Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fake mourners for funerals???

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
  • 31 Replies

Business offers fake mourners for funerals

Worried about a funeral not having enough grieving attendees? One UK business has you covered.

TRUE

Rent-A-Mourner offers fake mourners for funerals

Funerals are sad enough affairs without worrying about whether enough anguished guests will show up to share the grief. To that end, Rent-A-Mourner, an Essex, UK-based business offers trained grievers who will attend any funeral -- for a fee, of course.

Staff briefed on deceased

As the Sun, Telegraph  and Inquisitr report, the Rent-A-Mourner service costs about $68 per mourner, each of whom commit to a two-hour shift. The actors are given a rundown of the deceased’s life story so they can handle themselves upon questioning from other family members. Owner Ian Robertson tells the Sun “Our staff will meet the client beforehand and agree ‘the story,’ so our staff will either have known the deceased professionally or socially. They will be informed of the deceased’s background, achievements, failures etc. so they can converse with other mourners with confidence.”

Not required to cry

Robertson says his business draws inspiration from Asian and Middle Eastern countries where he says hiring grievers is much more common. He notes that “The Middle Eastern way is to provide wailers – crying women – as opposed to the quiet, dignified methods we use.” Robertson says his mourners aren’t required to cry, but are more there to swell the number of attendees. According to a sales pitch on the business’ website the service is for people who “need to increase visitor numbers or introduce new faces” at a funeral. Business is booming, Robertson says, claiming a 50 percent increase in bookings over last year, with 52 funeral schedulings this year.

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM

WOW

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM
3 moms liked this

SageAdvice
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

This happens a lot. Some families will do anything to keep up appearances. Silly waste of money.

kam013
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It's really quite sad I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

How insulting. 

I'd rather no one show up than no one who cares at all.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This is an ancient custom lol....here is an image on a funeral urn from the Greek Geometric period. The standing figures on each side are professional mourners.

Neon Washable Paint

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Quoting TranquilMind:

How insulting. 

I'd rather no one show up than no one who cares at all.

It reminds me of something I heard recently about laugh tracks.

There's a physiological benefit to laughing.  And, strangely enough, you can get the same benefit from being in an audience with others doing the laughing for you, even if you don't laugh out aloud yourself.

I suspect wailers may in some way provide Catharsis for those too inhibited to do it themselves.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM

BUMP!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I have a friend in MA, who is Italian. He said there is a group of Italian women that visit almost every funeral, and they're called wailers. And that's what they do!

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

You took the words out of my mouth.

It's true!.  My (late) mother attended most all the funerals in our church.  She wanted to support the families, pray with them and be present for the `send off'.  She did it out of compassion.  Someone cared for her kindness.  When she passed 250 people showed up for her wake and nearly as many were present at her funeral the following day.

Quoting EireLass:

I have a friend in MA, who is Italian. He said there is a group of Italian women that visit almost every funeral, and they're called wailers. And that's what they do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN