Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Condoms? Not For Our Students, Says Boston College

Posted by   + Show Post

Condoms? Not For Our Students, Says Boston College

For passing out condoms, students at Boston College could face disciplinary action. Earlier this month, university officials sent a letter to students who are part of a group called Safe Sites, which has 18 locations (almost all in student dorms) that provide free condoms, lubricants and pamphlets about sexual health.

Boston College has been aware of the Safe Sites program for two years, according to Lizzie Jekanowski, the chair of Boston College Students for Sexual Health (BCSSH) which runs Safe Sites. While the Safe Sites program has been in place for two years, BC only took action this month. In their letter, Dean of Students Paul Chebator and the Director of Residence Life, George Arey, told the students they could face disciplinary action as the Safe Sites program’s activities conflict with the “responsibility to protect the values and traditions of Boston College as a Jesuit, Catholic institution.”

BC spokesman, Jack Dunn, says that the students have “repeatedly failed to heed warnings about the condom giveaway as incongruent with the Jesuit Catholic values of Boston College.” Other Catholic universities, including the University of Notre Dame and Georgetown University, have said that they too have policies that ban students from distributing condoms on campus and that students could face disciplinary action for doing so.  Victor Nakas, a spokesperson for Catholic University of America, said simply to the Boston Globe that “one of the teachings of our faith is that contraception is morally unacceptable. Since condoms are a form of contraception, we do not permit their distribution on campus.”

The ACLU Steps In

The Massachusetts ACLU says that the threat of disciplinary action by BC is a potential infringement on the students’ civil rights. The ACLU may indeed take legal action: just because the school is a private institution does not give it the right to, in effect, do whatever it wants. In the Boston Globe, Sarah Wunsch, staff lawyer at the ­ACLU of Massachusetts, cites the Massachusetts Civil Rights Act of 1979, which does not allow private and public entities to interfere with an individual’s civil rights.

BC and other Catholic universities indeed note that the prohibition against students handing out condoms on campus is “not specifically outlined in a written policy.” But they claim that “student groups are well aware that they are prohibited from distributing birth control on campus” because such an activity runs “counter to Catholic beliefs.”

Boston College Putting Belief Over Civil Rights

The issue of access to contraception at Catholic institutions of higher learning arose last year after some schools spoke out against the health care law, under which most employers must cover contraceptives as part of their health plans. Catholic bishops and other Catholic officials sought to frame the birth control benefit as one of government infringing on their religious beliefs.

BC and other Catholic schools are trying to do the same about the distribution of condoms on campuses. The Boston Globe cites Michael Galligan-Stierle, president of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities, who invokes the principles of Catholic doctrine, specifically Pope John Paul II’s 1990 Ex Corde Ecclesiae and a “U.S.-specific interpretation of that document” that ­the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops issued in 2001.

What the condom distribution dispute really illustrates is how “official doctrine” can say one thing but people, including Catholics — in full awareness of their civil rights — do what they do. National surveys indicate that most Catholics consider the use of contraception to be “morally acceptable.” In fact, as Bridgette Dunlap has written on RH Reality Check, Catholic universities were for contraception before they opposed it:

From 1963 to 1967 Notre Dame held an annual “Conference on Population.” The conference, organized with the help of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, was intended from its inception to be a forum to develop a more liberal Catholic position on contraception. In 1965, thirty-seven scholars who attended the conference sent a statement to the Pope that declared “[t]here is dependable evidence that contraception is not intrinsically immoral, and that therefore there are certain circumstances in which it may be permitted or indeed even recommended.”

Dunlap points out that no one less than Notre Dame’s President, Father Theodore Hesburgh, later requested that his friend, John D. Rockefeller, hold “a secret meeting with the Pope to discuss the problem of overpopulation.”

As Jekanowski puts it, plain and simple, “People are having sex on campus both at BC and at other Catholic schools. Catholics and non-Catholics alike need access to this information to make the best decisions for their health.”

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/condoms-not-for-our-students-says-boston-college.html#ixzz2P5qymWjg

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Your poor kid.

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

I will not pay for my son to attend a religious school and the reason goes far beyond archaic and intrusive rules regarding condom distribution. Those institutions do not meet my moral standards. 

Quoting talia-mom:

You wouldn't help your child if they got into Notre Dame because they might not allow condoms to be given out in a dorm?

Quoting futureshock:

This is one reason why my kid won't go to a Catholic private school or college if I am paying for it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually, I had a great Mom, but I was still one of those girls who had no idea  Mom was bounced around to different homes after her mother died.  No one had the talk with her, so she didn't have it with me, thinking I would figure out what I needed to know, I guess.  So I had NO IDEA, as you say.

Back in my day, they didn't have the sex education until late middle school, so I am pretty sure I started my period first.  And sex education was pretty simple, direct, information about how reproduction happens, and birth control.  As it should be.  Not all the indoctrination with values stuff they do today. 

I did find out what I needed to know.  My Mom didn't talk to me about sex (though she did instill values), but she did teach me to read (when I was 4), so I read everything on birth control and risks/benefits that I found. 

I guess I assume that people are smarter than they actually are today.  What a shame.    There is NO EXCUSE in this day of instant information on the internet that someone should not know basic information. 

Quoting NWP:

It is possible in an ideal world I would agree with you....but too many parents fail their children in this regard with even the BASIC understanding of human biology. I can't tell you how many girls I knew growing up who had NO IDEA what was happening to them when they got their periods.

Schools have a responsibility to teach biology and reproduction as part of the health and science curriculum.

Parents have a responsibility to teach children context, relationship rules, personal responsibility and a decent moral code.

Quoting TranquilMind:

It is not the school's responsibility at all.

This is a parenting job, plain and simple.

Quoting NWP:

In my definition of comprehensive sex ed, it means that children get a good education about sex and relationships at home from parents as well as at school...Neither are off the hook for this and both have a responsibility.

One of these sources is failing the kids you witnessed.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting NWP:

And that is a good example of what happens when we don't have open and real life discussions about sex with our kids.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

They have a program like this at the dorms at my university. It's awesome.

You'd be shocked how often I'm passing through campus and hear a (idiotic) young girl talking about all her different partners. One even said her goal was to "try out as many as she could before picking a bf".

I've heard similar comments from high school students and around here they have comprehensive sex education in school.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

As a Catholic single mom of two boys raised in Catholic schools, I taught my boys sex ed, biology, feelings, relationships, consquences, etc. I established my hopes for them yet told them, if they should choose to have sex before I think they are ready, they need to be sure that every  single encounter has a condom being used and being used correctly. I showed them how to use one, using a banana, and told them that I would be more than willing to purchase them and keep them in an inconspicuous spot where they can retreive them privately. I told  them I hope they would feel comfortable coming to me to discuss things without shame or embarrassment.

I do believe that when attending Catholic schools, on should abide by the rules of that school. No distribution of BC allowed. Go buy condoms and use them. 

The only way these kids are going to practice safe sex is if someone gives them condoms for free? If you are adult enough to have sex, you damn well should be adult enough to buy a pack yourself. 

Quoting NWP:

It is possible in an ideal world I would agree with you....but too many parents fail their children in this regard with even the BASIC understanding of human biology. I can't tell you how many girls I knew growing up who had NO IDEA what was happening to them when they got their periods.

Schools have a responsibility to teach biology and reproduction as part of the health and science curriculum.

Parents have a responsibility to teach children context, relationship rules, personal responsibility and a decent moral code.

Quoting TranquilMind:

It is not the school's responsibility at all.

This is a parenting job, plain and simple.

Quoting NWP:

In my definition of comprehensive sex ed, it means that children get a good education about sex and relationships at home from parents as well as at school...Neither are off the hook for this and both have a responsibility.

One of these sources is failing the kids you witnessed.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting NWP:

And that is a good example of what happens when we don't have open and real life discussions about sex with our kids.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

They have a program like this at the dorms at my university. It's awesome.

You'd be shocked how often I'm passing through campus and hear a (idiotic) young girl talking about all her different partners. One even said her goal was to "try out as many as she could before picking a bf".

I've heard similar comments from high school students and around here they have comprehensive sex education in school.

kam013
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Honestly, we are not talking about high school kids here, these students are technically ADULTS.  They can very easily obtain condoms at a wide variety of locations within walking distance of this particular College.  Really not thinking this such a major issue for these ADULT students.  

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM
They're college kids...if they want to have sex and use condoms, they will. Not having them available right there won't deter anyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:34 PM

It is about time a Catholic college started acting like a Catholic college.   Maybe the left leaning administrators have finally been replaced.  they need to do that at several more, including Notre Dame.

Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:36 PM
A. It is a Jesuit college.
B. seriously people? We are teaching sex Ed in like 5th grade now? Kids in college need hand out condoms? There are still places to get free condoms if they have the need.

Meh. So many important issues out there, this is just overdone io. 18+ kids in college can go buy condoms if they choose a Jesuit college.
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Personal freedom vs. institutional control.

They can't stop students from having sex. These students wish to be smart, protect themselves. Some also wish to promote THEIR UNDERSTANDING about safe sex among their fellow students.

All the university has to do is say the group is not affiliated/sponsored with the school.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM
The only real problem I have with BC's rule, other than an increase in STDs, including HIV, is that this rule isn't in their written student manual. Once it is, they should enforce it consistently. Until it is, it's not really part of the rules & regs, & therefore they will be unfairly consequencing students.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM
They need to put it in the written policies, in order to be fair. Then students can make reasonable judgments based on written rules & regulations.

Quoting candlegal:

It is about time a Catholic college started acting like a Catholic college.   Maybe the left leaning administrators have finally been replaced.  they need to do that at several more, including Notre Dame.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN