Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pastor Harry Jackson Tells Rabbi that US is Christian Nation, but Muslims, Jews Can Believe What They Want

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM
  • 143 Replies

Pastor Harry Jackson Tells Rabbi that US is Christian Nation, but Muslims, Jews Can Believe What They Want

Follow us and never miss a story!

article image
By Alex Groberman, Sun, March 31, 2013

In honor of it being Easter Sunday, Face the Nation held a special panel discussion about religion in America. Pastor Harry Jackson and Rabbi David Wolpe were among the two faith leaders in attendance.

At one point during their conversation, Rabbi Wolpe noted that because America is such a diverse nation, citizens should be free to celebrate their differences as they choose to because "God is greater than any religious tradition." In response to that, Pastor Jackson said that the U.S. is actually a Christian nation, but that Christians were more than willing to ‘let' Jews and Muslims believe what they want to believe.

"In deference to the Christian foundation of this nation, it is that foundation that allows us freedom," Jackson told the panel (as transcribed by Raw Story).

"I don't see this diversity in other places. So to the credit of our Christian foundation of this nation, this freedom we're experiencing is because folks came and said, ‘We believe this is to be a Christian nation. We feel like we've been persecuted in the places we came from, and we're going to intentionally let this nation be founded in a way that if you come here and you're Islamic and you come here and you're Jewish, we're not going to persecute you.'

"Although we don't worship as Jewish people, we're going to let this country be guided in a place where there's going to be liberty and freedom or worship. I feel we'd be remiss if we act like some other set of countries has operated in this way."

Sources: Raw Story, CBS

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM
10 moms liked this

And this is why christians are bashed. NO The United States is not a christian nation, they need to just get the fuck over it and stop trying to push their religion onto everyone in this country.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM
3 moms liked this
Pastor Jackson is wrong. That's easy to see. The US isn't, & never was, a Christian nation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GeekMommi
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I would agree its mostly Christian but disagree Christianity is foundation of freedom. 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM

lol

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM
4 moms liked this
It's mighty white of him to allow other faiths to worship as they choose. Downright magnanimous isn't he?

Putz
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Our Nation is a secular nation with no one religion. This nation is not a christion nation, ignorant folks trying to claim that it is is offensive to everyone that is not christian. We get that you (general you) don't give a fuck about anyone but yourselves. That is why you *general you* would be so crass as to claim it is.

Quoting GeekMommi:

I would agree its mostly Christian but disagree Christianity is foundation of freedom. 

rfurlongg
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I suppose that is his perception.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GeekMommi
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:45 PM
4 moms liked this

You are the most obnoxious person on this site.  First of all, I'm not religious and yes of all the religious people we have in the US..... 73% are Christians.

Quoting mikiemom:

Our Nation is a secular nation with no one religion. This nation is not a christion nation, ignorant folks trying to claim that it is is offensive to everyone that is not christian. We get that you (general you) don't give a fuck about anyone but yourselves. That is why you *general you* would be so crass as to claim it is.

Quoting GeekMommi:

IhartU
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM
4 moms liked this

Since there are so many citizens here who 'claim' to be Christians, I can see where someone could make the mistake of thinking we're a Christian nation.

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
How big of him. SMH
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured