Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In states where SSM is legal should churches be allowed to turn SS couples that wish to be married away? Do you agree with laws that protect churches by giving them that right?

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (121-126):
survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I think some churches do struggle but we have at least 6 or 8 big churches in our area.  Mega churches they are called.

One of these is located about a mile from here,  I had occasion to visit the church about a yr ago and I was shocked.  The lobby was circular around the sanctuary and spaced 5 or 6 ft apart were groupings of a couch, loveseat and a chair that were exquisite.  I bet those couches ran 2000 each and there were 10 of them and that does not includethe loveseats and chairs and decorative items.  I would estimate the value of the furnishings in their lobby at 60,000.00.  Does any congregation need lavish accommodations in order to worship, share in fellowship and receive the bread? 

No way man.

They could be helping the family that lost their house to fire around the corner, they could be doing a lot aside from furnishing their building in the best of the best.

The wealth that the Catholic church as a whole has amassed is staggering.

I do not wish to cripple churches that are struggling. but if these churches are able to afford such luxuries they should pay taxes and benefit their communities.

There is another church here that is run by a TV evangelist and there is a large buffet restaurant on the premises.  The restaraunt is a thriving established business but because it is part of the ministry it is also tax exempt.  Thats the kind of thing I am talking about.

Quoting Carpy:

Do you have a clue as to how rare that is? Most churches struggle.

Quoting survivorinohio:

To the why, many many churches have become pretty big business with lavish lifestyles of staff and private jets, resort facilities etc.  I think that churches should pay based on their income and the amount of charitable work they do.  If they really do put all their money back into their communities then they should be able to have earned enough credit to have no tax liability.  I dont want to see churches fall but they shouldnt rise to the places where they have in some cases without some civic responsibility.

Quoting talia-mom:

Why?

So you think all things in this country should be taxed?

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I absolutely feel that Churches should never be forced to join two people, of the same sex, together in Holy Matrimony.   If they choose to, fine.  Be forced to, no.

This and I dont think they should be tax exempt either.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I agree, it is a travesty. My aunt and uncle rented their parish church basement for their anniversary party after renewing their vows. It was economical and convinient. It would be sad if that couldnt happen any more.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Forcing a church to decline to let the community use the property is just a travesty.  This has been a major function of churches from time immemorial.

Ridiculous to be forced to either compromise scriptural mandates or decline to let the community ever use the building. 

I hope people wake up.

Quoting fireangel5:

Well then they church will just have to turn away groups who need that space. It's a shame. Only allow parishoners to use the facilities. 

I don't think a religious institution should ever be forced to perform ANY marriage if they have reason not to. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

Of course, a church is constitutionally protected.  For now.

Washington State is trying to ram through a bill to remove that protection. It is worded like this:

Section 7 of the SB 6239 :

Consistent with the law against discrimination, chapter 49.60 RCW, no religious organization is required to provide accommodations, facilities, advantages, privileges, services, or goods related to the solemnization or celebration of a marriage unless the organization offers admission, occupancy, or use of those accommodations or facilities to the public for a fee, or offers those advantages, privileges, services, or goods to the public for sale.

This means that if the church ever takes money for upkeep of the building from Awana (scripture memorization group), or an ESL group meeting there, or AA or ANYTHING, that the Church can be forced to perform "marriages" which violate scripture and the minister's religious beliefs.

That's just insane. 

A judge just forced a similar decision against a Church in January in New Jersey on the basis that intrusion was allowed into their religious freedom in order to support "important goals" (i.e. the homosexual agenda).

You never really thought this was just about love, or ceremonies, did you?  It isn't.  The goal is to deconstruct religious freedom.  And that is very dangerous.

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Churches can do whatever they want. Marriage is a legal status that you can acquire by going to a judge or justice of the peace.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

I think some churches do struggle but we have at least 6 or 8 big churches in our area.  Mega churches they are called.

One of these is located about a mile from here,  I had occasion to visit the church about a yr ago and I was shocked.  The lobby was circular around the sanctuary and spaced 5 or 6 ft apart were groupings of a couch, loveseat and a chair that were exquisite.  I bet those couches ran 2000 each and there were 10 of them and that does not includethe loveseats and chairs and decorative items.  I would estimate the value of the furnishings in their lobby at 60,000.00.  Does any congregation need lavish accommodations in order to worship, share in fellowship and receive the bread? 

No way man.

They could be helping the family that lost their house to fire around the corner, they could be doing a lot aside from furnishing their building in the best of the best.

I do not wish to cripple churches that are struggling. but if these churches are able to afford such luxuries they should pay taxes and benefit their communities.

There is another church here that is run by a TV evangelist and there is a large buffet restaurant on the premises.  The restaraunt is a thriving established business but because it is part of the ministry it is also tax exempt.  Thats the kind of thing I am talking about.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting survivorinohio:

To the why, many many churches have become pretty big business with lavish lifestyles of staff and private jets, resort facilities etc.  I think that churches should pay based on their income and the amount of charitable work they do.  If they really do put all their money back into their communities then they should be able to have earned enough credit to have no tax liability.  I dont want to see churches fall but they shouldnt rise to the places where they have in some cases without some civic responsibility.

Quoting talia-mom:

Why?

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I absolutely feel that Churches should never be forced to join two people, of the same sex, together in Holy Matrimony.   If they choose to, fine.  Be forced to, no.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Mega churches are far from the norm and a lot of the Wealth of the Catholic church is artifacts

Quoting survivorinohio:

No way man.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting talia-mom:

Why?

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Tax law written effectively would only tax the churches operating with a high budget.  There are 6-8 of them in my area.  If taxed appropriately it could mean a few hundred thousand tax dollars.  If you multiply that by all the megachurches it would be a considerable amount.

Quoting Carpy:

Mega churches are far from the norm and a lot of the Wealth of the Catholic church is artifacts

Quoting survivorinohio:

No way man.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting talia-mom:

Why?

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN