Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I possibly just avoided being assaulted

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM
  • 186 Replies
10 moms liked this

Ladies, this happened in the last hour. I'll be as detailed as possible. 

I like to work out at night because that's when my gym isn't busy. It's 24 hours 365 which is convenient. It's also only about 4 blocks away from my house and I always walk there and back. 

Today, I left the gym at about 12:30 am (it's about 1:10 now). When I walked out, there was a guy leaning against a cab. I didn't like the way he looked at me. I can't even describe it, it was just a look and I got a feeling like a punch to the gut. I immediately took my ipod ear buds out of my ears and wrapped the wire around my neck. I looked behind me and the guy was still looking at me. Half a block down and he is following me. I turned the corner and looked back and he was still following me. 

I was hit with an intense desire to run. I turned back around and as soon as I turned around and headed back to the enterance of the gym he walks into the street, still looking at me. I went back into my gym and told the guy at the desk what happened. He immediately went out the door to look. He came back and said no one was out there. That ass face must have run. I asked the guy if I could hang out for like 5 min and he said of course. 

I sat in the cafe area and the feeling didn't leave. There was no way I would be walking home. I asked the guy if I could use the phone to call my dad to come pick me up, he said yes. I called the house, my mom answered, I told her what happened and she said my dad was on his way. My dad shows up, I go home. 

I am alright but I'm sitting here and I'm mad. I am really mad and I just want to cry. I don't know what that guy intended but I know I just avoided something. I don't know what. Did he intend to rob me? Rape me? I don't know. I just don't like feeling like a target. 

Wondering what I was wearing? Gym shoes, yoga pants and a really big wool coat. So sexy. I know. 

Ladies, always listen to your gut. If it doesn't feel right, get out of there. Don't worry about being irrational or looking like a crazy person. Just listen. 

Carpy, That book you recommended, The Gift of Fear, I'm going to buy it and read it now. 

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been going to this gym at night for over a year now. This has never happened before. This is not a bad neighborhood despite this being Chicago. The northside of this city more or less is not dangerous. 

I don't know what the guy was, he looked middle eastern, possibly hispanic. 

lokilover
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Yikes. Glad you're safe.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:54 AM
3 moms liked this

Good for you, for paying attention to that God-given intuition we all have.  Some are just too nice, and don't trust their initial feelings.

YES, ALWAYS listen to your gut.

I was nearly attacked sitting in the driver's seat of my car in front of a bank machine once.  The guy in front at the machine, turned around, and with an evil look on his face, jumped onto my car, and started pounding in the windshield.   BUT -  I heard a voice say to me, as I was putting money away, just before it happened,"Turn the car on NOW."  I dropped the money, turned the car on, put it in reverse, and started to go back to my money, when this guy threw himself on my car.  I was able to squeal out, throw him off, and take off, praising God all the way.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I'm glad you listened. 

It was mainly the way he looked at me that freaked me out. I really don't know how to describe it. It gave me the creeps. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Good for you, for paying attention to that God-given intuition we all have.  Some are just too nice, and don't trust their initial feelings.

YES, ALWAYS listen to your gut.

I was nearly attacked sitting in the driver's seat of my car in front of a bank machine once.  The guy in front at the machine, turned around, and with an evil look on his face, jumped onto my car, and started pounding in the windshield.   BUT -  I heard a voice say to me, as I was putting money away, just before it happened,"Turn the car on NOW."  I dropped the money, turned the car on, put it in reverse, and started to go back to my money, when this guy threw himself on my car.  I was able to squeal out, throw him off, and take off, praising God all the way.

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:00 AM
3 moms liked this

huggingSo glad you are alright! ALWAYS listen to that voice,it is usually an angel trying to tell you something important.

SageAdvice
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:03 AM
1 mom liked this

YES always trust your gut.

Glad you're ok and home safe. 

RobinChristine
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I know that feelng well  I walk everywhere. Glad you are OK

wulfeyes05
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you listened to that gut feeling. 

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Scary! Glad that you are ok.
loverbug75
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Good on you girl! Fine tune that six sense!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured