Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How will federal recognition of Gay marriage affect your life?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Replies (151-160):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM
I came in late and haven't read through everything yet. Do before I jump in, did we get an answer to that question? I'm often curious as to what the effects gay marriage is supposed to have on our country. Then again, people have been blaming no fault divorce, primetime television, popular music and movies, birth control (figure that one out), and the destigmatizing of single motherhood for the teen pregnancy rate so there is no telling what the gays could be responsible for in forty years.
Probably climate change and the eventual bottoming out of the cafe curtain market at least, because outdated stereotypes can be funny.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Awww I'd just keep him home with me :)

Quoting parentalrights1:

Think of the bullying they will endure and the tail pulling! They will have to lick their crotches clean!

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I want a dog-human!  A snuggly best friend who will guard me forever?  YES PLEASE!!!

Quoting parentalrights1:

If we can breed lions and tigers and the various hybrids we have made then surely we can take a human and a dog and make a mixed breed baby.

It's simple biology people. Te sperm meets the egg and the DNA from each parent makes a baby. It will have dog traits and people traits.

Quoting MaggieO:

Are you completely insane?  Babies with dog heads is not genetically possible. 

Quoting parentalrights1:

But wat about the babbies with doggie heads? You don't want to do that to them do you?

It doesn't matter separation of church and state! Christians are right and people will go to hell if they don't lissen!

Quoting MaggieO:

Because we have separation of church and state, we do not all have to follow Christian teachings.  Legalizing gay marriage is not going to cause people to marry animals.  Homosexuality is not in any way like pedophilia.  I wonder if you are a troll.  How can your spelling be that bad?

Quoting parentalrights1:

The pedophiles and animal lovers will want to fight for marriage rights tew.

I don't want to see little baby humans with dog heads. No siree.

We must only allow one type of marriage lest bad types start coming forward. Sorry gays. Even though you're doing nothing to hurt anyone, some bad people may follow your example. We all have to follow the christian morals because they're speshul

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Quoting soonergirl980:

As I said in my very first post  twice I do not think it's a reason to deny the benefits. In fact I very specifically put it on the military to adjust putting the responsibility on them not anyone else.

We have always preferred to live on post. It can and does effect the quality of life. Almost all immediately surrounding areas of Army posts are s-it holes. Almost always living far enough away to not be in the ghetto is much more expensive housing. We have a family of five so our BAH basically never covers rent for us off post much less all the utilities and the cost of gas for my husband to drive back and forth multiple times a day so it very much effects our quality of living not only with money but time spent with my husband the kids with their dad which as a military wife you should know is very precious. So yes it does bring down our quality of life to live on post. Again not anyone else's problem to fix any issues with that but the military to build more houses. Which they are doing slowly but they are. Same with the medical issues if they want to keep well trained long term soldiers they need to improve quality of health care they provide.

The question was how will federal recognition of gay marriage affect your life? Not Should how federal recognition of gay marriage affect your life mean they should not allow it? I answered the question apparently the only answer is it means I get to go to weddings even if that s not the only way. I never said that should stop it in fact I said several times here and before that I fully support gay marriage being legalized, but that doesn't mean there won't be an impact and things the federal government will have to figure out.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting soonergirl980:

Considering I have lived in military housing on and off for an upwards of 11 years as an adult I realize that not everyone can live on post. Adding more people that are eligable for the lists will mean requiring even more people to live off post which could have an adverse effect on my families quality of life at any future installation. I'm not sure what there is to argue with that point it's the truth but again not a reason to NOT allow it I was just answering the question.

Making more people eligable to use military treatment facilities means even longer wait times for routine appointments therefore harder to see a doctor. We won't even talk about trying to see one when you are actually sick.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting soonergirl980:

I'm not saying this is a reason to NOT allow it just to be clear before I say this, but it actually could have an impact on our lives. Military already has a hard time housing military families this would increase the amount of people eligable for on post housing which certainly could have an effect on our quality of life. Also make it even more difficult to get seen at the doctor.

Again does not mean they should not do it I'm just saying there will be an impact on some people but hopefully the military will adjust quickly to the change...ok can't say that with a straight face hopefully the military will adjust eventually.

There is off base housing.  Not every one in the military, with a family, should assume they have the absolute right to live on any base.  

How would it make it difficult to be seen by a doctor?  I don't want to misunderstand you.

Okay.  This is something that happens regardless of the who and should be expected.  Living on base is not a guaranteed right and should never be expected or thought as one.  Living off base does not have to lower any one's quality of life.  During my 14 years as a military spouse, there were wait lists and even no housing available at all.  It comes with the territory.  

I'm not arguing with you, not at all.  I just don't understand now, just as I didn't then, some of the thinking when it comes to base housing versus off base housing.  It is it more convenient living on base?  Sure.  It is necessary, no.  It is a nice perk?  Sure.  Is it detrimental to the quality of life for any given family?  No.

As for the point in regards to the doctors.............you are right, it is certainly not a reason to deny other people based on some feeling they will have to wait longer.  Guess that could be said for both situations.

Your expectations are too high and you are placing far too much on the military itself without willing to realize that you all made the choice to be a military family.  Just because you are a military family should not always mean the military has to make things easier for  you.  I understand what you are saying but in reality, it is not the entire responsibility of the military to build more homes when there is not the room nor the money to do so.  If your BAH does not cover enough for you, you make cuts else where and stop relying on the military so much. 

Far too many military families rely and expect far too much.  Instead of stepping up and doing what they can to help provide for their large families, they rely too heavily on the military and when the military just doesn't have it, they tend to get upset.

I am not speaking of you directly, in general.  Too many times I have seen families get all up in arms because how dare the base not have enough housing or a house big enough for their large families.  Or the BAH wasn't enough for what they wanted and they were not willing to settle for helping themselves.  

I agree that, as far as the actual military doctors, there does indeed need to be improvement.  This is why I preferred off base doctors when possible.  The quality of care was always better.  But this is hit and miss, depending on where you are.

Again, speaking in general terms.  Not directly to or about you.

Of course, this is a bit off topic, having veered a bit in regards to SSM and the military.

viv212
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I cannot wait until I attend a legit gay wedding :) We'll all be so gay :)
viv212
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Every generation though looks down at the next generation thinking they are immoral. Older adults in the 40's thought the youngsters were starting to live immoral and wished for early 1900's morals to come back. Times change. The next generation is always coming up with something new.

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

They aren't just "my" morals, they are morals that used to be a normal part of our society. Morals that started going quickly down the drain starting with the sexual revolution of the 1960's. Not to say there wasn't immorality before, certainly there was and always has been, it's just become massively abundant in the last 40-45 years. It's gotten way out of hand and it makes me sad.

Quoting mikiemom:

Many do not believe that being gay is immoral. Why do you think society needs to live by your morals. What if you were forced to live by the morals of someone else. If you don't believe in Gay marriage don't participate, easy peazy. You can not force your moral beliefs on anyone else. Your moral beliefs are just that yours alone. Sociatal morals say it's wrong to discriminate against a person based on their sexual orientation.

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

I'm not talking about benefits I'm talking about morality. The other issues you mentioned, regarding race and women, are NOT immoral.

Quoting mikiemom:

this boggles the mind, so it's a bad thing for all people to be treated equally, I think I know where you are going with this. And FYI the same arguments were made when they racially integrated the military and when they allowed women in the military - it is a bigoted disgusting argument if you are saying giving them access to benefits will impact you adversely. THEY DESERVE BENEFITS>

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

That's not true. It will affect my society and my country and anything that affects these things affects me. The affects will be far reaching, more then anyone realizes.

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM
More weddings to attend? Lol It won't, my state legalized it already.
1985Supersport
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Won't bother me at all....my son't gay an I think it's GREAT!!!!

baileymarie723
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM
It won't affect me one way or the other, but I will be happy for the gay and lesbian couples that I know.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM

My cousin could get married if he wants too and I would be happy.

It's Cassandra Cat! 

baileymarie723
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM
How would it affect your society? You need to be a little more specific when you say they will be "far reaching". Are the gays going to make all straight people leave their significant others and become gay? Definitely not. Straight people are the ones that seem to try to force gay people straight not the other way around. Gay marriage will only affect you if you let it. There is no real adverse affect to them getting married. Some states have already legalized it, and they are still functioning like they always have. ALL people deserve the right to get married even if it isn't to someone of the opposite sex as themselves.

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

That's not true. It will affect my society and my country and anything that affects these things affects me. The affects will be far reaching, more then anyone realizes.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN