Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Robocalls to Newtown from the NRA

Posted by   + Show Post

Think its ok for NRA to make robocalls and send postcards asking for support to people in Newtown whose children were shot to death at Sandyhook? 

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Replies (61-70):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

My dh is involved in a case right now. A man got a robocall from some company and this man was on the DNC list. The man reminded the company of this fact but he contiuned to get the robocalls.(there are some other complicating factors but this is the jest of it!) The man is now suing for aggravation and suffering. A settlement is being worked out just to shut him up.

But THIS? This is tasteless.

Quoting talia-mom:

What is there to sue for?

Sometimes things are wrong but not worth $ for you.

Quoting Citygirlk:

It's disgusting as a mother if I were to get a call like that I would just break down and cry. Then I would pick myself back up and find a way to sue their asses. This is just tasteless.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

They did not call any family members they were calling people all their call lists who with a few a exceptions would be people who support their cause.

Quoting Citygirlk:

After my baby just got shot up and they are asking for support for guns. Yes I think that would make me want to cry.

Quoting soonergirl980:

As a mother you would break down and cry from gettting a politically motivated robocall? Dear God don't move to Virginia during an election season you might have a mental health breakdown.

Quoting Citygirlk:

It's disgusting as a mother if I were to get a call like that I would just break down and cry. Then I would pick myself back up and find a way to sue their asses. This is just tasteless.

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Yes they did, families of the victims said they received calls and were upset about it. They called the senators office and complained about the calls from the NRA. Senators sent a letter to the NRA asking them to stop.

Quoting soonergirl980:They did not call any family members they were calling people all their call lists who with a few a exceptions would be people who support their cause.
Quoting Citygirlk:After my baby just got shot up and they are asking for support for guns. Yes I think that would make me want to cry.Quoting soonergirl980:As a mother you would break down and cry from gettting a politically motivated robocall? Dear God don't move to Virginia during an election season you might have a mental health breakdown.
Quoting Citygirlk:It's disgusting as a mother if I were to get a call like that I would just break down and cry. Then I would pick myself back up and find a way to sue their asses. This is just tasteless.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Extremely bad taste.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I don't see any difference between these calls and those coming from life insurance companies (looking for my mom who passed away last year), the American cancer society (she died from cancer) which is actual people ... and apparently NO one they hire understands the word 'dead', or the phrase 'we're not interested'.

It's a robocall. They aren't screened. They go out to random numbers. They seem to be able to avoid any and all 'do not call' lists.

I'm pretty tired of sitting at my mother's table trying to explain to people that she ~ personally ~ doesn't care about whatever they are selling or soliciting for. She's dead. All that money they collected for cancer research for a cure is a crock (they don't want a cure because people dying of cancer spend lots of money trying to get rid of it). Now I just tell them 'sure, I'll let you talk to her', walk over an plop the phone on her urn, and go back to what I was doing. It's not my fault if she gives them the silent treatment. Any other calls from numbers I don't know don't get answered. That's WHY I have an answering machine and caller ID.

Quoting GeekMommi:

soonergirl I think you just don't get it. When people experience a loss especially a violent one that involves your child, its hurts to have these kind of calls. People sympathize with you and use care not to hurt you anymore because you're in a very fragile state. This is not like any robocall you normally get. The NRA is well aware of what they are doing and maybe Im giving too much credit here but I think gun supporters know the wrong in this behavior as well.

Quoting soonergirl980:Are you claiming that the entire town of Newton is anti-gun? Also the NRA is not a person it is a group whose sole purpose is to support it's PAYING members like me to help protect our gun ownership rights. Why exactly would they care about anti-gun people?
Quoting coolmommy2x:The NRA doesn't care about anyone who has any dislike of guns.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Is there a different kind of dead? to my knowledge, there isn't. I've seen more dead humans than I ever wanted to, dead dogs, dead cats, dead horses, dead pigs, dead chickens, dead goats, dead ducks, dead deer, dead squirrels, dead rabbits, dead guineas, dead raccoons, etc. They were all the same kind of dead. I didn't mourn ANY harder for a dog I had quietly put to sleep than one that I never even knew laying smashed on the side of the road. I didn't mourn any harder for family members that died violently than those that died peacefully in their beds.

I do not for ANY reason believe that those 20 dead children and 6 dead adults are any more special than any other dead person ... except to those who personally knew and loved them. And, since that IS the same with every person (they are missed and mourned most by those who knew and loved them) it should not surprise you.

It isn't up to others to deal with our personal grief. That's personal. If anything, I'm offended by those who are using the deaths of children and adults they didn't know (and never cared a fig about until they hit the network news that morning) to try and sway a political agenda that is as flawed as it is wrong.

At least the NRA and those who support gun rights are basing their agenda on a centuries old law that was right then, and is right today (and for all the same reasons). Corruption and dictators will never fade into history, and that IS the purpose of the second amendment. I prefer a gun to any corrupt politician or dictator.

And ... cancer sucks. Cancer really, really sicks.

Quoting GeekMommi:

I'm not surprised you say you don't see a difference Farmlady.... but I think you do.  I know at this point that gun lovers saying anything the NRA does is wrong, will not happen.

Off topic

Cancer wasn't the focus of your post but I actually agree with your feelings on that matter.

Quoting Farmlady09:

I don't see any difference between these calls and those coming from life insurance companies (looking for my mom who passed away last year), the American cancer society (she died from cancer) which is actual people ... and apparently NO one they hire understands the word 'dead', or the phrase 'we're not interested'.

It's a robocall. They aren't screened. They go out to random numbers. They seem to be able to avoid any and all 'do not call' lists.

I'm pretty tired of sitting at my mother's table trying to explain to people that she ~ personally ~ doesn't care about whatever they are selling or soliciting for. She's dead. All that money they collected for cancer research for a cure is a crock (they don't want a cure because people dying of cancer spend lots of money trying to get rid of it). Now I just tell them 'sure, I'll let you talk to her', walk over an plop the phone on her urn, and go back to what I was doing. It's not my fault if she gives them the silent treatment. Any other calls from numbers I don't know don't get answered. That's WHY I have an answering machine and caller ID.

Quoting GeekMommi:

soonergirl I think you just don't get it. When people experience a loss especially a violent one that involves your child, its hurts to have these kind of calls. People sympathize with you and use care not to hurt you anymore because you're in a very fragile state. This is not like any robocall you normally get. The NRA is well aware of what they are doing and maybe Im giving too much credit here but I think gun supporters know the wrong in this behavior as well.

Quoting soonergirl980:Are you claiming that the entire town of Newton is anti-gun? Also the NRA is not a person it is a group whose sole purpose is to support it's PAYING members like me to help protect our gun ownership rights. Why exactly would they care about anti-gun people?
Quoting coolmommy2x:The NRA doesn't care about anyone who has any dislike of guns.

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM

True dead is dead but how someone dies matters too.  People die in different ways, some ways are less traumatic and others are very traumatic for the families, friends and survivors. When I think about a classroom of horrified children trying to to get away and being shot, its very upsetting. When I think about what the last things these little kids saw and the way they may have felt before they died, it is very sad.  If it were my children, its all I would think about.  So in my opinion, the way people die is important and the respect you show the people that are dealing with not only the death but the way their loved ones died is important. They are not the first children to die this way but that doesn't make it any less heartbreaking.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Is there a different kind of dead? to my knowledge, there isn't. I've seen more dead humans than I ever wanted to, dead dogs, dead cats, dead horses, dead pigs, dead chickens, dead goats, dead ducks, dead deer, dead squirrels, dead rabbits, dead guineas, dead raccoons, etc. They were all the same kind of dead. I didn't mourn ANY harder for a dog I had quietly put to sleep than one that I never even knew laying smashed on the side of the road. I didn't mourn any harder for family members that died violently than those that died peacefully in their beds.

I do not for ANY reason believe that those 20 dead children and 6 dead adults are any more special than any other dead person ... except to those who personally knew and loved them. And, since that IS the same with every person (they are missed and mourned most by those who knew and loved them) it should not surprise you.

It isn't up to others to deal with our personal grief. That's personal. If anything, I'm offended by those who are using the deaths of children and adults they didn't know (and never cared a fig about until they hit the network news that morning) to try and sway a political agenda that is as flawed as it is wrong.

At least the NRA and those who support gun rights are basing their agenda on a centuries old law that was right then, and is right today (and for all the same reasons). Corruption and dictators will never fade into history, and that IS the purpose of the second amendment. I prefer a gun to any corrupt politician or dictator.

Quoting GeekMommi:

I'm not surprised you say you don't see a difference Farmlady.... but I think you do.  I know at this point that gun lovers saying anything the NRA does is wrong, will not happen.

Off topic

Cancer wasn't the focus of your post but I actually agree with your feelings on that matter.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting GeekMommi:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It is in poor taste and shows a complete lack of conscience.  Not surprising, however.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Unnecessary, unwarranted, senseless killing is always upsetting. Is what happened at Newtown any worse than a drunk plowing into a family car and killing four children? Do you think the last moments of a child in a car wreck are any less horrific than the last moments of those children in that school? I don't.

I think both should never happen ~ and I firmly believe that the punishment for anyone that causes either to happen should be death (preferably by hanging in the town square ... but I'd be happy with just old Sparky ior a shot of poison). What I think ... what I would prefer ... doesn't seem to matter.

Repeat DUIs happen every day. All over the country. People drive drunk with or without a license, with or without insurance, with or without even paying for the car in quite a few instances. Just because the vehicles sold to the general public aren't designed as a weapon doesn't mean that they aren't used as such (and military vehicles most definitely ARE designed as weapons ... similar to assault weapons being designated for military use vs. semi-automatics being designed for civilian use).

In both cases, it wasn't the object that caused the problem. It was a person. A person who made a terrible decision that resulted in innocent people being killed. In both cases it is a horrific death by any standard.

If ~ you ~ would not support banning vehicles to prevent drunk driving deaths, then you shouldn't be willing to ban guns. If anything, keeping in mind that most gun crime is drug/gang/police related and most DUI deaths involve random innocent people, the bigger push should be towards banning vehicles. Driving is just a privilege. It is abused. The laws are blatantly ignored and flagrantly flaunted ... but that doesn't mean repeat drunks aren't all over our roads. Gun crime involves less than 1% of all of the guns owned. Statistically the chances of being killed by a drunk are higher. If you add in the number of people permanently maimed as well as add up the dead, drunk drivers are far worse than any gun. Driving is merely a privilege. Owning guns is a Constitutionally protected right. Think about that for a while.

Quoting GeekMommi:

True dead is dead but how someone dies matters too.  People die in different ways, some ways are less traumatic and others are very traumatic for the families, friends and survivors. When I think about a classroom of horrified children trying to to get away and being shot, its very upsetting. When I think about what the last things these little kids saw and the way they may have felt before they died, it is very sad.  If it were my children, its all I would think about.  So in my opinion, the way people die is important and the respect you show the people that are dealing with not only the death but the way their loved ones died is important. They are not the first children to die this way but that doesn't make it any less heartbreaking.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Off topic

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting GeekMommi:

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Well I hate to say it but I think Newtown probably was more terrifying. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

Unnecessary, unwarranted, senseless killing is always upsetting. Is what happened at Newtown any worse than a drunk plowing into a family car and killing four children? Do you think the last moments of a child in a car wreck are any less horrific than the last moments of those children in that school? I don't.

I think both should never happen ~ and I firmly believe that the punishment for anyone that causes either to happen should be death (preferably by hanging in the town square ... but I'd be happy with just old Sparky ior a shot of poison). What I think ... what I would prefer ... doesn't seem to matter.

Repeat DUIs happen every day. All over the country. People drive drunk with or without a license, with or without insurance, with or without even paying for the car in quite a few instances. Just because the vehicles sold to the general public aren't designed as a weapon doesn't mean that they aren't used as such (and military vehicles most definitely ARE designed as weapons ... similar to assault weapons being designated for military use vs. semi-automatics being designed for civilian use).

In both cases, it wasn't the object that caused the problem. It was a person. A person who made a terrible decision that resulted in innocent people being killed. In both cases it is a horrific death by any standard.

If ~ you ~ would not support banning vehicles to prevent drunk driving deaths, then you shouldn't be willing to ban guns. If anything, keeping in mind that most gun crime is drug/gang/police related and most DUI deaths involve random innocent people, the bigger push should be towards banning vehicles. Driving is just a privilege. It is abused. The laws are blatantly ignored and flagrantly flaunted ... but that doesn't mean repeat drunks aren't all over our roads. Gun crime involves less than 1% of all of the guns owned. Statistically the chances of being killed by a drunk are higher. If you add in the number of people permanently maimed as well as add up the dead, drunk drivers are far worse than any gun. Driving is merely a privilege. Owning guns is a Constitutionally protected right. Think about that for a while.

Quoting GeekMommi:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Off topic

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting GeekMommi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)