Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

after visit to china, duggars consider adopting

Posted by   + Show Post
Did anyone see this this morning on the today show?

Anyone have a opinion on this?

If they adopt, it will make them 20 children.

I think adoption is a wonderful idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I was curious about a rumor I read that they declared their home a church so they could avoid property taxes.

So I ran a property search. They owned many properties at the time. The record also showed they paid property taxes on the house.

I still don't understand why you think they would have to be on welfare. Most families like that are not.

Quoting x_Starr_x:

I say I doubt it and you say they do well how about this how do you know you don't I'm only saying an opinion you think you know it all but aparently at just nuts

Quoting talia-mom:

Doubt it all you want, but it is true.

Why do you think they have to be on welfare? Is it really so hard to think that by years of living well below their means, they would not be able to buy properties and businesses to support themselves.

And if they were on it, you don't think some Duggar hater wouldn't be plastering it all over the media?

Quoting x_Starr_x:

I doubt that

Quoting talia-mom:

Actually they do make that much money.

Quoting x_Starr_x:

Quoting DixieL:

I know that it is up to them, but I think 19 is more than enough for any parents to have. I can't imagine how they supported the kids they have. Like I said though, it's none of my business.

Welfare Im sure.... He cant make that much money to support the army they have...... I think the duggars HAVE 19 TOO MANY DAMN KIDS......

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

They have actually never been on any kind of public assistance. They are completely self made and self sustaining. Their story is quite remarkable actually. You should read it sometime. 

Quoting x_Starr_x:

Quoting DixieL:

I know that it is up to them, but I think 19 is more than enough for any parents to have. I can't imagine how they supported the kids they have. Like I said though, it's none of my business.

Welfare Im sure.... He cant make that much money to support the army they have...... I think the duggars HAVE 19 TOO MANY DAMN KIDS......

Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I think most of the parents in the U S could take a lesson from them. They put God first in their lives and teach their children whats most important in life. I doubt they care what anyone thinks. I once heard her say she thought people were entitled to their opinion but she wasn't living her life to please anyone but God! I for one think he would be . Can all of us say the same? Doubtful
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Ugh. Any more what they do feels like a publicity stunt, and not an actual desire for children.  Sad.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Wonderful idea.  Hope they adopt from the US, though.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't adopt if they choose to. Children need a stable home and love, they obviously have a stable home and love is certainly NOT in short supply in their home. It's almost funny how others say they have too many kids (so we should set a limit on family size like China does?); the older kids look after the younger ones, etc. etc., the negative comments abound whenever the Duggar's are discussed.

There was a time when large families were the norm. All the children in a family helped out in one way or another, doing daily farm chores, looking after younger siblings, helping to plant and harvest among other things. For those who didn't have a large farm, teens often took on work in other area's or on the farms of others. The thing was, kids learned to work at pretty young ages and to do what was needed for the benefit of the family as a whole. These days kids go to school, home and perhaps a sports activity of some kind, a great many of them do not do chores or much of anything other than that. Everyone takes the stance of letting kids be kids on the one hand while expecting them to be able to make decisions in an adult manner on the other. We hear nearly constant comments about kids spending far too much time in front of the t.v., playng video games, etc., something which tends to happen when both parents work outside the home, leaving kids as young as 11 yrs. to fend for and entertain themselves until mom or dad arrives home, all in an attempt to give the children everything they want (the latest video game/ipod/ipad, etc. things they don't need but simply want) and hopfully a better life. For some of them, entertaining themselves ends up in gang activity and/or illegal acts of one kind or another. Yes there were abuses way back when, children working long hours in factories was obviously not a good thing, and there are abuses these days, sometimes in the form of a coach demanding hours of practice and pushing a child way beyond their physical limits in the name of winning that championship.

Then there are the Duggars. HORRORS!, They support themselves and their children aren't spending long hours playing video games or running around town aimlessly. They are taught respect and to contribute to the families well-being. They learn to take on responsiblity and be responsible; to cook; clean; care for others and to budget for a families needs; they learn the difference between wanting and needing and to put the families needs ahead of their own desire for something and it's all done with an amazing amount of love. Somehow I find nothing wrong in that. Perhaps if more families were just a WEE bit more like the Duggars, more of our young people would realize they are not owed everything they want, maybe fewer would get into trouble with drugs and/or the law and maybe more of them would become the responsible, educated and productive citizens we know they are capable of being.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Jim bob was smiling when he said but yes. It was apparently because she asks questions and doesn't just nod when she hears "Because me and god said so."
It was tragic seeing her in the creationism museum, trying to be good and turn off her brain. I feel very sorry for her and hope she gets the life she wants instead of the one her parents have planned for her. She gets the same life her mother chose which is getting married and having babies until physically unable to have more. That's fine if you choose it but those girls don't get the choice. They aren't allowed to leave until they're married and Dad chooses their husband. The boys get more freedom because it being the Christian way I guess but the girls are herded into studying things that will only help be wives and mothers such as nursing or midwifing. They don't have the option of not being a wife and mother and I find that sad

Quoting Annettey19:Did they really call her their problem child? Wow. Quoting AdrianneHill:They are so shockingly selfish and self absorbed but because they shove a child at the camera, they are seen as giving and decent. I have huge amounts of pity for several of their kids as a couple made the mistake of thinking too much and trying to be individuals. Jinger (they call her their problem child) comes to mind and her inability to buy the crap being spread at the creationism museum.
It's easy to claim to a be a good parent when your children are the ones in charge of doing the actual raising, feeding, bathing, and clothing. The Dad just does discipline and mom isn't interested in anyone not on the tit anymore. That's the only reason they want to adopt, she wants to make it to twenty kids. Sad reason.
Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM

That is so sad. I haven't seen the episode of them at the Creation Museum. Hopefully I can find it somewhere, because that would be interesting to see. 

I agree totally with almost everything you said. I used but have the "Oh but they're so happy! It must be what's right for their family!" opinon, but here's an interesting article that I found, and it really changed how I think about them. You might find it interesting. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2012/02/carefully-scripted-lives-the-real-reality-of-the-duggar-family-blessings/

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Jim bob was smiling when he said but yes. It was apparently because she asks questions and doesn't just nod when she hears "Because me and god said so."
It was tragic seeing her in the creationism museum, trying to be good and turn off her brain. I feel very sorry for her and hope she gets the life she wants instead of the one her parents have planned for her. She gets the same life her mother chose which is getting married and having babies until physically unable to have more. That's fine if you choose it but those girls don't get the choice. They aren't allowed to leave until they're married and Dad chooses their husband. The boys get more freedom because it being the Christian way I guess but the girls are herded into studying things that will only help be wives and mothers such as nursing or midwifing. They don't have the option of not being a wife and mother and I find that sad

Quoting Annettey19:Did they really call her their problem child? Wow. Quoting AdrianneHill:They are so shockingly selfish and self absorbed but because they shove a child at the camera, they are seen as giving and decent. I have huge amounts of pity for several of their kids as a couple made the mistake of thinking too much and trying to be individuals. Jinger (they call her their problem child) comes to mind and her inability to buy the crap being spread at the creationism museum.
It's easy to claim to a be a good parent when your children are the ones in charge of doing the actual raising, feeding, bathing, and clothing. The Dad just does discipline and mom isn't interested in anyone not on the tit anymore. That's the only reason they want to adopt, she wants to make it to twenty kids. Sad reason.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM

There is no reason for them to adopt. IMO they are not the best parents in the world

KRIZZ25
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
have any of u bashers watched the show at all?? thy grate parent and i that thy would do grate ...i would rather see a child go wth them than no one..lot better than octomom..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN