Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Welfare fraud...

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:12 AM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Opinions on this?  I am glad that locals are stepping in and finally doing something about Welfare fraud.  Just this one town found at least 84 people committing Welfare fraud.  If I don't get this link to post correctly...sorry, appreciate it if someone could step in and help...thanks.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/03/26/news/lewiston-auburn/fraud-investigation-targets-lewiston-welfare-cheats/?ref=search 

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:26 AM
15 moms liked this

I wish we would stop corporate welfare fraud ... but I guess that would hurt us way too much to stop that BS

btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this

It would be great if we could accomplish both.  Fraud is fraud, either way....it is wrong!

Quoting Donna6503:

I wish we would stop corporate welfare fraud ... but I guess that would hurt us way too much to stop that BS

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

or perhaps both could be investigated

People don't have a right to welfare.

Quoting Donna6503:

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Good, more cities should do this.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, can you imagine if more towns/cities decided to do this, perhaps not so many people would try to commit fraud.  From all the I have heard, this is just the start of what this particular small town plans on doing.  From the sounds of things, they will be not only be cutting some people off from benefits that they are not entitled too, but also....charging them with a crime!

Quoting futureshock:

Good, more cities should do this.

IvoryIris
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:57 AM
4 moms liked this

People that commit Welfare Fraud act like its something to be proud of.... try providing, by yourselves, ALL the necessary essences to provide for a family.  Now THAT is something to be proud of. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Why not? The belief that people deserve Social Security because they were tax payers....or Veterans deserve money because they served....why doesn't a once working, down on their luck, person have a right to it?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Donna6503:

I

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you really compare earned benefits to welfare?

Quoting EireLass:

Why not? The belief that people deserve Social Security because they were tax payers....or Veterans deserve money because they served....why doesn't a once working, down on their luck, person have a right to it?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Donna6503:

I

flprincessmom
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM
3 moms liked this

IMO Corporate fraud is costing us WAY more than welfare fraud.....a welfare grant for a family of 3 here in Florida is $303 a month.....it would take a lifetime for that family to reach the amount in loopholes and such that the rich are getting away with....Start from the top.....I know a millionaire trust fund baby that has trusts not only from Great (3) Grandpa, but Daddy & Hubby, all dead, that has signed over her trusts as a "blind trust", so that she can live off the welfare system.....medicaid, medicare, food stamps & rent reduced housing.......all while driving a NEW LEXUS cash paid, every 5 years, MAC books and everything else....because of her medical condition she is costing the system MILLIONS of dollars a month....plus she gets SS.....so, truly who is committing more fraud? the rich or the poor?

btamilee
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Well...I can't answer that question.  But, what I can say is that I am glad that this town decided to take a stand against the obvious fraud taking place in their community, and I am glad that they did.  It will be interesting to see how many more people end up facing charges....

Quoting flprincessmom:

IMO Corporate fraud is costing us WAY more than welfare fraud.....a welfare grant for a family of 3 here in Florida is $303 a month.....it would take a lifetime for that family to reach the amount in loopholes and such that the rich are getting away with....Start from the top.....I know a millionaire trust fund baby that has trusts not only from Great (3) Grandpa, but Daddy & Hubby, all dead, that has signed over her trusts as a "blind trust", so that she can live off the welfare system.....medicaid, medicare, food stamps & rent reduced housing.......all while driving a NEW LEXUS cash paid, every 5 years, MAC books and everything else....because of her medical condition she is costing the system MILLIONS of dollars a month....plus she gets SS.....so, truly who is committing more fraud? the rich or the poor?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)