Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Toddler mauled by 7 dogs: 18-month-old dies

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 64 Replies

Swings at the park

A toddler mauled by 7 dogs has died. On March 28, ABC News reported that the 18-month-old was attacked by her family's dogs at her home in Ga. The young girl was out in the yard on Wednesday evening while her grandmother was inside the home sleeping. It is unknown how the girl got outside or why she was left unsupervised.

"The unidentified girl's grandmother was asleep when she heard a commotion and saw the girl being attacked as she looked out of her window. Authorities say the dogs, pit bulls and pit bull mixes, have been euthanized by Bryan County Animal Control," ABC Newsreported.

The toddler mauled by 7 dogs could not recover from the severe injuries that she sustained. Some people are wondering if the dogs dragged the little girl outside before they began jumping on her and biting her. It is unclear where her parents were (perhaps at work). At this point in time, no charges have been filed. However, that could change pending an investigation.

The 18-month-old obviously couldn't fend off the dogs on her own. She wouldn't even be able to fend off one dog, never mind seven. It is unclear whether or not she was rushed to a nearby hospital or if she was pronounced dead at the scene.

The toddler mauled by 7 dogs will be laid to rest soon.

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
That's very sad I RIP to that baby.

But really the dogs dragged the baby outside and the began to jump on here??!! WTF who the hell would think that?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM
3 moms liked this

What is someone doing with 7 dogs? I have a pit and she's wonderful with the kids but you must always supervise ANY dog especially big ones. 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor baby!! WTF is wrong with people, why would you allow a 18 month old to run around while you sleep? that is so damn disturbing

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm sad to say I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised by people without a clue. You know, we train dogs. It's what we've done for 25+ years. I have a service animal. We NEVER leave the grandchild alone in a room with any of them! They're dogs.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Last week a baby was killed in his/her backyard after a group of  rottwiellers (?) broke down the fence to attack the child, and this week yet another child is attacked and killed by pit bulls.  I'm not a `law for everything' type of person, but these breeds of dogs are the culprits in the majority of mauling cases across the country year after year.  You would think that this `coincidences' would be taken more seriously by the authorities and perhaps causing them be proactive instead of reactive.  Killing the dogs (which I agree with)  after they maul a child to death  does nothing for the child after the fact.  Why not protect the child in the first place. 

mom4awesomekids
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM

OMG how devasting RIP baby!!

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM

That poor baby!

I really hate irresponsible parents/caretakers and dog owners. They cause so much unnecessary damage and heartache.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I've 5 dogs all larger than pit bulls. While my DS is around them all the time it's never unsupervised. It just takes a moment. I can't imagine the heart ache!

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Probably because any and all dogs have the capacity to harm. The biggest difference is the normal type of people who buy these types of dogs. They buy them because they look tough, etc. Then they don't bother to train them.  I have 5 different breeds of dogs. Every one of them has the capacity to kill me and my children.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Last week a baby was killed in his/her backyard after a group of  rottwiellers (?) broke down the fence to attack the child, and this week yet another child is attacked and killed by pit bulls.  I'm not a `law for everything' type of person, but these breeds of dogs are the culprits in the majority of mauling cases across the country year after year.  You would think that this `coincidences' would be taken more seriously by the authorities and perhaps causing them be proactive instead of reactive.  Killing the dogs (which I agree with)  after they maul a child to death  does nothing for the child after the fact.  Why not protect the child in the first place. 

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM
4 moms liked this
Well there's a few issues here. Who has 7 dogs? And why was the grandmother sleeping and not watching the child? I just think this could have been preventable completely. High child proof locks on doors and lock dogs outside away from child. So even if the child was supposed to be napping but woke up and yoddled around, it couldnt get the door open and to the dogs. Or the dogs couldn't get to the child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)