Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oklahoma to allow slaughter of horses for meat

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 18 Replies

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma took a step toward allowing livestock owners to slaughter horses for food on Friday when the governor signed a bill that permits the practice, but processing plants must first be authorized by the federal government.

Governor Mary Fallin's action legalized the slaughter of horses so that their meat may be prepared and packaged for export. But slaughterhouses must get U.S. Department of Agriculture authorization, Fallin said.

The slaughter of horses for food had been illegal in Oklahoma since 1963 and was carried out only in Texas and Illinois until Congress stopped it in 2006. The congressional ban was lifted in 2011.

Fallin said horse slaughterhouses in Oklahoma would use more humane practices than those in Mexico because they would be inspected by federal authorities.

Horse meat was at the center of a scandal that erupted in Europe in January, when testing in Ireland revealed that some beef products also contained equine DNA.

The United States Humane Society and animal rights activists opposed the new law in Oklahoma, while livestock interests said the change preserves their private property rights and will benefit horse owners.

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TugBoatMama
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Embarrassing.

lga1965
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

If you don't like the idea of horse meat, what about cow meat/ beef cattle ? I mean...they are both animals and we do eat beef cattle all the time. Many contries eat horse meat, dog and cat meat,etc. Does it really matter? I guess I don't like the idea of people eating dogs,cats which are considered pets, "members of the famly", but the rest? Who are we to say?

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Its just a "new" trend that we have not become accustomed too

Quoting lga1965:

If you don't like the idea of horse meat, what about cow meat/ beef cattle ? I mean...they are both animals and we do eat beef cattle all the time. Many contries eat horse meat, dog and cat meat,etc. Does it really matter? I guess I don't like the idea of people eating dogs,cats which are considered pets, "members of the famly", but the rest? Who are we to say?

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as it's labeled for those of us who can not consume it, for one reason or another.

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

this gives me horrific visuals. 

It was explained to me by an accomplished horsewoman that this really is best.  I accept that sadly but I will never eat horse.

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM
2 moms liked this

We don't have a big demand for horsemeat in this country, but slaughtering them here would mean they aren't put through the trauma of being shipped to other countries to be slaughtered.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I am opposed to horse slaughter plants although I understand the need for them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
girlsclubmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

It is awful -these horses are valued pets of farm animals and then when we are done with them they are slaughteres.Its horrific.

HuggaBug1991
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

As much as I love my horses, I will say its about time something like this came about. Horse meat is actually really good. I prefer my horse where I can ride them and love on them, but I can see the good side of this debate.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I only buy meat from my farmers here. I'd eat it if they butchered their own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)