Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question...why is it that you think that you should have the right to make personal medical decisions for strangers? Would you share your doctor's phone number with strangers and let them make the call on treatment options for you?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
chloedee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM
3 moms liked this
The pro-life position usually (not always) advocates for the prohibition or restriction of abortion. That would be advocating to control someone else's medical decisions.

Quoting talia-mom:

Because not everyone who is pro-life thinks that way.

Your bias is showing.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Why is that not accurate?

Quoting talia-mom:

because you instantly lumped any woman that is pro-life into someone that wants to control your medical decisions.   That simply is not accurate at all.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Why?

Quoting talia-mom:

That is not an accurate question for many women who are pro-life.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

The question needs to be quantified.

Many women who are pro-life work endlessly to help these women through their pregnancies and after the birth because they believe that is the good and right thing to do.

They aren't out calling for making it illegal.  They lead by works and examples.

Quoting chloedee:

The pro-life position usually (not always) advocates for the prohibition or restriction of abortion. That would be advocating to control someone else's medical decisions.

Quoting talia-mom:

Because not everyone who is pro-life thinks that way.

Your bias is showing.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Why is that not accurate?

Quoting talia-mom:

because you instantly lumped any woman that is pro-life into someone that wants to control your medical decisions.   That simply is not accurate at all.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Why?

Quoting talia-mom:

That is not an accurate question for many women who are pro-life.

viv212
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM
If there was a ballot out, would you vote to make abortion illegal?

Quoting fireangel5:

So because I have an opinion different from yours. yet I do NOTHING to prevent you acting on your free will, suddenly I am making decisions for strangers? Why would I allow you or anyone to make medical decisions for me? I don't make them for you. Perhaps you would have disagreed with the course of action I took during my illness. You had your opinion but please explain how in any way, you having a THOUGHT differing from mine, affected me or my course of action in any way?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I am personally pro life and I have never done anything against those who use their free will. I am however entitled to my opinion that life is sacred. If you chose to abort, that's on you, not me. I think its  horribly sad that you would do so, but it will not affect me. 

I have a friend who had an abortion when we are younger. While I didn't take her there, I was waiting for her at her home when she returned to sit with her. 

Quoting chloedee:

So you're personally pro-life, but wouldn't vote to make abortion illegal?

Quoting fireangel5:

So because I have an opinion different from yours. yet I do NOTHING to prevent you acting on your free will, suddenly I am making decisions for strangers? Why would I allow you or anyone to make medical decisions for me? I don't make them for you. Perhaps you would have disagreed with the course of action I took during my illness. You had your opinion but please explain how in any way, you having a THOUGHT differing from mine, affected me or my course of action in any way?

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I have a question...why is it that you think that you should have the right to make personal medical decisions for strangers? I am pro life. However I have never made a personal medical decision for anyone except my children and unconcious patients under the tenents of the current laws. Would you share your doctor's phone number with strangers and let them make the call on treatment options for you? Why would I allow others to make medical choices for me? You are entitled to think what you want, but you have no right to interfer. Just as I respect others, I deserve the same in return. 

Quoting LucyMom08:

I'm not really understanding your comment in relation to my OP...can you elaborate, please?

Quoting fireangel5:

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

So you think individual women should be able to make their own choices?

Quoting fireangel5:

I have a question...why is it that you think that you should have the right to make personal medical decisions for strangers? I am pro life. However I have never made a personal medical decision for anyone except my children and unconcious patients under the tenents of the current laws. Would you share your doctor's phone number with strangers and let them make the call on treatment options for you? Why would I allow others to make medical choices for me? You are entitled to think what you want, but you have no right to interfer. Just as I respect others, I deserve the same in return. 

Quoting LucyMom08:

I'm not really understanding your comment in relation to my OP...can you elaborate, please?

Quoting fireangel5:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM

As I answered to someone already, I have not done anything to stop anyone. l think its wrong, I think its terribly sad but that's on the mother, not me. I would not vote period. Not for nor against. 

Quoting viv212:

Quoting fireangel5:

Kitschy
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM
7 moms liked this

Many people say they are pro life when they are instead pro choice but would never have an abortion themselves.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

WHy do I feel as if I am repeating myself. I think abortion is wrong, killing your baby is wrong. I will not stop you if you choose to do so, but I will have my own thoughts and opnions about your action. 

You have free will to do as you choose to do, regardless of what I think or believe. So if you CHOOSE to abort, I will not stop you but I will believe that you are wrong. 

And just as I respect your choices and beliefs to do as you see fit without calling you names or being nasty to you, I would expect the same in return. Sadly, that rarely happens. 

Quoting LucyMom08:

So you think individual women should be able to make their own choices?

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting fireangel5:

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Are you against people having the choice to vote?

Quoting viv212:

Quoting fireangel5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured