Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

being obese is a disability now?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 501 Replies
19 moms liked this
So, I'm listening to the radio this morning and, apparently, this year at the world cup they'll be adding seats in the disability section to accommodate obese people (who will pay disability prices for those seats). When did being obese become a disability? I understand that some obesity can be attributed to medical problems but, let's be honest, the majority is not. I'm not trying to fat shame anyone, I just don't get it. Why are we not trying to address the actual problem of obesity (since our nation is getting bigger and bigger) and get it under control instead of labeling it a disability? Can this open the doors for more people collecting disability because they're too fat to work? I'm just not understanding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kam013
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM
12 moms liked this

Yes, there are people who collect disability for being too overweight to work.  One of the news shows (60 minutes, Dateline) I don't remember which did a report on it last year.  Some of the reasons were due to breathing issues, walking etc.  

I remember watching it and wondering what we were doing to ourselves by allowing this to happen.  

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM
14 moms liked this
I hate when I'm at walmart and see fat people in the scooter carts I'm thinking hey fat ass walk the store now mind you I do understand medical issues that people can't fully help but for the most part its sheer laziness and eat eat eat. I'm rather discusted by this people who can help themselves but just don't care.
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM
20 moms liked this

The Simpsons did this almost 20 years ago

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow. I'm just in shock. I've never been what I consider obese but had enough to lose 90 pounds but I made a conscience effort to prevent myself from getting to that point of being able to even walk. I don't understand how eating too much warrants collecting disability.

Quoting kam013:

Yes, there are people who collect disability for being too overweight to work.  One of the news shows (60 minutes, Dateline) I don't remember which did a report on it last year.  Some of the reasons were due to breathing issues, walking etc.  

I remember watching it and wondering what we were doing to ourselves by allowing this to happen.  

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM
7 moms liked this
I have compassion for those who let themselves get to that point. There has to be some issues (depression) that causes you to just not care, but that compassion ends when we start labeling these people disabled further enabling them to get to the point where they can't work. (barring those with actual medical issues)

Quoting x_Starr_x:

I hate when I'm at walmart and see fat people in the scooter carts I'm thinking hey fat ass walk the store now mind you I do understand medical issues that people can't fully help but for the most part its sheer laziness and eat eat eat. I'm rather discusted by this people who can help themselves but just don't care.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this
I must've missed that episode when I was 12 lol

Quoting talia-mom:

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM
11 moms liked this
im opposite as I don't feel sorry for them they did it to themselves. Anyonecan over come weight some just don't care too. Its a shame really.

Quoting ashellbell:

I have compassion for those who let themselves get to that point. There has to be some issues (depression) that causes you to just not care, but that compassion ends when we start labeling these people disabled further enabling them to get to the point where they can't work. (barring those with actual medical issues)

Quoting x_Starr_x:

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

It's always been a disability. You can get disability for being too fat. If you can't walk without your body screaming at you you should really rethink your life choices imo.

I posted an article last year I think about how public transit is making the seats larger to accomodate obese people and how that reduced the # of people able to sit down over all. Obesity affects us all aye.

LuvmyAiden
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM
5 moms liked this

Because addressing it is not pc. It's that simple.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Hahahaha I love that episode. He gets fat in purpose so he can work at home...and he has that little bird doing his work...then buys a fatmans hat. Hahahahaha

Quoting talia-mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)