received calls to their offices with pleas to make it stop. It never happened. These men USED this tragedy and these families to further their anti gun bills. Their political agendas. That is not okay. It is never oaky regardless of who does it and for what purpose. 

Quoting lga1965:

See, but the families of the victims didn't complain. The Huffington post was alerted to the calls by a local gun control advocacy group in that area. Then they started cold calling any resident in Newtown for opinions on whether or not the NRA should be making these calls

The above is part of what you wrote.They wanted to know how these families felt about the NRA making calls for support! If I was one of the parents, I would tell them how I felt about the NRA and their insensitivity.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Read my response above to the OP. It might surprise you to find out who was actually using these victims and their families to further their political agenda. 

Quoting lga1965:

I believe that people who want to ban guns have sensitivty and sympathy. why would they call the people who lost children on that terrible day? They would have more sense than to call and discuss gun violence with people who experienced it !

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Ah. But you didn't answer my question. Would you be just as upset if they were getting robocalls and postcards for gun bans? 

Quoting GeekMommi:

Im sure some people in NT support the NRA but it's in poor taste to call the families of the victims.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

You are assuming every last person in Newtown would support the opposition and be offended by the calls for support. You assume people blame the death of those children on guns, and not the person who fired them. That is where the issue comes in. You have no idea if those people wish in their dreams that someone in that school had, had a gun to fight back. We don't know their position. 

In one opinion it might be abhorrent and tasteless. In another it might be what they needed to fight back after what happened. 

I don't know, and neither do you. So I guess the calls aren't that awful. Would you say the same if they were getting robocalls in support of gun bans? 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Not ok

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM

So because a tragedy happened there people are not allowed to support the NRA?

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM

As a mother you would break down and cry from gettting a politically motivated robocall? Dear God don't move to Virginia during an election season you might have a mental health breakdown.

Quoting Citygirlk:

It's disgusting as a mother if I were to get a call like that I would just break down and cry. Then I would pick myself back up and find a way to sue their asses. This is just tasteless.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Are you claiming that the entire town of Newton is anti-gun? Also the NRA is not a person it is a group whose sole purpose is to support it's PAYING members like me to help protect our gun ownership rights. Why exactly would they care about anti-gun people?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

The NRA doesn't care about anyone who has any dislike of guns.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You do realize how Robocalls work right? They are randomly dialed numbers they have no way to know who they are calling. And I call BS on "sensitivity" of anti-gun people. They have been holding up those poor people since the day it happened. They absolutely have used and abused those families.

Quoting lga1965:

I believe that people who want to ban guns have sensitivty and sympathy. why would they call the people who lost children on that terrible day? They would have more sense than to call and discuss gun violence with people who experienced it !

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Ah. But you didn't answer my question. Would you be just as upset if they were getting robocalls and postcards for gun bans? 

Quoting GeekMommi:

Im sure some people in NT support the NRA but it's in poor taste to call the families of the victims.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

You are assuming every last person in Newtown would support the opposition and be offended by the calls for support. You assume people blame the death of those children on guns, and not the person who fired them. That is where the issue comes in. You have no idea if those people wish in their dreams that someone in that school had, had a gun to fight back. We don't know their position. 

In one opinion it might be abhorrent and tasteless. In another it might be what they needed to fight back after what happened. 

I don't know, and neither do you. So I guess the calls aren't that awful. Would you say the same if they were getting robocalls in support of gun bans? 

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

soonergirl I think you just don't get it. When people experience a loss especially a violent one that involves your child, its hurts to have these kind of calls. People sympathize with you and use care not to hurt you anymore because you're in a very fragile state. This is not like any robocall you normally get. The NRA is well aware of what they are doing and maybe Im giving too much credit here but I think gun supporters know the wrong in this behavior as well.

Quoting soonergirl980:Are you claiming that the entire town of Newton is anti-gun? Also the NRA is not a person it is a group whose sole purpose is to support it's PAYING members like me to help protect our gun ownership rights. Why exactly would they care about anti-gun people?
Quoting coolmommy2x:The NRA doesn't care about anyone who has any dislike of guns.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Well aren't they some shitty people.

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM
They didn't realize or take the time to find out where those calls were going in Newtown.... Well they have some firing to do. That is a huge mistake and I find it hard to believe they didn't pay attention to what they were sending out to certain residents of NT.

Quoting soonergirl980:

You do realize how Robocalls work right? They are randomly dialed numbers they have no way to know who they are calling. And I call BS on "sensitivity" of anti-gun people. They have been holding up those poor people since the day it happened. They absolutely have used and abused those families.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM

No it is like every other robocall you get. In fact there is no proof that the NRA called a single victims family or friends. In fact the way the NRA worded their statement it sounds like they were calling and mailing post cards to MEMBERS all over Connecticut. So what the entire state is off limits because you might call Newtown? Members of the NRA aren't allowed to get services they pay because they happen to live in Newtown? People that want to protect their 2nd amendment right aren't allowed to live there anymore?

Quoting GeekMommi:

soonergirl I think you just don't get it. When people experience a loss especially a violent one that involves your child, its hurts to have these kind of calls. People sympathize with you and use care not to hurt you anymore because you're in a very fragile state. This is not like any robocall you normally get. The NRA is well aware of what they are doing and maybe Im giving too much credit here but I think gun supporters know the wrong in this behavior as well.

Quoting soonergirl980:Are you claiming that the entire town of Newton is anti-gun? Also the NRA is not a person it is a group whose sole purpose is to support it's PAYING members like me to help protect our gun ownership rights. Why exactly would they care about anti-gun people?
Quoting coolmommy2x:The NRA doesn't care about anyone who has any dislike of guns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN