Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Robocalls to Newtown from the NRA

Posted by   + Show Post

Think its ok for NRA to make robocalls and send postcards asking for support to people in Newtown whose children were shot to death at Sandyhook? 

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Replies (51-60):
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Actually now that I read the article posted I think they were calling a very specific list of their members who pay to keep updated not a mistake at all. No one should be fired except possibly the journalist who took the calls completely out of context as if they were specifically targeting families and friends of victims or even the town specifically at all.

Quoting GeekMommi:

They didn't realize or take the time to find out where those calls were going in Newtown.... Well they have some firing to do. That is a huge mistake and I find it hard to believe they didn't pay attention to what they were sending out to certain residents of NT.

Quoting soonergirl980:

You do realize how Robocalls work right? They are randomly dialed numbers they have no way to know who they are calling. And I call BS on "sensitivity" of anti-gun people. They have been holding up those poor people since the day it happened. They absolutely have used and abused those families.

Quoting lga1965:

I believe that people who want to ban guns have sensitivty and sympathy. why would they call the people who lost children on that terrible day? They would have more sense than to call and discuss gun violence with people who experienced it !

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Ah. But you didn't answer my question. Would you be just as upset if they were getting robocalls and postcards for gun bans? 

Quoting GeekMommi:

Im sure some people in NT support the NRA but it's in poor taste to call the families of the victims.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

You are assuming every last person in Newtown would support the opposition and be offended by the calls for support. You assume people blame the death of those children on guns, and not the person who fired them. That is where the issue comes in. You have no idea if those people wish in their dreams that someone in that school had, had a gun to fight back. We don't know their position. 

In one opinion it might be abhorrent and tasteless. In another it might be what they needed to fight back after what happened. 

I don't know, and neither do you. So I guess the calls aren't that awful. Would you say the same if they were getting robocalls in support of gun bans? 

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Some residents of the Connecticut community devastated by December's school shooting said they're outraged over robocalls they've received from the National Rifle Association only three months after a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Newtown residents said the automated calls from the NRA began last week and urge people to tell their state legislators to oppose gun control proposals. Some also said they received postcards from the NRA supporting gun owners' rights.

"It's ridiculous and insensitive," Newtown resident Dan O'Donnell told Hartford-area NBC affiliate WVIT-TV, one of several media organizations to report about the robocalls. "I can't believe an organization would be so focused on the rights of gun owners with no consideration for the losses this town suffered."

A message seeking comment was left Monday at the NRA's headquarters in Fairfax, Va.

Like Congress and other state legislatures, Connecticut's General Assembly has been considering gun control measures in the wake of the school shootings, including banning assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

The NRA strongly opposes many gun control proposals including an assault weapons ban, saying government officials should better enforce existing gun laws and not impede on people's Second Amendment rights.

Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the NRA, has said his organization supports getting the records of those adjudicated mentally incompetent and dangerous into the background check system for gun dealers and beefed up penalties for illegal third-party purchases and gun trafficking.

Shortly after the Newtown shooting, LaPierre also called for armed security guards in schools.

A 20-year-old gunman killed 26 students and educators and himself at Sandy Hook on Dec. 14, after having shot his mother to death at their Newtown home.

Another Newtown resident, Christopher Wenis, told The Huffington Post that he received three of the NRA's robocalls last week.

"I've got a 5-year-old son who went to preschool on the Sandy Hook Elementary School campus," Wenis said. "And this was a really hard week for me on a lot of levels. These calls were the very last thing I needed."

Quoting soonergirl980:

Actually now that I read the article posted I think they were calling a very specific list of their members who pay to keep updated not a mistake at all. No one should be fired except possibly the journalist who took the calls completely out of context as if they were specifically targeting families and friends of victims or even the town specifically at all.

Quoting GeekMommi:

They didn't realize or take the time to find out where those calls were going in Newtown.... Well they have some firing to do. That is a huge mistake and I find it hard to believe they didn't pay attention to what they were sending out to certain residents of NT.

Quoting soonergirl980:

You do realize how Robocalls work right? They are randomly dialed numbers they have no way to know who they are calling. And I call BS on "sensitivity" of anti-gun people. They have been holding up those poor people since the day it happened. They absolutely have used and abused those families.

Quoting lga1965:

I believe that people who want to ban guns have sensitivty and sympathy. why would they call the people who lost children on that terrible day? They would have more sense than to call and discuss gun violence with people who experienced it !

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Ah. But you didn't answer my question. Would you be just as upset if they were getting robocalls and postcards for gun bans? 

Quoting GeekMommi:

Im sure some people in NT support the NRA but it's in poor taste to call the families of the victims.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

You are assuming every last person in Newtown would support the opposition and be offended by the calls for support. You assume people blame the death of those children on guns, and not the person who fired them. That is where the issue comes in. You have no idea if those people wish in their dreams that someone in that school had, had a gun to fight back. We don't know their position. 

In one opinion it might be abhorrent and tasteless. In another it might be what they needed to fight back after what happened. 

I don't know, and neither do you. So I guess the calls aren't that awful. Would you say the same if they were getting robocalls in support of gun bans? 

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Some is 3 they found 3 residents that complained. Yes, they are guilty of not scrubbing their lists but they are not wrong for attempting to support their members. Ya know I think that every single abortion that happens is killing a child and a tragedy. Yet, I get emails, phone calls, postcards from NOW and other organizations all the time. I don't get offended I hang up. I live in a swing state I get a lot of politically motivated stuff especially during election season. I don't get offended I move on. I certainly don't have my week ruined like that one guy claimed from a 30 second phone call I can end at any time.

People are using this so called outrage as an excuse to demonized a political group with thousands of members and yes a group that I'm sure has members in Newtown wether you want to accept that that the entire town didn't instantly become anti-gun or not. Those members have a right to be heard just as much as anyone else.

Quoting GeekMommi:

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Some residents of the Connecticut community devastated by December's school shooting said they're outraged over robocalls they've received from the National Rifle Association only three months after a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Newtown residents said the automated calls from the NRA began last week and urge people to tell their state legislators to oppose gun control proposals. Some also said they received postcards from the NRA supporting gun owners' rights.

"It's ridiculous and insensitive," Newtown resident Dan O'Donnell told Hartford-area NBC affiliate WVIT-TV, one of several media organizations to report about the robocalls. "I can't believe an organization would be so focused on the rights of gun owners with no consideration for the losses this town suffered."

A message seeking comment was left Monday at the NRA's headquarters in Fairfax, Va.

Like Congress and other state legislatures, Connecticut's General Assembly has been considering gun control measures in the wake of the school shootings, including banning assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

The NRA strongly opposes many gun control proposals including an assault weapons ban, saying government officials should better enforce existing gun laws and not impede on people's Second Amendment rights.

Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the NRA, has said his organization supports getting the records of those adjudicated mentally incompetent and dangerous into the background check system for gun dealers and beefed up penalties for illegal third-party purchases and gun trafficking.

Shortly after the Newtown shooting, LaPierre also called for armed security guards in schools.

A 20-year-old gunman killed 26 students and educators and himself at Sandy Hook on Dec. 14, after having shot his mother to death at their Newtown home.

Another Newtown resident, Christopher Wenis, told The Huffington Post that he received three of the NRA's robocalls last week.

"I've got a 5-year-old son who went to preschool on the Sandy Hook Elementary School campus," Wenis said. "And this was a really hard week for me on a lot of levels. These calls were the very last thing I needed."

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM
2 moms liked this

When you live in town where people you knew were killed and people you know lost their children, sisters, brothers, spouses and friends in a massacre then come back here and talk about how tuff you are and how you don't get offended. You compare the junk mail and political phone calls you get to this...seriously.  

These phone calls are not the end of the world and they certainly are not the worst thing the NRA has done but you know what it is...... its the NRA  spitting on the graves of the victims. And of-course its members encouraging and cheering on these very offensive acts.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Some is 3 they found 3 residents that complained. Yes, they are guilty of not scrubbing their lists but they are not wrong for attempting to support their members. Ya know I think that every single abortion that happens is killing a child and a tragedy. Yet, I get emails, phone calls, postcards from NOW and other organizations all the time. I don't get offended I hang up. I live in a swing state I get a lot of politically motivated stuff especially during election season. I don't get offended I move on. I certainly don't have my week ruined like that one guy claimed from a 30 second phone call I can end at any time.

People are using this so called outrage as an excuse to demonized a political group with thousands of members and yes a group that I'm sure has members in Newtown wether you want to accept that that the entire town didn't instantly become anti-gun or not. Those members have a right to be heard just as much as anyone else.

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:39 AM
You do realize the NRA (or any group using robocallers can choose who to call and who not to call right? I'm sure there are Newtown residents who love guns. If they choose to support the NRA, they can can take it upon themselves to do so, I'm sure they're capable of a simple internet search. The NRA CAN delete Newtown from its calls this go around...or at the very least, eliminate the neighborhoods in the immediate Sandy Hook area. When you set up robocallls, you choose who to target. They choose to call an area recovering from a horric crime. (Assuming you believe killing innocent people is horrific).

I am sorry that you feel that other people's right to live interferes with your right to own a gun.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Are you claiming that the entire town of Newton is anti-gun? Also the NRA is not a person it is a group whose sole purpose is to support it's PAYING members like me to help protect our gun ownership rights. Why exactly would they care about anti-gun people?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

The NRA doesn't care about anyone who has any dislike of guns.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Aren't you the one who called someone on mobile, stupid for not keeping what she was quoting in a post.  Of course she was on one of those phone that don't have a cord and it was out of her control.  But, I guess that didn't count then.

Quoting lga1965:

No you can't, if you're using a cell, a smart phone.  You know,those phones that don't have a cord  and you can hold it in your hand ....

Why would you question her? It is typical of the NRA.I didn't question it.

But if I do question anything,I know how to FIND articles Online,though, don't YOU?

Quoting grandmab125:

It's really not hard to copy and paste, or add a link...kwim.  That's generally the way most of us put up a post.  So don't get in a huff when some one questions your post.

Quoting GeekMommi:

Im not handing in an essay, Im posting on Cafemom. If you are suspicious, search it.

Quoting grandmab125:

It's very easy to be suspicious when people don't post an actual story or a link to one.  If one cannot post a link, one should at least say where she found her info.  Then every one can check it out, before they comment.  "Did you hear" type stories open themselves up for scepticism.

Quoting shannonnigans:

OK.  Not sure why you have such a tough time believing it when the NRA prez readily admits it.  But ok........... 

From TheHill.com     You can find it all over though.

Connecticut senators blast NRA robocalls to Newtown residents

By Justin Sink - 03/25/13 06:36 PM ET

The NRA "has stooped to a new low" in its anti-gun-control efforts at the site of last year's mass shooting.

Connecticut's U.S. senators on Tuesday admonished the National Rifle Association for robocalls to residents of Newtown, Conn., the site of last year's deadly mass shooting that left 20 schoolchildren and six educators dead.

"With these robocalls, the NRA has stooped to a new low in the debate over how to best protect our kids and our communities," Sens. Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal, both Democrats, wrote in a letter to NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre. "We call on you to immediately stop calling the families and friends of the victims in Newtown."

The robocalls, one of which was obtained by The Huffington Post, urge Newtown residents to lobby their state representatives against an effort to pass stricter gun controls in the state. Proposals there include a beefed-up assault weapons ban and a limit on magazine size.

"Anti-gun legislators are aggressively pursuing numerous proposals that are designed to disarm and punish law-abiding gun owners and sportsmen," the robocall says.

In their letter, the senators say "making these calls opens a wound that these families are still trying hard to heal."

"Put yourself in the shoes of a victim's family member who gets a call at dinnertime asking them to support more assault weapons in our schools and on our streets," the pair write.

In a statement to CNN, NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam defended the robocalls.

"The National Rifle Association has members, contributors, and supporters in Connecticut who expect us to do our jobs and keep them abreast of developments on the legislative front in their state," Arulanandam said. "We provide the same service for our members and supporters all around the country."

The calls come less than 100 days after the mass shooting, which prompted the Obama administration to call for a package of new gun control regulations. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said last week that the Senate would vote on a bill that included an expansion of background checks and new penalties for straw purchases upon returning from a two-week Easter break.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/290241-connecticut-senators-blast-nra-robocalls-to-newtown#ixzz2Oba1lgA6
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Quoting grandmab125:

How about a link to your so called story.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

After my baby just got shot up and they are asking for support for guns. Yes I think that would make me want to cry.

Quoting soonergirl980:

As a mother you would break down and cry from gettting a politically motivated robocall? Dear God don't move to Virginia during an election season you might have a mental health breakdown.

Quoting Citygirlk:

It's disgusting as a mother if I were to get a call like that I would just break down and cry. Then I would pick myself back up and find a way to sue their asses. This is just tasteless.

RunningMommaof2
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

We are not talking about people that are just offended by the opinion of the NRA. We are talking about an entire community that is suffering from degrees of PTSD. This insensitivity goes waaaaay beyond the politics on the surface. And you know, it would ave been one thing to just send a post card to the members of the NRA, but they are calling over and over again at random. Which at this point is basically harassment. People don't want their children, whose lives were somehow spared during this tradgedy, to be hearing messages on the answering machine from a powerful political interest group supporting the very thing that killed their classmates and was aimed to kill them too. C'mon now. There is absolutely nothing that is OKAY about what the NRA is doing here. Did you think that maybe only 3 people complained because they are sick and tired of the media breathing down their backs and want some peace and healing? 

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM

No it's not ok, it's not shocking but it is disgusting.

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

And families of the victims have called the Sen. office to complain about these calls.  

Why wouldn't members of the NRA want them to at-least apologize, this attitude gun supporters have is almost like they can do no wrong and are above apologizing.

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

We are not talking about people that are just offended by the opinion of the NRA. We are talking about an entire community that is suffering from degrees of PTSD. This insensitivity goes waaaaay beyond the politics on the surface. And you know, it would ave been one thing to just send a post card to the members of the NRA, but they are calling over and over again at random. Which at this point is basically harassment. People don't want their children, whose lives were somehow spared during this tradgedy, to be hearing messages on the answering machine from a powerful political interest group supporting the very thing that killed their classmates and was aimed to kill them too. C'mon now. There is absolutely nothing that is OKAY about what the NRA is doing here. Did you think that maybe only 3 people complained because they are sick and tired of the media breathing down their backs and want some peace and healing? 

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN