Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Outrage from animal lovers as man tattoos his own pet DOG

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Is it cruel?

Options:

Cruel

His dog he can do what he wants.

not cruel

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

A North Carolina man has created huge controversy among animal lovers after tattooing Duchess - his own pet dog.

Ernesto Rodriguez, who is a tattoo artist and Army veteran, inked the 5-month-old purebred American Pit Bull on the underbelly at his basement parlor in Pinnacle, NC, on Wednesday.

When Rodriguez posted pictures of the emblem on Facebook he received fierce criticism from all over the U.S. But the man claims the tattoo can be used for identification and compares it to branding farm animals.

Controversy: This tattoo on a dog's belly has caused a storm between a North Carolina tattoo artist and animal lovers all over the U.S.

Controversy: This tattoo on a dog's belly has caused a storm between a North Carolina tattoo artist and animal lovers all over the U.S.

Duchess: Ernesto Rodriguez inked the 5-month-old purebred American Pit Bull at his basement parlor in North Carolina

Duchess: Ernesto Rodriguez inked the 5-month-old purebred American Pit Bull at his basement parlor in North Carolina

Rodriguez says that the design of the tattoo is related to Duchess's pedigree bloodline, according to WXII12. He claims that his pet was anesthetized and 'didn’t feel anything.'

'She got up and she’s been fine,' Rodriguez added.

But as soon as the tattoo artist put a photo of his pet's stomach on his Planet Ink Facebook page, it stimulated complaints and accusations of animal cruelty.

'This is so sad. There is not a dog in the world who deserves to go through this type of cruelty. I feel terrible for any dog in your care. I wish they would take them all away and find safe, loving homes for them,' said one animal lover. 

One Facebook user added: 'Please... do us all a favor... don't ever have children... I would hate to see what you would to your children if you ever got bored with them in the house.'

Another commenter posted: 'Receiving a tattoo requires consent. Your dog cannot consent. Please be respectful to those who cannot consent. Be respectful to your dog.'

Justification: Rodriguez said the tattoo can be used for identification and compares it to branding farm animals.

Justification: Rodriguez said the tattoo can be used for identification and compares it to branding farm animals.

An angrier person said: 'I hope that you rot in hell for the torture you made that dog endure.. you are a sick creature.. and a cruel human.. no better than someone who makes their dogs fight!!'

But Rodriguez told WXII12 that he didn't see a problem with his actions.

'What do they do when they brand animals and tattoo horses on their ear and brand their cow? You’re not abusing them. You’re just protecting them so they don’t get lost,' Rodriguez said.

'If you go on Google and type up dog tattoos, you'll get a thousand images of dogs tattooed. This has been going on for years,' the man added said.

On Facebook he responded with: 'Here is the final result for you haters out there... Animal control came looked at my beautiful dog and left.... wow... what a waste of tax payers money... so im still gonna tattoo my dogs when ever i feel like it... good try haters thanks for all the advertisement.'

No criminal charges have been filed in this case but investigations are continuing.

The local health department has since issued Rodriguez a cease and desist order. This requires that he stops tattooing until he receives proper zoning permits.

Tattoo
Tattoo

The tattoo artist (right) claims his dog didn't suffer during the process of getting the ink done (left). She 'didn’t feel anything,' Rodriguez said

Dr. Ken Wheeler, an investigator with the state veterinary medical board, explained to WXII12 that tattooing a pet is not illegal unless it can be construed as animal cruelty.

The definition of cruelty in this case takes in the dog feeling pain, or being hurt or maimed.  Rodriguez maintains that the dog was asleep the whole time.

His opponents are raising concerns about the legal use of anesthetics.

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM

What's funny is that I have heard good things about that studio... 

I will warn my friends away from it now.

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Off-topic

Why did you put "her" in quotations?

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I have no doubt that was "her" intention. It's the equivalent of dropping a bag of flaming dog shit on someone's door step then running away. I was more thrown off by it's comment because I had just been thinking the guy was kinda hot but it wouldn't be the first time I thought a gay man was attractive . Meh, whatever.

Quoting GeekMommi:

GeekMommi
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I was going to say:  the tattoo looks pretty ok though. lol

Quoting Sekirei:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:04 AM

yeah... my main issue is the ethics of the studio

Quoting GeekMommi:

I was going to say:  the tattoo looks pretty ok though. lol

Quoting Sekirei:

KristenFowles
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I don't LIKE it.. because the dog can't consent, nor can it be told WHY it's being hurt.

BUT, I can see benefits too I suppose.. However the tat on THAT dog is a little more detailed than to be specifically to assist with identifying should the owner ever need to..

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM

That was my thought too, tryin' to stir the pot.

Quoting GeekMommi:

I think shes just having fun watching everyone become undone.  

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Lindsey1126:

He should not be allowed to have pets and He looks gay..Poor dog!

He "looks gay".....?

And what the hell is it that makes you think he shouldn't have pets? Is there a big deal about poor little doggies.... but who cares if people cover their arms and backs and necks,etc, with a bunch of expensive PERMANENT tattoos?

Irrational. Really silly.

This could be a means of identification, particularly if the guy doesn't like the idea of a chip being inserted under his dog's skin.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Finch28
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM

dog lover and that tat doesn't look overly done.

Tattooing is a pretty common way of identifying a dog.

Often service dogs are tattooed inside their ears with a number.

and dogs tolerance for pain, are really a lot higher than humans. It probably didn't bother him as much as it would have bothered the owner for the same tat.

If it was a large one or a series or something I would call foul but this? .eh

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I think it is as abhorrant as branding cattle.  The guy should be brought up on animal cruelty and the animal should be seized.  I'm against ear cropping and tail docking too.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM
I know of some sib kennels thay do. I have two from Karnovanda that have them.

Quoting EireLass:

I have a whole circle of friends (in the dog world) that tat their dogs. Usually on the inner thigh or ear.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM
He looks gay???

Quoting Lindsey1126:

He should not be allowed to have pets and He looks gay..Poor dog!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured