Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 16 Replies

My husband thinks that News & Talk Show people should be attractive as well as having the ability to report the news. We came from S. Florida where most of them are attractive to Central Florida. Not the same standard, per se.   

I understand that if a person if qualified to report the news, that should be all that counts but media counts on viewers. It's like when Ann Curry got replaced by the goofy looking chick that's on now.. What's her name? 

What do you think should be the requisites to be on talk and news shows? 

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it should be brains first and then attractiveness second. There is a reason why some news-people go into radio.

Ann Curry I thought was attractive. Savannah you are speaking of is goofy (but still attractive also) but that has been the Today show MO.

Now those women on FoxNews are over the top bordering on sex-kittens (except for a few handful cough Coulter cough). Some of those women need larger blouses.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it should be, but it is.  People don't like to look at unattractive people on TV.  IMO there are way more smart and insightful journalists who work in radio or print than there are on TV.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I don't think it should matter at all. I don't give a hoot what people look like.

PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I think brains should always come first. Perhaps the media wouldn't be the circus it is, and our society would have less issues, if we had more average people employed in these positions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Savannah looks like a rabbit. She's not attractive but worse, she's boring. Has no personality for the position. Also, our Fox News in Central Florida has dull looking people unlike the ones from South Florida. It was my husband's favorite news station but says that these dress boring. I personally listen to the news and don't spend much time looking at the news people but when he mentioned it, I did see the difference. 

Unfortunately, the news is about ratings and unless they are exceptional (which none are) then they need a little extra to boost those ratings. 

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I think it should be brains first and then attractiveness second. There is a reason why some news-people go into radio.

Ann Curry I thought was attractive. Savannah you are speaking of is goofy (but still attractive also) but that has been the Today show MO.

Now those women on FoxNews are over the top bordering on sex-kittens (except for a few handful cough Coulter cough). Some of those women need larger blouses.

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM
No I don't think it matters and why does it matter to people at all? They could go on the internet and look at all the attractive people they want.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I dont care what someone on a show looks like but lets not confuse the people you see on tv with actual journalists.
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they should be attractive, but being attractive is very subjective. In looking at a group of 25 females, a group of 5 or 10 people may find a few that they both commonly say are attractive but they will not all find the same person attractive. So perhaps it is merely that those in Central Florida are more attractive to a greater demographic there and being in S Florida would accustom you to a different sort of attractive. 

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM

You are probably very correct. Central Florida has a lot of northerners so they tend to be more reserved and conservative. S. Florida is the opposite of that. 

Quoting stormcris:

I think they should be attractive, but being attractive is very subjective. In looking at a group of 25 females, a group of 5 or 10 people may find a few that they both commonly say are attractive but they will not all find the same person attractive. So perhaps it is merely that those in Central Florida are more attractive to a greater demographic there and being in S Florida would accustom you to a different sort of attractive. 

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM

We have a weather lady on in Houston. She is pregnant and is really showing. She is about to pop. I giggle when I see her and think," we've come a long way baby!" Houston is more progressive though. We also have a female openly gay mayor, and  no one cares.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)