Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have a question...why is it that you think that you should have the right to make personal medical decisions for strangers? Would you share your doctor's phone number with strangers and let them make the call on treatment options for you?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Replies (221-230):
CityofRosesMama
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Pro-life women see your precious baby as a human... Because she is. She has a heart, a mind and a beautiful, little spirit... Even if her mommy sees her as a medical decision.
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I understand what you're saying. It still comes back to what I said and some people have become pregnant with birth control but as far as American Adoption. The reason many don't adopt in the U.S. is due to the laws. If I'm not mistaken, the bio-parents have up to 2 years to reclaim their child and adoptive parents don't want to take those chances. My cousin is also adopted.

Many children with issues don't get adopted either, even as babies. When my aunt and uncle were adopting, they turned down a baby who had both sexes and then my cousin became available. 

You can not stop the irresponsibility of people and making abortion illegal wouldn't do that. People got abortions then and they would do it now. Many unwanted children are abused and some die young. It's not our place to tell people what to do with their bodies. I may not agree with abortion for myself but it's certainly not my place to judge and add my two cents on something that affects another's body and life. 

Quoting baileymarie723:

In my opinion a woman CHOOSES to have unprotected sex (minus being raped) knowing that there is the chance of getting pregnant. If they knew that they didn't want a baby, couldn't afford a baby, etc than why didn't they make the choice at that time to eliminate the problem before it came about? They put themselves in that position, so to me it is a little selfish to just abort a fetus because THEY CHOSE to make a choice they couldn't take responsibility for. My husband was adopted and I know many other people who have been adopted. Yes, older children don't seem to get adopted, but there are people on waiting lists to adopt babies. What needs to happen is people need to start adopting from the US instead of from other countries than our orphanges and adoption agencies wouldn't be overflowing. I try hard to keep my opinions to myself, and I wouldn't say anything to someone who chooses to have an abortion, but could never agree with someone who would just choose to do that.

Quoting GOBryan:

baileymarie723
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Your point is why I am a non-vocal prolifer, which makes me sound pro-choice, but I would rather look at it as an "understanding" pro-lifer because of everything I have said in my other posts. I just feel my views put me more as pro-life. I guess I may be more on the fence with over half of me hanging off towards pro-life, lol. I can understand why pro-choicers believe what they do, but I still feel that abortion is not the right choice.

Quoting GOBryan:
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Quoting lokilover:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

But the two cant be separated. You cant give the fetus rights and the "father" rights without taking away the rights of the woman to control her own body. Why should a non-sentinent embryo have more rights that a fully sentinent woman?

Quoting livelaughlov26:

Because it isn't just another medical decision. It involves another life. I don't care what people do if it only affects them. But their is an unborn child. Also a father.

Exactly.  I really, really, really do not understand how anyone doesn't GET THIS.

I get it completely.  But even as a pro-choice woman, I can also see very clearly the average pro-lifer's feeling that the baby's right to life trumps the mother's more trivial issues.  When women abort a baby because it's a girl and they wanted a boy, because they weren't planning to start a family for another 2 years, because they don't think they can afford it or because of any reason other than their own health...that's not one equal versus another.  The pro-lifer put's the baby's right to life over the mom's right to convenience.  It's not an unreasonable point of view.

Convience is an incredibly loaded term. Are you for the outlawing of abortion?

I'm not for the outlawing of abortion.  First, history has proven that the outlawing of most things, generally...abortion included...does little to stop folks from doing it.  Just makes it messier.  Second, abortion is a necessary evil (in cases of rape or if mom's health is at risk to name just a few.)  When folks start legislating restrictions on abortion, the women who ought to have abortions might be less able to do so...slippery slope and all that.  Better to keep it legal.  And third, there are 7 BILLION people on this planet.  I don't think it's okay for women to just go aborting babies all willy-nilly.  But in the long run I consider overpopulation a larger concern to me and mine.

Now, I don't know when life begins...at conception, at birth, somewhere in-between?  My guess is that it's somewhere in-between.  But what if life really does begin at conception?  I allow for the possibility and yet I STILL believe in keeping abortion legal and easily accessible.  Makes me wonder...what kind of monster am I?

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Can I vote on your right to some other form of medical care? Since apparently its okay for te public to vote to decide what someone else can do with their body.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I think it's okay to vote on any issue a person chooses to.  I would have no problem with you voting in favor of a women's  right to abortion if it were an issue on a ballot.  

Quoting LucyMom08:

Do you think it's ok to vote on a stranger's uterus?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Are you against people having the choice to vote?

Quoting viv212:

If there was a ballot out, would you vote to make abortion illegal?

Quoting fireangel5:

So because I have an opinion different from yours. yet I do NOTHING to prevent you acting on your free will, suddenly I am making decisions for strangers? Why would I allow you or anyone to make medical decisions for me? I don't make them for you. Perhaps you would have disagreed with the course of action I took during my illness. You had your opinion but please explain how in any way, you having a THOUGHT differing from mine, affected me or my course of action in any way?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Her mommy is the one having to house her in her body, so in only matters what mommy thinks

Quoting CityofRosesMama:

Pro-life women see your precious baby as a human... Because she is. She has a heart, a mind and a beautiful, little spirit... Even if her mommy sees her as a medical decision.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Adam_JakesMomma
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LucyMom08:

I have a question...why is it that you think that you should have the right to make personal medical decisions for strangers? Would you share your doctor's phone number with strangers and let them make the call on treatment options for you?

How nonsensical are you! I don't want to make medical decisions for you but I don't support you being legally allowed to make so-called medical decisions that result in the intentional death of another human being.  Just as I wouldn't support you making the medical decision of removing a vital organ from an unwanted old lady in an old folk's home for your own use, I don't support you intentionally taking the life an unwanted child.  Pro-life people consider the life of the unborn EQUAL to yours, your life is NOT more important than that child's.  Your life is NOT more important than an old lady in an old folk's home.  Your life is NOT more important than any human being, regardless of where they are in lifespan development.     Don't equate an abortion with cosmetic surgery or blood draws. 

Adam_JakesMomma
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting lokilover:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

But the two cant be separated. You cant give the fetus rights and the "father" rights without taking away the rights of the woman to control her own body. Why should a non-sentinent embryo have more rights that a fully sentinent woman?

Quoting livelaughlov26:

Because it isn't just another medical decision. It involves another life. I don't care what people do if it only affects them. But their is an unborn child. Also a father.

Exactly.  I really, really, really do not understand how anyone doesn't GET THIS.

I get it completely.  But even as a pro-choice woman, I can also see very clearly the average pro-lifer's feeling that the baby's right to life trumps the mother's more trivial issues.  When women abort a baby because it's a girl and they wanted a boy, because they weren't planning to start a family for another 2 years, because they don't think they can afford it or because of any reason other than their own health...that's not one equal versus another.  The pro-lifer put's the baby's right to life over the mom's right to convenience.  It's not an unreasonable point of view.

Convience is an incredibly loaded term. Are you for the outlawing of abortion?

I'm not for the outlawing of abortion.  First, history has proven that the outlawing of most things, generally...abortion included...does little to stop folks from doing it.  Just makes it messier.  Second, abortion is a necessary evil (in cases of rape or if mom's health is at risk to name just a few.)  When folks start legislating restrictions on abortion, the women who ought to have abortions might be less able to do so...slippery slope and all that.  Better to keep it legal.  And third, there are 7 BILLION people on this planet.  I don't think it's okay for women to just go aborting babies all willy-nilly.  But in the long run I consider overpopulation a larger concern to me and mine.

Now, I don't know when life begins...at conception, at birth, somewhere in-between?  My guess is that it's somewhere in-between.  But what if life really does begin at conception?  I allow for the possibility and yet I STILL believe in keeping abortion legal and easily accessible.  Makes me wonder...what kind of monster am I?

What?  What idiot is questioning when life begins?  Life does begin at conception---this is a BIOLOGICAL FACT. 

girlsclubmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I am pro life and I do not think the women carrying the child should have the right to decide if that baby lives or dies. That is my opinion and although I am not out picketing abortion clinics, it is the way I will always vote.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:19 AM
I AM PROLIFE AND I CARE ABOUT MOM'S TOO!!!! I caan think of no reason why I would choose abortion. If you came to me and asked my adicce on dealing with an unwanted pregnancy I would discourage you from aborting. I would also respect your decision, even to abort unless.. I beleived you were using it as a form of birth control. In that case I would let you know in no uncertin terms that I thought you were being... we won't go there but suffice to say I wouldn't be popular with you. Let me clarify what I mean by using abortion as birth control. If you have sex without protection, get pregnant and decide to abort I am all out against that and will not support your decision. If you are using birth control and it fails, you get pregnant and decide to abort. Or if you do't use birth control because you and SO are actively trying to get pregnant, but you get raped and soon learn you are pregnant and decide to abort for fear of who the father is. I won't like the decision but i will remain supportive of you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)