Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

after visit to china, duggars consider adopting

Posted by   + Show Post
Did anyone see this this morning on the today show?

Anyone have a opinion on this?

If they adopt, it will make them 20 children.

I think adoption is a wonderful idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
celticwych
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

How do you know what the Duggar family is about?  Just wondering if you know this family personally and how they run the house?  Or, is this information you have picked up on the Internet, TV, other peoples opinions and your own opinion?  

Have you experienced how Chinas adoption rules are?  

Do you feel that a Chinese child would feel different with any American family or just the Duggars?  Unless they are adopted by another Chinese family any family is going to be obviously different.

Do you feel that large families shouldnt adopt or is this just for the Duggar Family? 

What do you consider a "reasonable amount of children"?  I personally couldnt handle 19 kids mentally or financially.  The Duggars seem to be doing just fine.  Financially they arent having any problems.  Being in the public eye they obviously know that there lifestyle is not the "norm" for the average American family.  Seems to me if those kids were not happy with there life they would leave at 18.  I dont think any of them have left the family due to being unhappy or wanting a different lifestyle. Come on just because its not for you doesnt mean its wrong.  I personally couldnt live like they do, but its a choice they have made and it works for them and many many other families in there religion.

You do realize that there are many families with large amounts of children.  Some even bigger then the Duggars. 

Thanks for the clarification.

Quoting BethanyJ:

Ummmm....I think adoption is wonderful in an ethical, open situation, but the Duggars adopting? If it were up to me, I'd say no.  First of all, they have 19 kids.  The older kids raise the younger ones, and while Michelle and Jim Bob seem like very devoted, loving parents, they are very "do as we say and feel or you WILL BE PUNISHED" and I would never want my child being raised like that if I were placing him or her for adoption.  I don't think China will allow the Duggars to adopt anyway, given their ages and previous health concerns, plus the amount of children they have. China has very strict laws as far as adoption goes, and I doubt the Duggars would be able to worm their way in.  A child is given up for adoption for various reasons, but the whole point is for them to be in a better situation than they would be in otherwise.  The Duggars' house would just be like a really really nice orphanage.  The child would always feel different and not one of the crowd, not to mention with 19 siblings, wouldn't get much individual attention.  If I were to give up my child, I'd want him or her to either be an only child or have a reasonable amount of siblings, 1 ideal, 2 pushing it, 3 at max.  Just my two cents.  

joyfulmom30
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I think adoption by any loving family is wonderful. What is wrong with having your children being well-behaved and obeying? I see so many parents these days who let their children do whatever the child wants and don't seem to care. It's nice to see a family friendly show that portrays children obeying their parents and getting some discipline.

celticwych
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I honestly think that families who are happy and secure in themeselves and there faith make alot of people uncomfortable.  For some reason the Kardashians are easier to watch LOL.

I dont understand why the Duggars make so many people mad lol.  They made the choice of having the amount of kids they have.  They havent taken a dime from Uncle Sam.  They have chosen to share there life on National Tv for whatever reasons.  They get compensated as they should and any other TV personality does.  There life style works for them. 

I couldnt live there life.  I do not have the patience or stamina.  Are they the happy go lucky group they show on TV?  Whos family is truly happy go lucky 24 hours 7 days a week?  No ones family is.   

Quoting joyfulmom30:

I think adoption by any loving family is wonderful. What is wrong with having your children being well-behaved and obeying? I see so many parents these days who let their children do whatever the child wants and don't seem to care. It's nice to see a family friendly show that portrays children obeying their parents and getting some discipline.

3mom627
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I seriously doubt that China would allow them to adopt. Their laws are now very complicated, age, weight, etc., We adopted two "older" children from Ukraine. 

3MOM627

have a nice day

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM

They can't adopt from China.... 

Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I think it would be great, but wait the youngest of their biological kids are tweens at least. Michelle and Jim Bob are so youngs still, they could easily adopt ten years down the road. Adopting is different than just adding another child of your own, and with that many kids in the house I don't know if it would get the attention it needs. Josie was is barely walking and getting better. Give her attention.

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM

They are not qualified to adopt from China. 

Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Did they really call her their problem child? Wow. 

Quoting AdrianneHill:

They are so shockingly selfish and self absorbed but because they shove a child at the camera, they are seen as giving and decent. I have huge amounts of pity for several of their kids as a couple made the mistake of thinking too much and trying to be individuals. Jinger (they call her their problem child) comes to mind and her inability to buy the crap being spread at the creationism museum.
It's easy to claim to a be a good parent when your children are the ones in charge of doing the actual raising, feeding, bathing, and clothing. The Dad just does discipline and mom isn't interested in anyone not on the tit anymore. That's the only reason they want to adopt, she wants to make it to twenty kids. Sad reason.

Chelsey191
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Good for them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Wydowness
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Don't they have like 20 kids ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN