Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Victoria’s Secret’s New Lingerie Line Has Parents Outraged

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 41 Replies

What are your thoughts?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/03/26/victorias-secrets-new-lingerie-line-has-parents-outraged/

FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) – Victoria’s Secret has become a household name by making ‘sexy’ mainstream. But as the lingerie retail giant competes for new customers, some parents say they’ve gone too far – and too young – by marketing to teens and tweens.

“I think it’s terrible,” says Stephanie Jobe, a mother of four.

A recent marketing campaign dubbed ‘Bright Young Things’, included a line of thongs bearing slogans like ‘I dare you’, ‘wild’, and ‘feeling lucky’. “I was alarmed,” says Jobe. “I’m like no way! No!” Her husband Dean agrees, adding “it just sends the message that beauty is what’s on the outside and not what’s on the inside, and unfortunately a lot of young ladies fall into that.”

Parents of four, the Jobes say they are Victoria’s Secret customers but say the retailers lingerie is a purchase that’s made for Mom, not their 14-year-old daughter. “I understand they’re trying to make a dollar, but at the same time you’ve got to understand what is the message that we’re sending,’ says Dean. “I don’t like my daughters having the message that that’s what makes them beautiful, that’s what makes them attractive.”

Angry parents have taken to Facebook to blast the retailer over the campaign that critics have called too suggestive. But, there are supporters showing up on the online discussion as well – who point out that 12 and 13 year old’s can’t wear, what their parents don’t buy.

Victoria’s Secret has since posted this response on the company’s Facebook page. “In response to questions we recently received, Victoria’s Secret PINK is a brand for college-aged women. Despite recent rumors, we have no plans to introduce a collection for younger women. “Bright Young Things” was a slogan used in conjunction with the college spring break tradition.”

Still, some parents aren’t buying it – and say they won’t be buying any suggestive thongs for their teens and tweens. “Victoria’s is doing what sells,” says Cindy Jaynes, mother of a 13-year-old daughter. “Sex sells. It’s disappointing; but, it’s the age we’re in.” Jaynes says as a parentshe works to convey her family’s values to her daughter, but worries that the teen is still exposed to so many competing and often harmful messages. “They just want to be accepted. And they think if they’re doing this, this makes them seem older, more mature… It’s really sad.”

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:23 AM
5 moms liked this
I don't think VS is wrong. The message is for young women, not little girls. Don't want your 12 year old wearing a thong? Don't buy it. Seems simple to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I think if parents have an issue with how/what companies market/advertise, they need to teach their children about it and...you know...parent.  

We will never be able to fully shelter, for lack of a better word, our children from seeing some things.  The best we can do is equip them for how to deal with it.  

~"Dream the dreams of others and you will be no one's rival." ~

PerfectVirgo
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I don't shelter my kids. I will never buy it, and they wouldn't ask me to. We don't use the word Sexy in my home. It's considered a bad word. Not sex, but Sexy. My girls will not think about being sexy for a LOOOONG time.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't like the line and hope sales are bad enough so that they drop it.  

jamamama00
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

This is NOT TRUE. For the five thousandth time, those clothes are made for COLLEGE students. Hence, why they have a whole line of university wear. It isn't their fault that younger girls want the stuff. Don't want you kid wearing it? Don't let them wear it. Problem solved.

honey27
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Didn't they have this same problem a couple of years ago? They don't have to buy it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM
3 moms liked this

Where are all these tweens/teenagers getting the money to purchase their clothes? Lol I can only imagine the reaction on my father's face if I asked him for money to buy underwear that said anything other than the days of the week on them.  Why are so many parents afraid to say NO? This baffles me. 

Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
This was part of the PINK line, not a new line for Tweens.

I'm more horrified by other sick campaign ads, like Skechers Daddy's Money shoes... Which hide 2 inch wedges in sneakers... Which are available to even preschoolers who are big enough. After the outrage of their campaign, they changed them to Hydeez. So... You may buy you dd sneakers that are hidden heels without even knowing. Completely outrageous.
Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Enjoy this disgusting ad

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7AgE/daddys-money-secret-wedges-extreme-height
parentalrights1
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I guess I don't understand the big deal over a wedge

Quoting Lottie925:

This was part of the PINK line, not a new line for Tweens.

I'm more horrified by other sick campaign ads, like Skechers Daddy's Money shoes... Which hide 2 inch wedges in sneakers... Which are available to even preschoolers who are big enough. After the outrage of their campaign, they changed them to Hydeez. So... You may buy you dd sneakers that are hidden heels without even knowing. Completely outrageous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)