Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unisex Restroom in High School

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 118 Replies

A school in Portland shut down, repurposed and then re-opened 6 restrooms in a high school. They are now unisex restrooms for the student population to use. Now the 10 out transgender students can use a restroom (one student was refusing to drink anything so to avoid the restroom). Thoughts?

http://living.msn.com/family-parenting/the-family-room-blog-post?post=111d418d-82b2-4b6a-9064-144d9eecd55d

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Linda on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Good idea.

You know that North America is alone in the 'mostly gender-specific' public washroom thing, right?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Is it a one stall restroom?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I doubt it. I have never seen a one stall restroom in a high school and these were previously used male or female restrooms.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM

All our new schools have them here....our school and high schools have had them for nearly ten years.

The elementary schools that are older have done away with the male female toilets and are in processes of upgrading with government funding supporting the change

I think the idea behind them is great....and it really has nothing to do with transgender children, it is just a nice side bonus :-)

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I dunno why it's such a big deal.

If a guy who feels like a girl needs to pee, he has to go into a stall anyway.

If a girl who feels like a guy needs to pee, she can also go into a stall.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Looks like they still have the reg bathrooms. These are just additions.
I'm glad there are now restrooms where everyone can feel comfortable.

Quoting purpleducky:

I doubt it. I have never seen a one stall restroom in a high school and these were previously used male or female restrooms.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Ok.  

They could always use the restroom.  They just had to use the appropriate restroom!  Gee, this makes it sound like those poor kids had not gone to the bathroom at school ever, because they couldn't go to a restroom already there.

How ridiculous.  How much did the taxpayers get hit for that??

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM
The article said it only cost a few hundred dollars.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Ok.  

They could always use the restroom.  They just had to use the appropriate restroom!  Gee, this makes it sound like those poor kids had not gone to the bathroom at school ever, because they couldn't go to a restroom already there.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

A restroom sign is about $8 at Office depot.  What big change would it be?  Tear out a couple urinals?  The womens restroom would need no change except a sign.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Ok.  

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM
3 moms liked this

No they had to use a restroom that caused psychological harm. Many choose to not use the restroom just to avoid this. And it was only a few hundred.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Ok.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured