Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Homophobic Cardinal O'Brien Had A Long Term Boyfriend...

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 12 Replies
3 moms liked this

Homophobic Cardinal O’Brien Had A Long Term Boyfriend

2013/03/25
By

Cardinal Keith O'Brien, head of Scotland's Roman Catholic CHurch until he resigned today.

Photo from BBC.co.uk.

There is certainly no shortage of gay sex scandals in the Catholic Church these days, and here is yet another. Cardinal Keith O’Brien, formerly the head of the Catholic Church in Scotland, was already disgraced for allegedly making sexual advances on four different priests, and now, there is more. One of the priests, a man called “Father Peter,” admitted to a long term relationship with O’Brien in an interview with the Observer

Already ousted and disgraced over the original accusations, O’Brien now faces a possible police investigation, as well as an official Vatican inquiry. The ironic thing about all of this is that O’Brien has always been one of the most homophobic men in the church, calling homosexuality a “grotesque perversion,” and equating marriage equality to child abuse and slavery.

Father Peter says that he now considers the relationship abuse, and is currently in therapy to work through the issues. He says:

“I was vulnerable and he knew that. He was very charismatic and I couldn’t believe his interest in me. I thought he was helping me.”

This is typical of abuse victims, and I hope Father Peter gets the help he needs. He also says that his reasons for coming forward were good ones:

“I see the bigger picture: the cleansing of the church.”

The church needs cleansing, alright. In fact, it is my belief that the only way to truly cleanse it is to dismantle the whole damn thing and start anew, arresting every pedophile and pedophile enabler within. Or better yet, don’t start anew, and just let people realize what an abusive, corrupt institution it is.

The Vatican originally tried to squash the original accusations, saying that a “gay cabal” was looking to take Cardinal O’Brien down. From inside the Vatican:

These guys, we now know, were part of an inner circle. In the 30 years since these allegations took place there’s been ample time to complain. The Cardinal has had a huge profile for the past decade. But the door wasn’t just shut on them, it was bolted in the past 18 months.

I believe they wanted to silence O’Brien – as he’s about to do another conclave, and make a huge deal of it. As he’s retiring, a decision’s been taken to go public and take him down.

However, with this priest coming forward, they can no longer deny O’Brien’s misdeeds, and he will have to be dealt with. Hopefully said dealing comes sooner rather than later.

All I can say is that the more of these scandals that come out, the better to discredit this obviously harmful institution. Godspeed to anyone who is able and willing to blow the whistle.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/03/25/homophobic-cardinal-obrien-had-a-long-term-boyfriend/

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM
4 moms liked this

Not Shocked ... and I am not the only one

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Of course he most vociferously anti-gay religionists turn out to be gay themselves. They are just like politicians - the vehemence is a mechanism to try to keep any questions about their personal gayness go away.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Seems to be the way.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Of course he most vociferously anti-gay religionists turn out to be gay themselves. They are just like politicians - the vehemence is a mechanism to try to keep any questions about their personal gayness go away.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Just because he hit on priests, doesn't mean he's gay....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Quoting jllcali:

True. Maybe someone should start interviewing the nuns he was around.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I'd bet $1000 that O'brien was either molested as a child or groomed/led into a relationship as a young man by some priest and then, as the abused sometimes do, turned into an abuser himself. 

These things don't happen in a vacuum, people. 

No excuse for him and his deeds, of course.  Just a possible explanation, I'm willing to bet is the case. 

Granted, the RCC needs some serious restructuring. 

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

I'd bet $1000 that O'brien was either molested as a child or groomed/led into a relationship as a young man by some priest and then, as the abused sometimes do, turned into an abuser himself. 

No excuse for him and his deeds, of course.  Just a possible explanation, I'm willing to bet is the case. 

It's from addicting info, so I'm not sure how creditable Fr. "Peter" is.  I'm guessing it's just another attempt to try and push "homophobes" as being closeted gays.  

jllcali
by Jane on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I was joking, because of some of things I have heard catholic men say in attempts to avoid admitting to being gay, such as "I'm not gay/bi, I'm not the one giving blow jobs" (referring to a man giving him oral sex) or "I'm not gay/bi, only "bottoms" are gay" or "just because I flirt with a guy, doesn't mean I am gay"

But, you're right, the priest could be an equal opportunity swinging dick.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting jllcali:

True. Maybe someone should start interviewing the nuns he was around.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Makes sense. I have suspected that's why men join the Priesthood just for that reason for years. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out !.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Being molested does not increase the liklihood of being gay. 

Studies show that the majority of gay people were not molested as children. If they did suffer some kind of trauma, sexual or otherwise, it was at the hands of someone who did not accept their homosexuality. 

If I gambled I'd take this bet. But I do not. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)