Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Father kills 10-year-old son while cleaning gun

Posted by   + Show Post

Father kills 10-year-old son while cleaning gun

Robeson County deputies say 34-year-old Christopher Stanlane was on the couch in his Fairmont home wiping down the gun around 4 p.m. Sunday when it fired.

Investigators say the boy was sitting in front of his father watching television and was struck in the head. Paramedic declared him dead at the home.

No charges have been filed, and deputies are still investigating the shooting.
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Replies (61-66):
ForeverInLove
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I'm sure this father is feeling horrible, and stupid at the same time. He made a mistake, and one that he really shouldn't have. 

A very sad outcome, and poor handling of a firearm. 

I do wonder why this shotgun was loaded, though, as a shotgun doesn't need to be left loaded for any reason. An officer leaves his hand gun loaded, but not cocked. No bullet int he chamber, and that is understandable. But a shot gun does not need to be loaded. My grandpa doesn't keep his loaded, and yells to my grandma to get him his gun, then to get him bullets when the black bears attack his bird feeder, or the idiots dogs come on the property. It's never left loaded...

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting lga1965:

I appreciate my parents more every day ....just reading here at CM has made me see how fortunate I was. They never owned guns, they never took drugs, they never abused my brother and I, they were gentle people and they used gentle words. I raised my kids that way and they are raising their kids that way. Thank goodness.

Not every parent who owns a gun is irresponsible in doing so.

I guess owning a gun for hunting and keeping it in a locker when it's not hunting season is an exception.  But I just think life is so much less stressful when there are no guns in the house and nobody feels the need to "defend themselves". Life is more positive and productive then. But this is based on myfamily and how we were raised and history of my friends and I realize we all have different backgrounds.

I do not live my life with the every day thought that I must defend myself and need a weapon on me at all times to do so.   

I know that, considering it is just my daughter and myself in our home, if some one was to attempt to break in, to harm my child, I will be thankful that I am very educated on the weapon I own.  As is my daughter.  I do not take it lightly.  It is indeed a huge responsibility, to own any weapon.  I am not a gun crazed fool who revolves my life around any weapon.  I have no interest in doing so.

Assuming all people who own a gun are lacking some how is a pretty wide assumption and I would garner to say highly unlikely.  

Very few people know I own a gun.  If their opinion of me changed because of my owning a gun.........that is on them and their own issues.  If I carried it with me at all times and lived every moment thinking of having my weapon with me, was out buying all the guns and ammo I could .......they may have a point.  lol  But I am just a woman who is well educated in gun safety, I like to target practice now and again but it happens very seldom.  I also have no problem with having the weapon in my home.  It most certainly does not define my character, the way I was raised or otherwise.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Good.
But if guns don't kill people then I guess in this case it means that guns dont kill children parents with guns kill their children.

Quoting EireLass:

I read it the first time. My kids grew up with my loaded gun in the house. I didn't kill them. So no....parents with guns don't usually kill their kids.

Quoting Momniscient:

Guns don't kill people. Parents with guns will their kids.

Quoting EireLass:

I was a parent with a gun, I never killed mine.

Quoting Momniscient:

Guns don't kill people. Parents with guns kill their kids.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Are you a dope?

Quoting Momniscient:

Good.
But if guns don't kill people then I guess in this case it means that guns dont kill children parents with guns kill their children.

Quoting EireLass:

I read it the first time. My kids grew up with my loaded gun in the house. I didn't kill them. So no....parents with guns don't usually kill their kids.

Quoting Momniscient:

Guns don't kill people. Parents with guns will their kids.

Quoting EireLass:

I was a parent with a gun, I never killed mine.

Quoting Momniscient:

Guns don't kill people. Parents with guns kill their kids.

SweetPea2004
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM

What an idiot who cleans a gun loaded?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I understand and agree with you to a point. I've also never lived in "those areas" where there were break-ins and crimes all around. My father had hunting rifles...none were ever used or talked about as 'protection' rifles. He kept them in the hall closet with our coats, and the ammo on the shelf up above. There were 8 kids, and nobody even thought about touching them. And the boys grew up to hunt, but none of them own a handgun for protection. The only reason I had one in the first place, was job related. I just kept it, when the job ended. I don't carry it, although I've always had a carry conceal license. Like you, I don't live in fear, I don't want to live in fear. But I am also aware, that crime does not only go on in "those areas". If someone broke into my home....obviously they'd be doing it with ill intent. What would I do? I could call 911...which would be expecting someone to come with a gun....or I could save time, and my life, and pull my own out.

Quoting lga1965: 
Quoting FromAtoZ:
Quoting lga1965:

I appreciate my parents more every day ....just reading here at CM has made me see how fortunate I was. They never owned guns, they never took drugs, they never abused my brother and I, they were gentle people and they used gentle words. I raised my kids that way and they are raising their kids that way. Thank goodness.Not every parent who owns a gun is irresponsible in doing so.

I guess owning a gun for hunting and keeping it in a locker when it's not hunting season is an exception.  But I just think life is so much less stressful when there are no guns in the house and nobody feels the need to "defend themselves". Life is more positive and productive then. But this is based on myfamily and how we were raised and history of my friends and I realize we all have different backgrounds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)