Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O of sorts: Alcohol Ed for Youth

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 28 Replies
2 moms liked this
Let's educate our youth, both sexes, about alcohol, honestly, without victim blaming, PLEASE.

Teach *all* youth, ragardless of sex/gender, that drinking before *age 25, when human brains finally stop developing*, isn't healthy. Teach all youth that alcohol is a depressant & disinhibitor. Our bodies slow down on it, it is a toxin in high doses & can kill us, it is an addictive drug, & people do things when intoxicated they might not do when sober because they don't care as much about social norms. It might make you perpetrate against others personal boundaries when you would know better if you were sober. It might exasperate an anger problem & lead you to being abusive. Teach our youth to *never ever* drink & drive because it is lethal, mostly to others, so it will likely make them murderers. Teach our children that since alcohol is a depressant, not only does it slow all our organs down, it emotionally depresses us too. Let them know if that if they are having emotional problems, the *worst* thing they can do is self-medicate with alcohol. It often leads to addiction & suicide. Instead, seek out our & professional help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OneToughMami
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Or teach them not to drink at all and we will have more people like me YAY!!!! No but seriously, not enough alcohol education out there!

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My children have had drug education (which inlcudes cigerttes and alcohol) since kindergarten. The BOE pours thousands of dollars into their drug education program. And yet it astounds me that by the time children are in intermediate school (grade 5), they have already started to consume alcohol. By middle school (grade 7) drug use is prolific. By high school (grade 9) children barely take the time to even try and hide their use.

Parent education is also needed. Not just student education. But then again, if the parents are shooting up or lighting up, then all the education in the world will do no good.

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM

SMH, I thought this was already taught...my daughters began this education in Jr High

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1) Too late- they're drinking already.

2) Parent ed is *much* more powerful.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

SMH, I thought this was already taught...my daughters began this education in Jr High

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Neither my partner nor I drink alcohol. However, even when we did, I would have taught all of this to my child(ren). Not just the schools, me!

Quoting OneToughMami:

Or teach them not to drink at all and we will have more people like me YAY!!!! No but seriously, not enough alcohol education out there!

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Years ago when my girls were young ... I stopped allowing alcohol in the house. I wouldn't allow even beer in the house even for outdoor celebration. All because of the very reason the OP placed here in this post.

Looking back, I am glad I made that decision

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Parents first. Trickle down education.

Parents need to start teaching it young to their kids. It's so much more powerful than teacher taught.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

My children have had drug education (which inlcudes cigerttes and alcohol) since kindergarten. The BOE pours thousands of dollars into their drug education program. And yet it astounds me that by the time children are in intermediate school (grade 5), they have already started to consume alcohol. By middle school (grade 7) drug use is prolific. By high school (grade 9) children barely take the time to even try and hide their use.

Parent education is also needed. Not just student education. But then again, if the parents are shooting up or lighting up, then all the education in the world will do no good.

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM
3 moms liked this

a big issue I see is kids are watching their parents get drunk and act irresponsible...

Quoting Bookwormy:

Neither my partner nor I drink alcohol. However, even when we did, I would have taught all of this to my child(ren). Not just the schools, me!

Quoting OneToughMami:

Like wrestling? Click my siggy!

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I agree...DD has a friend who's parents do this and we know that it will be an issue soon in allowing her to go over there, even when we are present (which we are, as it is a neighbor and a place the neighbors gather)

I grew up in a household that allowed no alcohol and didn't drink I was in college. I had to teach myself about moderation through trial and error.

DH grew up in a house where alchohol was provided at home (better than having them drink somewhere else philosophy) but had learned to regulate by college.

IMO it is best to model responsible drinking (a glass of wine with dinner, NEVER drunk in front of the kids) and give them a full education on drugs and alcohol. But honestly, I am still researching and making up my mind about how to do this.

Quoting OneToughMami:

a big issue I see is kids are watching their parents get drunk and act irresponsible...

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Neon Washable Paint

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I think being responsible should be modeled at home. Looking at some posts on Cafemom I am like "eh...really in front of the kids?" hmmm and those people always seem to be the first shitting on teen parents

Quoting NWP:

I agree...DD has a friend who's parents do this and we know that it will be an issue soon in allowing her to go over there, even when we are present (which we are, as it is a neighbor and a place the neighbors gather)

I grew up in a household that allowed no alcohol and didn't drink I was in college. I had to teach myself about moderation through trial and error.

DH grew up in a house where alchohol was provided at home (better than having them drink somewhere else philosophy) but had learned to regulate by college.

IMO it is best to model responsible drinking (a glass of wine with dinner, NEVER drunk in front of the kids) and give them a full education on drugs and alcohol. But honestly, I am still researching and making up my mind about how to do this.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Like wrestling? Click my siggy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)