Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Father kills 10-year-old son while cleaning gun

Posted by   + Show Post

Father kills 10-year-old son while cleaning gun

Robeson County deputies say 34-year-old Christopher Stanlane was on the couch in his Fairmont home wiping down the gun around 4 p.m. Sunday when it fired.

Investigators say the boy was sitting in front of his father watching television and was struck in the head. Paramedic declared him dead at the home.

No charges have been filed, and deputies are still investigating the shooting.
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Replies (41-50):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Guns don't kill people. Parents with guns will their kids.

Quoting EireLass:

I was a parent with a gun, I never killed mine.

Quoting Momniscient:

Guns don't kill people. Parents with guns kill their kids.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I am saying that one's finger is the primary safety. You can rig a gun to fire via some other method I suppose but yes in general pulling the trigger is what sets in motion the series of events that causes the bullet to travel out of the barrel. You can drop a gun and cause it fire(rare) but most modern guns have safety features to avoid this. In this story there seems to be no droppage or other issues that would cause a major malfunction like firing without a finger on the trigger. There is NO reason for a firearm to be pointing at a child(or anything you do not wish to kill) PERIOD so even if the gun had come to life and fired itself it wouldn't have hurt anyone if the dad had not been an idiot.

Quoting pixie92:

are you actually saying guns never go off on there own and someone has to pull the trigger for a gun to fire?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

There are NO accidents! There is criminal negligence but no accidents. If you follow the very most basic rules you CANNOT get hurt. Guns do NOT fire themselves, period. I say at least 50 times in EVERY class I teach what the basic rules are and how following those SIMPLE rules will keep you and those around you safe. I have seen my small children master these concepts without much trouble but adults STILL manage to screw up this bad. Pisses me off. Negligence should be charged EVERY time. Maybe then people would pay attention!

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You act like it's dumb but it's not really. When I hear a peacock crying I yell at my DH and he grabs the loaded shotgun to go find out wtf got in with the poultry this time. It's not nearly as efficient or effective if the gun and ammo and everything in the world are locked up in different places. How many chickens do you think a coyote could eat while we were fumbling around?

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Sigh so sad.  Why must some parents be so dumb?

And why must those parents be allowed to have guns? I say we make it more like Japan (Not with the extreme limitations on guns) but with making it so people have to pass a written test. Get a background check, and a safe that seperates their ammo from their weapons.

Because they "accidents" seem to happen a lot more than they should.

B-b-b-but if I have to keep my ammo in a separate place, then it kinda negates the whole "self-protection" racketeering the gun huggers & especially traffickers have going on: can't blow away that rapist intruder if my Glock isn't locked & loaded!!!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Exactly why one of the rifles is loaded and on the chair in the dining room.

Quoting furbabymum:

You act like it's dumb but it's not really. When I hear a peacock crying I yell at my DH and he grabs the loaded shotgun to go find out wtf got in with the poultry this time. It's not nearly as efficient or effective if the gun and ammo and everything in the world are locked up in different places. How many chickens do you think a coyote could eat while we were fumbling around?

Quoting Goodwoman614:
Quoting brookiecookie87:
Quoting Peanutx3:

And why must those parents be allowed to have guns? I say we make it more like Japan (Not with the extreme limitations on guns) but with making it so people have to pass a written test. Get a background check, and a safe that seperates their ammo from their weapons. Because they "accidents" seem to happen a lot more than they should. B-b-b-but if I have to keep my ammo in a separate place, then it kinda negates the whole "self-protection" racketeering the gun huggers & especially traffickers have going on: can't blow away that rapist intruder if my Glock isn't locked & loaded!!!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I read it the first time. My kids grew up with my loaded gun in the house. I didn't kill them. So no....parents with guns don't usually kill their kids.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting Momniscient:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM

This angers me.  The father was irresponsible and he caused the death of his own child.

My ex husband cleaned many weapons in our home.  With the children sitting next to him.  For all his faults, he was indeed responsible and safe when it came to handling of weapons.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EireLass:

I read it the first time. My kids grew up with my loaded gun in the house. I didn't kill them. So no....parents with guns don't usually kill their kids.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting Momniscient:

Right behind you.  My weapon, in my home, is loaded.....always.  I have not killed my children.

As I posted, my ex husband cleaned many weapons in our home.  Not once was there any accident, incident or otherwise.

Not all parents are irresponsible when it comes to weapons.   

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Most people in this group know that I have little issue with certain 'bans' being talked about on certain weapons, ammo and otherwise.  I also do not believe every citizen should be armed at all times.  That only tells me some people are a little off their rocker and need to take a look at where they live and how they live.

But....................I most certainly do not keep my ammo out and away from my weapon.  I understand why people feel it should be this way.  I get it, I really do.  But in my home..............I am not about to take the time to go get the ammo and get it in the weapon if some one is breaking in my home.   

Many years ago, when my older girls were 3 and 6, some one attempted to break in to our home.  I realized then that having that weapon where I knew it was, not the girls, fully loaded, was indeed the right decision.  Thank goodness I did not try to call the man's bluff by telling him I had a loaded weapon while I was attempting to actually load it.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM

It depends on the kind of safe. If it has buttons that you press I imagine you can open two in about 5 seconds each so maybe 10 seconds.

If it is the old fashion dial. Maybe like 15 seconds each. So around 30 seconds.

I agree that it would not be as efficient or effective as having it somewhere loaded up already. But if it saves lives you do not think it would be worth it?

What's an extra bite to a chicken to the lives of kids that it may save?

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting Peanutx3:

And why must those parents be allowed to have guns? I say we make it more like Japan (Not with the extreme limitations on guns) but with making it so people have to pass a written test. Get a background check, and a safe that seperates their ammo from their weapons.

Because they "accidents" seem to happen a lot more than they should.

B-b-b-but if I have to keep my ammo in a separate place, then it kinda negates the whole "self-protection" racketeering the gun huggers & especially traffickers have going on: can't blow away that rapist intruder if my Glock isn't locked & loaded!!!

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

No one thinks, "I think I am going to load my gun and accidently kill a kid today". And most of those parents have never killed one of their kids either. Untill it happens.

The whole, "I leave my guns loaded in the house and haven't killed one yet" is a crazy way to look at it. This is why we need stronger gun laws. And why people like me will suggest that there should be two safes for the weapon and the ammo. Because their are lots of parents like you who don't mind leaving loaded weapons in the house.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting Momniscient:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)