Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

E-mail from Wyldlife......

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 25 Replies

My 13 year old daughter has been attending the local Wyldlife meetings.  Last night she was excited to participate yet again.

Among the games played and the friends and such, talk came around to the headlines in regards to SSM. The kids were asked to provide their input on this.

My daughter simply stated she feels all men and women should be allowed to marry, regardless of the other person being a man or a woman.  

Just a bit ago I received an email from the leader who was at last nights meeting.

It is suggested that I 'kindly' speak with my daughter and 'remind' her of the 'correct pattern in which her thoughts should be formed in regards to homosexual behavior'.

Excuse me?

Honestly, I was a bit skeptical in allowing her to participate in this endeavor.  Not allowing her to was not the right decision to make.  At this point, however, I am re-thinking that.

I plan on letting her read the email when she is home from school. 

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I think you are on the right track. Good for your daughter. It would have been an interesting conversation to hear.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I agree with NWP... Talk to her about it and let her make the choice if she stays or not.. She seems to be one smart little cookie..

furbabymum
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM

what is Wyldlife exactly?? All I know is Wyld is the name of our electronic library system here.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Quoting furbabymum:

what is Wyldlife exactly?? All I know is Wyld is the name of our electronic library system here.

Quote:

What is WyldLife?

The philosophy of WyldLife is the same as Young Life's has always been — introducing adolescents to Jesus Christ and helping them to grow in their faith. But, because middle school kids are at a different developmental stage than high schoolers and need different things, we make a subtle delineation between the two.

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

You're daughter is on the right path? I think they maybe on the wrong one.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I have not responded to the email. It did not actually require one but I got the feeling one is expected.

I will let M decide how she feels about this and how she wants to proceed, with attending from now on, or otherwise.

She has really enjoyed it.  Of course, many of her friends are there.  She has grown in her understanding and her relationship with God.  It's been pretty cool to have discussions with her.

But she absolutely believes all people deserve what all should be afforded.  She has gay friends.  She would never think they are less than.  She knows people are born who they are.

On a side note............a few of the kids that attend use the night as an excuse to hang out else where.  She told me last night, three of her friends showed up but did not go inside the school.  They took off to hang out with others.  Seems a few do this on a regular basis.  Kudos to the parents for knowing where their children are and ensuring they do.  SMH.  These are grades 6-8.

furbabymum
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I see. So are you religious? Do you attend a church? Just wondering how she got turned on to this. A friend? I'd be proud of her and let her decide if she wants to keep going like you said. I would be talking to her more about what goes on though. I know youth group was intensely social for me growing up so she may be reluctant to give that aspect up. Just be best to dilute the poison best you can.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quote:

What is WyldLife?

The philosophy of WyldLife is the same as Young Life's has always been — introducing adolescents to Jesus Christ and helping them to grow in their faith. But, because middle school kids are at a different developmental stage than high schoolers and need different things, we make a subtle delineation between the two.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting furbabymum:

I see. So are you religious? Do you attend a church? Just wondering how she got turned on to this. A friend? I'd be proud of her and let her decide if she wants to keep going like you said. I would be talking to her more about what goes on though. I know youth group was intensely social for me growing up so she may be reluctant to give that aspect up. Just be best to dilute the poison best you can.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quote:

What is WyldLife?

We are Christian.  No, we do not attend a church on a regular basis.

She did start attending with friends.  I went a few times, with the friends and their parents.  The social draw was huge and I understood that was the main draw for her.  She still enjoys that aspect but she also comes away with much more.  She has a great respect for a few of the leaders.  A few others, she may not think they are all that great but she absolutely shows respect while in their class.

Yes, I will leave it up to her.  

Thanks for the input ladies.  This pissed me off but M won't know that. 

ACDC_fan
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM

DISGUSTING.

tscritch
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm. First, good for your dd for saying what she believes! I whole-heartedly agree with her. If they didn't want answers that could be different then what they wanted to hear, why did they ask? Seems like your dd has a good head on her shoulders, so she could probably decide for herself if she wants to continue going. If it were me, and she chose to continue, I would definitely discuss what goes on and how I/she feel about and agree/disagree with on what they say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN