Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Father kills 10-year-old son while cleaning gun

Posted by   + Show Post

Father kills 10-year-old son while cleaning gun

Robeson County deputies say 34-year-old Christopher Stanlane was on the couch in his Fairmont home wiping down the gun around 4 p.m. Sunday when it fired.

Investigators say the boy was sitting in front of his father watching television and was struck in the head. Paramedic declared him dead at the home.

No charges have been filed, and deputies are still investigating the shooting.
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
mrs.hartman12
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Then he was an idiot because he should have safety checked it first! Everytime I pull the gun out of its spot I safety check it. Every gun is a loaded gun!

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Not to mention making sure it is empty.

Quoting wulfeyes05:

That's why you make damn sure to not point the barrel at anyone.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wulfeyes05
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Damn straight

Quoting Carpy:

Not to mention making sure it is empty.

Quoting wulfeyes05:

That's why you make damn sure to not point the barrel at anyone.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Oh my gosh, that is so so so so awful if it truly happened by a gun cleaning. Of course it would still be awful if the father murdered him and not by a mistake.  Can you imagine being the one responsible for your child's death? :( He should have been using proper gun safety though.  :(

Zadidoll
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Guns don't go off by itself. There's more to this story which will come out once properly investigated.

LuvmyAiden
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this

There are NO accidents! There is criminal negligence but no accidents. If you follow the very most basic rules you CANNOT get hurt. Guns do NOT fire themselves, period. I say at least 50 times in EVERY class I teach what the basic rules are and how following those SIMPLE rules will keep you and those around you safe. I have seen my small children master these concepts without much trouble but adults STILL manage to screw up this bad. Pisses me off. Negligence should be charged EVERY time. Maybe then people would pay attention!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Tragic and awful : (

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Yep. Mine did too and that is what we taught the kids and will the grandkids. My son is working on becoming an NRA instructor. Did you happen to see the post I put up that was ignored? Bloombergs commercial violated all NRA safety rules.

Quoting heresjohnny:

My grandpa is a retired game warden and my father taught hunter safety, so I was raised learning about gun safety. My dad taught us to ALWAYS treat a gun as if it were loaded.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Just another reason i will never have a gun in my house.
heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

No, I'm new to this group. I just joined a couple hours ago when I saw a featured post. Care to bump it or post a link for me? :)

Quoting Carpy:

Yep. Mine did too and that is what we taught the kids and will the grandkids. My son is working on becoming an NRA instructor. Did you happen to see the post I put up that was ignored? Bloombergs commercial violated all NRA safety rules.

Quoting heresjohnny:

My grandpa is a retired game warden and my father taught hunter safety, so I was raised learning about gun safety. My dad taught us to ALWAYS treat a gun as if it were loaded.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)