Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think that being gay is a choice or genetics

Posted by   + Show Post

Just curious what people think, a lot of people say that they were born that way well then should there not be a DNA code for the gay gene?  They can find the code for male or female, brown and blue eyes and for certain diseases and disorders so then where is the gay DNA ?  If they are going to say that they were born that way well is there any definite scientific proof that can actually back this up.  So then if a parent has a gay test done on an unborn fetus and they do not believe in that lifestyle is that an okay reason to terminate the child just a few things to ponder.

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry, but one person's horrific treatment by her father, does not prove that all homosexuality is a choice.
Do you have any actual facts, beyond this one person, to prove it is a choice?

Quoting starh28momof2:

I have always been straight but, i know from experiance because of someone who was a very close friend of mine that it is not genetics.

she dated guys, was in love with guys, couldnt wait to get married and have kids of her own. her parents got divorced, her dad raised her and constantly told her how much of a dissapointment she was because she wasnt a boy he wanted a son. she started dating girls even though it grossed her out. she kept doing it though because she thought she would get his approval. now she says she's gay and has been in a gay relationship for 3 years. was she born gay? NO absolutely not. she chose to be that way!!!

Quoting katy_kay08:

did you choose to like men?  Do you remember facing that choice and picking guys?  

Quoting ambermario4ever:

I think it is a choice. It was not in my genes who I would marry I picked who I wanted to be with and marry. Just like they choose who they want to be with and they rather be with someone of the same sex. It's thier life thier choice and it dose not affect me so I could care less what they do.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starh28momof2
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM

No, i believe it is morally wrong. and i am happily married to my husband!groom

Quoting Woodbabe:

So you admit that you could turn into a lesbian if the right woman came along? 

Quoting starh28momof2:

no one is born gay,it is in no way genetics. people choose to be that way. now there are some people who nteach their kids to be that way which is just gross. but, everyone chooses whether they want to be gay or not in th end

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM
But do you have an attraction towards women?

Quoting starh28momof2:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting starh28momof2:

no one is born gay,it is in no way genetics. people choose to be that way. now there are some people who nteach their kids to be that way which is just gross. but, everyone chooses whether they want to be gay or not in th end

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
disneyrose
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I think they are born that way

MDWife12
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I think it a little bit of both - yes I think *SOME* people chose to be gay *NOTE I SAID SOME NOT ALL* but I also think that all the crap they put in the food ie added hormones to meat plays a HUGE role in messing with the developing fetus. You can not sit there and say that the crap they put in our food has no affect on a developing fetus :)

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Science proves absolutely NO such thing, whatsoever. 

If it were genetic, it would be passed down. It isn't.

I also don't believe it is a choice, as in "Oh, I think I will have spaghetti tonight".  But I do think it is very much shaped by childhood experiences and influences.

Quoting Octobersmom:

Science proves that it's genetic, religion teaches that it's a choice.  I'll go with science on this one.

gammie
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Quoting Saphira1207:

People are born gay, straight and bi-sexual.

I suspect it's the bi-sexual people you are talking about "choosing" a same sex partner.  And you're right, they do.  Because they are attracted to both sexes and have the luxery of playing with anyone who is willing to oblige them.  I think they're lucky!  :)

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM

But you chose your husband over the option of being with a woman? Its not really choosing unless both sides are equally appealing. If being with a woman sexually isn't attractive and appealing to you, are you really CHOOSING to be with your husband? Or was the feeling to be only attracted to men something you were born with?

Quoting starh28momof2:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting starh28momof2:

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

mommykate4
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM

some i really think were born that way and some choose the lifestyle bc they have something in there life that brought them to that point. my best friend in the army loved guys had a baby and was abused and then she was a lesbian and even got married. That girl cheated on her. Now she has a baby by a new guy and isn't a lesbian anymore...but then i knew a guy from school who talked and acted and openly admitted he was gay at very young age...so i think it really depends..its actually quite confusing to me...

ACDC_fan
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM

people are born gay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured