Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Social Security and Medicare: Do you think you'll get it?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:31 AM
  • 77 Replies

Poll

Question: Will you get SS and Medicare?

Options:

Yes, and I'm 45 and under

Yes, and I'm older

No, and I'm 45 and under

No, and I'm older

I'm getting them right now!!!

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

So, I've been skimming the news and read a quote by Ann Coulter that says that we need to reform Medicare so that people who are currently 45 will get it.

Quote:

“I don’t know why Republicans keep saying we have to cut spending to save these entitlements for our grandchildren. We have to cut spending to save these entitlement programs for 45 year-olds. On our current spending rate, 45 year-olds will not receive any Medicare.”  

I realize that she's a professional troll, but honestly, I"m 33 and I've always felt that SS and Medicare wouldn't be around when I got old enough to use them.  This wasn't so much an informed opinion as a vague impression of them being too damned expensive.  So, what do you think?  Will they still be around?  Will older people still be forced to get Medicare even if they're still working (like my parents in a couple of years)?  Should I put more money into our IRA in anticipation of getting screwed out of the SS money we've already paid in?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
The only way, these programs will survive is by means testing. The real question is only a matter of "when" not "if."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I think its interesting that the only evidence that SS is in trouble comes from Koch funded conservative think tanks who want everyone to put their retirement in the stock market.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

They have been saying that it's in jeopardy since I was younger. I'm 46 and it's still around, however, SS was NEVER designed to be a primary source or retirement like so many use it for. It was designed to be a supplement.

It amazes me how many people bitch and moan about not getting enough money from it. But never bothered to save anything and make it their only source of income. 

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM

People need to consider mutual funds and other sources because SS was designed to become a supplement not a primary source. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

I think its interesting that the only evidence that SS is in trouble comes from Koch funded conservative think tanks who want everyone to put their retirement in the stock market.

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM

It's all going to run out when its time for my generation (90s kids) to retire.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM

They said that for my generation also. 

Quoting jeweldragons:

It's all going to run out when its time for my generation (90s kids) to retire.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I can't be sure, however we will probably be alright because of our savings and stocks.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I can't like this enough. Thankfully Matt left me in a position that I won't have to rely at all on social security. I am investing in my own retirement. 

Quoting GOBryan:

They have been saying that it's in jeopardy since I was younger. I'm 46 and it's still around, however, SS was NEVER designed to be a primary source or retirement like so many use it for. It was designed to be a supplement.

It amazes me how many people bitch and moan about not getting enough money from it. But never bothered to save anything and make it their only source of income. 

lga1965
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Medicare and SS are supposed to be "our savings acounts for the future" since we have contributed a portion of our paychecks ....so why can't we get them when we retire? I'm getting both now that I am retired. I contributed since 1960. I have faith that those of you pessimistc Moms who are 45 and under will also get your SS and Medicare someday. IF you have been employed and contributed ....get it? 

I usually can't stand Ann Coulter ....but she is right that we deserve to get SS and Medicare. If not, it would compare to having your savings account or IRA stolen from you at your bank. Know what I mean? It IS ours.

lga1965
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I have retirement funds too......but I would think I deserve to get back what I paid into SS. Otherwise, it would be the government stealing my money!

And, yes,UpSHeRises, I agree that the Koch brothers are totally for the big money citizens ....not the rest of us average people.

Quoting GOBryan:

People need to consider mutual funds and other sources because SS was designed to become a supplement not a primary source. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)