Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Two Fifth-Grade Boys Plot To Rape & Kill Girl; Harm 6 Other Classmates

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Two Washington state fifth-grade boys, accused in a foiled plot to rape and kill a girl and kill or harm six other classmates, will stand trial as juveniles, a prosecutor said on Friday.

Stevens County Prosecutor Tim Rasmussen said the boys, 11 and 10, pleaded not guilty during an arraignment on Friday over the alleged murder-rape plot that also targeted other children in Colville, Washington, about 215 miles east of Seattle.

One of the boys wanted the girl dead because "she's rude and always made fun of me and my friends," according to court documents.

"There are very few prosecutions of a crime of this magnitude with boys of this age," Rasmussen told Reuters.

Stevens County Superior Court Judge Allen Nielson determined during the hearing that the boys had the capacity to understand right and wrong, Rasmussen said.

Under Washington state law, children ages 8 to 12 are presumed not to have the mental capacity to form an intention to commit a crime. Juvenile court is typically reserved for defendants between ages 12 and 18.

The 10-year-old suspect was charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, juvenile firearm possession and witness tampering, Rasmussen said.

The younger boy had taken a gun that originally belonged to his grandfather from his older brother's room, according to a declaration of probable cause.

The 11-year-old was charged with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, possession of a dangerous weapon, a knife, at school and tampering with a witness, Rasmussen said.

The boys planned to lure the girl away from school in Colville, a town of 4,600 people in eastern Washington, according to court documents.

A teacher found a list of six more targeted classmates, prosecutors said.

The fifth-graders had boarded a school bus on February 7 with a knife, a semi-automatic pistol and ammunition in a backpack on their way to Fort Colville Elementary School, prosecutors said.

A fourth-grader on the bus saw the knife and reported it to a teacher's aide, prosecutors said. One of the suspects later said he would kill the student who told school officials about the weapons, they said.

If convicted of all charges, the boys could each be sentenced to 103 to 127 weeks unless a judge finds "manifest injustice" and orders a longer sentence, Rasmussen said.

The boys have been expelled from the school district indefinitely. A status hearing is set for April 8.

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

How about treatment until such time as they are declared not a menace to society? if that's forever, so be it. 

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Something terribly went ,wrong in their upbringing. Too react this harshly. Parents need to teach their children how to respond postively to negatively. Also need to be taught self control. Violence is never the answer. This generation of kids want to kill anyone who look at them wrong. Why are they so angry? When i was their age, someone teased me, i didnt plot.to kill them. Maybe just avoided them on playground.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM

That is alarming. I am OK with just about any outcome that ensures that neither will return to a school environment. 

Fullmoon_Goddes
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Oh wow
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Perhaps be ause they've never had to deal with rejection since trophys are given to everyone and entire classes are invited to birthdays. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM

wowser...when did 10yo's feel that hard done by that they plotted death to someone for being rude?

someone has failed them...most likely the parents.

I always wonder what happened to make them so angry...are they so spoilt that they cant handle not having their own way?  are they that closeted that someone doing something outside their realm is considered highly offensive?  are they overexposed to outside violence that it is the answer?  or do they lack any sort of attention that getting it from being really bad is the only way to be heard?

They should be in the backyard playing on the trampoline....not plotting murder.  This is so sad :-(

KristenFowles
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM

WTF.

This stuff is scary as hell.  I don't understand kids today..

My son goes to a TINY tiny elementary school in a tiny well-to-do Maine town..

A little girl threatened to bring a CHAIN SAW and CUT HIM INTO PIECES to kill him.

And last week a child threatened to bring a BB gun to school and shoot all the students, and then go home and shoot their dad..

WTF.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:54 PM

103 to 127 WEEKS!?! That's all? Smh. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Wow. 

Sick, sick world we live in, if 10 year olds are plotting things like this. 

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Our world is so broken. As a teacher I see the chaos and dysfunction many children are forced to cope with daily. I wish I could say that I am shocked by this post, but sadly I'm not. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured