Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have a question...why is it that you think that you should have the right to make personal medical decisions for strangers? Would you share your doctor's phone number with strangers and let them make the call on treatment options for you?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I call myself pro life, I believe in life and I belive those who abort are wrong. You are entitled to call me whatever you want, doesn't change what I consider myself.

Quoting AMBG825:

That's called pro-choice. 

Quoting fireangel5:

I think you have the ability to choose for yourself, however, if I had my way, you wouldn't choose abortion. But just as I won't march and hold signs of abortion to promote pro life, I won't march to hold signs saying you can choose. In my mind, that's the same as saying I agree with what you are doing. When I really don't but I won't go so far as to stop you nor shame you. But if you were to ask my opinion, I would obviously advocate for life. 

Quoting chloedee:

That's perfectly fair and you sound like a great friend! :)

I usually associate that position more with a politically pro-choice one. As in, you're against it for yourself and would prefer it be minimized, but you'd allow other women to make the choice for themselves and keep it legal.

Quoting fireangel5:

I am personally pro life and I have never done anything against those who use their free will. I am however entitled to my opinion that life is sacred. If you chose to abort, that's on you, not me. I think its  horribly sad that you would do so, but it will not affect me. 

I have a friend who had an abortion when we are younger. While I didn't take her there, I was waiting for her at her home when she returned to sit with her. 

Quoting chloedee:

So you're personally pro-life, but wouldn't vote to make abortion illegal?

Quoting fireangel5:

So because I have an opinion different from yours. yet I do NOTHING to prevent you acting on your free will, suddenly I am making decisions for strangers? Why would I allow you or anyone to make medical decisions for me? I don't make them for you. Perhaps you would have disagreed with the course of action I took during my illness. You had your opinion but please explain how in any way, you having a THOUGHT differing from mine, affected me or my course of action in any way?

AMBG825
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Thank you for proving my point that you have no clue what the pro-choice movement is aobut. 

Can I have your doctors phone number now. I think there is a procedure he absolutely NEEDS to do on you. 

Quoting talia-mom:

What in the hell is wrong with you? Do you always just make stuff up?

Quoting AMBG825:

Apparently not if you don't know that pro-choice is about women being able to make their own medical decisions without interference from anyone else. 

Pro-choice has little to do with abortion and everything to do with the right to be able to go to your doctor and decide for yourself what medical procedures you can have. If you have ever read the RvW decision, (which I can tell you have not) then you would understand it has little to do with abortion and everything to do with making a decision about your medical care by yourself. 

Either that or you just hate women and think all women are stupid and need a man to make medical decisions for them. 

Quoting talia-mom:

I have plenty of understanding of the subject, thank you for your lecture though.

Quoting AMBG825:

then you have no clue as to what RvW was about or about what it means to be pro-choice. The entire abortion debate is 100% centered around women being able to make their own medical choices. 

Quoting talia-mom:

because you instantly lumped any woman that is pro-life into someone that wants to control your medical decisions.   That simply is not accurate at all.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Why?

Quoting talia-mom:

That is not an accurate question for many women who are pro-life.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Why does the term 'pro choice' scare you?

Quoting fireangel5:

I call myself pro life, I believe in life and I belive those who abort are wrong. You are entitled to call me whatever you want, doesn't change what I consider myself.

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fireangel5:

I think you have the ability to choose for yourself, however, if I had my way, you wouldn't choose abortion. But just as I won't march and hold signs of abortion to promote pro life, I won't march to hold signs saying you can choose. In my mind, that's the same as saying I agree with what you are doing. When I really don't but I won't go so far as to stop you nor shame you. But if you were to ask my opinion, I would obviously advocate for life. 

Quoting chloedee:

I usually associate that position more with a politically pro-choice one. As in, you're against it for yourself and would prefer it be minimized, but you'd allow other women to make the choice for themselves and keep it legal.

Quoting fireangel5:

I am personally pro life and I have never done anything against those who use their free will. I am however entitled to my opinion that life is sacred. If you chose to abort, that's on you, not me. I think its  horribly sad that you would do so, but it will not affect me. 

I have a friend who had an abortion when we are younger. While I didn't take her there, I was waiting for her at her home when she returned to sit with her. 

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting fireangel5:

So because I have an opinion different from yours. yet I do NOTHING to prevent you acting on your free will, suddenly I am making decisions for strangers? Why would I allow you or anyone to make medical decisions for me? I don't make them for you. Perhaps you would have disagreed with the course of action I took during my illness. You had your opinion but please explain how in any way, you having a THOUGHT differing from mine, affected me or my course of action in any way?

AMBG825
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Most people who are pro-choice do not necessarily agree with abortion. They just don't want you or anyone else to decide what medical procedures a person should be allowed to have. 

If you believe that it is up to the person to decide what medical procedure they can have without interference, regardless of what that procedure is ...then you are pro-choice. Pro-life people want to make medical procedures illegal so you no longer have the choice to do the procedure. 

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting fireangel5:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM
She asked about being pro life. I gave a response.

Your rants have nothing to do with what I think about the government's role in the lives of people. You just went on an attack for no reason.

You don't get to define
Pro life for me

Quoting AMBG825:Thank you for proving my point that you have no clue what the pro-choice movement is aobut. Can I have your doctors phone number now. I think there is a procedure he absolutely NEEDS to do on you. Quoting talia-mom:What in the hell is wrong with you? Do you always just make stuff up?

Quoting AMBG825:Apparently not if you don't know that pro-choice is about women being able to make their own medical decisions without interference from anyone else. Pro-choice has little to do with abortion and everything to do with the right to be able to go to your doctor and decide for yourself what medical procedures you can have. If you have ever read the RvW decision, (which I can tell you have not) then you would understand it has little to do with abortion and everything to do with making a decision about your medical care by yourself. Either that or you just hate women and think all women are stupid and need a man to make medical decisions for them. Quoting talia-mom:I have plenty of understanding of the subject, thank you for your lecture though.
Quoting AMBG825:then you have no clue as to what RvW was about or about what it means to be pro-choice. The entire abortion debate is 100% centered around women being able to make their own medical choices. Quoting talia-mom:because you instantly lumped any woman that is pro-life into someone that wants to control your medical decisions.   That simply is not accurate at all.
Quoting LucyMom08: Why?
Quoting talia-mom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Quoting LucyMom08:

So what is pro-life, to you?

Quoting talia-mom:

I disagree.  She asked why do we think we have the right to control the medical decisions of others.

That wasn't not leaving any room for any other way of thinking.

Quoting chloedee:

Very true. I think the OP left room for those pro-life women to clarify that.

Quoting talia-mom:

The question needs to be quantified.

Many women who are pro-life work endlessly to help these women through their pregnancies and after the birth because they believe that is the good and right thing to do.

They aren't out calling for making it illegal.  They lead by works and examples.

Quoting chloedee:

The pro-life position usually (not always) advocates for the prohibition or restriction of abortion. That would be advocating to control someone else's medical decisions.

Quoting talia-mom:

Because not everyone who is pro-life thinks that way.

Your bias is showing.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Why is that not accurate?

Quoting talia-mom:

because you instantly lumped any woman that is pro-life into someone that wants to control your medical decisions.   That simply is not accurate at all.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Why?

Quoting talia-mom:

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM

No, but I did ask you what your definition of prolife is...

Quoting talia-mom:

Your rants have nothing to do with what I think about the government's role in the lives of people. You just went on an attack for no reason.

You don't get to define
Pro life for me

Quoting AMBG825:Thank you for proving my point that you have no clue what the pro-choice movement is aobut. Can I have your doctors phone number now. I think there is a procedure he absolutely NEEDS to do on you. Quoting talia-mom:What in the hell is wrong with you? Do you always just make stuff up?

Quoting AMBG825:Apparently not if you don't know that pro-choice is about women being able to make their own medical decisions without interference from anyone else. Pro-choice has little to do with abortion and everything to do with the right to be able to go to your doctor and decide for yourself what medical procedures you can have. If you have ever read the RvW decision, (which I can tell you have not) then you would understand it has little to do with abortion and everything to do with making a decision about your medical care by yourself. Either that or you just hate women and think all women are stupid and need a man to make medical decisions for them. Quoting talia-mom:I have plenty of understanding of the subject, thank you for your lecture though.
Quoting AMBG825:then you have no clue as to what RvW was about or about what it means to be pro-choice. The entire abortion debate is 100% centered around women being able to make their own medical choices. Quoting talia-mom:because you instantly lumped any woman that is pro-life into someone that wants to control your medical decisions.   That simply is not accurate at all.
Quoting talia-mom:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Spiders, snakes and sharks scare me as well as horror films. A word does not scare me. Why is it so wrong for me to consider myself pro life? That is what I believe I am. 

Quoting LucyMom08:

Why does the term 'pro choice' scare you?

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting fireangel5:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM
To let people who believe they have no choice but to end a life that there is always other choices and we are there to help if they need it.

Quoting LucyMom08:

No, but I did ask you what your definition of prolife is...

Quoting talia-mom:

You don't get to define
Pro life for me

Quoting talia-mom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Regardless, I prefer to consider myself pro life. I prefer for the unborn to have a shot at life. 

Quoting AMBG825:

Most people who are pro-choice do not necessarily agree with abortion. They just don't want you or anyone else to decide what medical procedures a person should be allowed to have. 

If you believe that it is up to the person to decide what medical procedure they can have without interference, regardless of what that procedure is ...then you are pro-choice. Pro-life people want to make medical procedures illegal so you no longer have the choice to do the procedure. 

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting fireangel5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN