Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Father kills 10-year-old son while cleaning gun

Posted by   + Show Post

Father kills 10-year-old son while cleaning gun

Robeson County deputies say 34-year-old Christopher Stanlane was on the couch in his Fairmont home wiping down the gun around 4 p.m. Sunday when it fired.

Investigators say the boy was sitting in front of his father watching television and was struck in the head. Paramedic declared him dead at the home.

No charges have been filed, and deputies are still investigating the shooting.
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Replies (31-40):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

what a sad story..only takes 2 seconds to make sure the gun is unloaded

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Ok hold on I will bump it

Quoting heresjohnny:

No, I'm new to this group. I just joined a couple hours ago when I saw a featured post. Care to bump it or post a link for me? :)

Quoting Carpy:

Yep. Mine did too and that is what we taught the kids and will the grandkids. My son is working on becoming an NRA instructor. Did you happen to see the post I put up that was ignored? Bloombergs commercial violated all NRA safety rules.

Quoting heresjohnny:

My grandpa is a retired game warden and my father taught hunter safety, so I was raised learning about gun safety. My dad taught us to ALWAYS treat a gun as if it were loaded.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Cleaning a loaded gun?

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Sigh so sad.  Why must some parents be so dumb?

And why must those parents be allowed to have guns? I say we make it more like Japan (Not with the extreme limitations on guns) but with making it so people have to pass a written test. Get a background check, and a safe that seperates their ammo from their weapons.

Because they "accidents" seem to happen a lot more than they should.

B-b-b-but if I have to keep my ammo in a separate place, then it kinda negates the whole "self-protection" racketeering the gun huggers & especially traffickers have going on: can't blow away that rapist intruder if my Gock isn't locked & loaded!!!

That's what always makes me chuckle. A whole lot of people say they have a gun for protection of self and family in the event of an intruder..then go on to say they keep said gun in a locked gun safe with the ammo in a separate location. I always wonder if they really believe any intruder is going to give them time to get said gun out of locked safe and then go to another area to retrieve ammo. Most who invade another's home do so VERY quickly so really by the time one gets to the safe, the intruder is already inside doing damage. I honestly don't understand how these things happen. We don't own a gun but even my kids know to make sure a gun isn't loaded before doing anything with it.
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Quoting Zadidoll:

Guns don't go off by itself. There's more to this story which will come out once properly investigated.

actually, my BIL's rifle did go off by itself and shot through the walls of his house. It really depends on how well the gun is taken care of. (BIL was not cleaning it though, he is quite a bit smarter than that. his rifle was over70 years old)

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM

crying minitoo sad

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Guns don't kill people. Parents with guns kill their kids.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM
are you actually saying guns never go off on there own and someone has to pull the trigger for a gun to fire?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

There are NO accidents! There is criminal negligence but no accidents. If you follow the very most basic rules you CANNOT get hurt. Guns do NOT fire themselves, period. I say at least 50 times in EVERY class I teach what the basic rules are and how following those SIMPLE rules will keep you and those around you safe. I have seen my small children master these concepts without much trouble but adults STILL manage to screw up this bad. Pisses me off. Negligence should be charged EVERY time. Maybe then people would pay attention!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I was a parent with a gun, I never killed mine.

Quoting Momniscient:

Guns don't kill people. Parents with guns kill their kids.

hyper_bunny
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Why did he clean his gun around his son? If I was cleaning a gun I wouldn't have it anywhere near my son or anyone else just in case that happened. But then again, I don't own a gun. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN