Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/30/breaking-chicago-police-swarm-mag-mile-wilding-scene/#comment-847878344

(CBS) - The warmest day of the year so far brought hundreds of mischievous teens to Michigan Avenue on Saturday. Police were calling it "mob action."

CBS 2 has learned about multiple incidents in at least four different locations along the Magnificent Mile and in the Gold Coast, yielding a slew of arrests. In all, 25 juveniles and three adults were charged.

Many innocent shoppers and tourists became caught in the middle of a very chaotic situation. Hundreds of teens littered Michigan Avenue and State Street near Chicago.

Things started turn bad around 6:00 p.m. Saturday, with teens purposely bumping into people, and causing fights among themselves.

Fifteen juveniles and two adults were arrested and charged with misdemeanor reckless conduct in connection with the incidents on Michigan Avenue.

Community activist Andrew Holmes witnessed some of the problems, while shopping with his family.

"You had a group of teens, close to maybe 500. They assaulted a Chicago police officer that was mounted on a horse and all of a sudden they assaulted a citizen walking the streets, just a normal citizen shopping and enjoying the weather," said Holmes.

Later that night, a man was attacked around 10:45 p.m. while walking near Chicago and Dearborn. Sources said he was jumped and punched in the face by a group of teens. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

In a separate incident, a group of women said they were attacked by a mob of girls on the CTA Red Line. The women reported a robbery once they got off the train at the State and Monroe station. Eleven females were arrested-10 juveniles and one adult-and charged with battery. Two of the teens also were charged with strong-armed robbery.

"I caution those parents if their child has been arrested which numerous teenagers have been arrested tonight, that you need to think about your child. Just don't say the Chicago police picked on your child, when we were watching all the assault going on, especially by teen women," said Holmes.

A total of 28 arrests were made last night surrounding downtown disturbances involving teens. Of those arrests, 25 were juveniles.

Charges range from battery and strong-armed robbery to reckless conduct.

CBS 2 has learned since these charges are misdemeanors, many of those arrested have already been released on I-bonds.

Sources tell CBS 2 that much of this activity was planned weeks ago through social media.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

My husband had to teach a seminar in Chicago this last December, and so we took the kids for a mini-break. 

We had a blast. 

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Wowza

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

This is unfortunate, and the only way really to combat it is to work with teens -- if teens start reporting the planning of these incidents to authority figures, we can do something about it.  But the teens involved are going to have to self-report.

This wouldn't stop me from visiting Chicago.  Far from it.  I love Chicago - lived there for several years.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Quoting Raintree:

My husband had to teach a seminar in Chicago this last December, and so we took the kids for a mini-break. 

We had a blast. 

think the tourists who were sucker punched had a blast too?

Nice to see this interests you not in the least.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Quoting MsDenuninani:

This is unfortunate, and the only way really to combat it is to work with teens -- if teens start reporting the planning of these incidents to authority figures, we can do something about it.  But the teens involved are going to have to self-report.

This wouldn't stop me from visiting Chicago.  Far from it.  I love Chicago - lived there for several years.

Yeah, that's a whole other part of this that is scary as crap; not ONE person who saw this being planned had the good conscience to report it?

WOW indeed.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting Raintree:

We had a blast. 

I've never visited a more friendly city.

I think that Chicago has issues that need to be dealt with. That said, I think they also don't get enough fair publicity. There are good things about the city. Actually- having lived in Denver and visit/lived in LA, I generally feel far more safe in Chicago than I do in either of those places.

We had a great time, there were police on every single block when we were there, people will help you find your way if you're lost, they'll advise you on where to find the best pizza or whatever. There are good people in Chicago who are passionate about the good of their city. 

Then we get to come home with notes on our porch about how Mexicans shouldn't live in America and how we breed too much for white America. I didn't have that experience in Chicago- but in Nebraska. Good old, safe Nebraska.

So you can shut the fuck up about my feelings about the victims of crime. 

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Yeah, sorry I am not going to pat your back and do the "OMG POOR YOU" routine, you have your groupies who do that for ya.

I am also not interested in you taking a post about mob violence on non brown people and making it about how awful it is for you to be making mixed babies in America today. (your words)

I hope you feel better though, gotta a bit of a nasty mouth on ya this mornin.

Get you some fresh air.

:)

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting Raintree:

We had a blast. 

I think that Chicago has issues that need to be dealt with. That said, I think they also don't get enough fair publicity. There are good things about the city. Actually- having lived in Denver and visit/lived in LA, I generally feel far more safe in Chicago than I do in either of those places.

We had a great time, there were police on every single block when we were there, people will help you find your way if you're lost, they'll advise you on where to find the best pizza or whatever. There are good people in Chicago who are passionate about the good of their city. 

Then we get to come home with notes on our porch about how Mexicans shouldn't live in America and how we breed too much for white America. I didn't have that experience in Chicago- but in Nebraska. Good old, safe Nebraska.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Some perspective:

Murders fall 42 percent in America's deadliest city: Chicago

M. Spencer Green/AP file

By Tracy Connor, Staff Writer, NBC News

Three months after Chicago notched the most murders in the nation, officials are touting a dramatic downturn in crime.

In the first quarter of the year, murders dropped 42 percent over the same period last year and shootings were down 27 percent -- reductions that authorities say were fueled by anti-gang initiatives.

"These numbers are progress but they are by no means victory," Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said in a statement.

The encouraging figures come after a series of crimes that made Chicago a symbol of urban gun violence.

The nation's third-largest city ended 2012 with the most slayings: 506. Then came the shooting death of innocent teenager Hadiya Pendleton, who had just performed with her school marching band during President Obama's inauguration weekend activities. She was killed during the deadliest January that Chicago had seen in a decade.

But March, in particular, brought good news for the city and its beleaguered police force: murders down 69 percent, with 36 fewer people slain than in March 2012.

There were still horrific headlines out of Chicago last month, though, such as 6-month-old Jonylah Watkins being gunned down in what police said was a gang-related shooting aimed at her father.

And on the day that Mayor Rahm Emanuel and McCarthy announced the new crime stats, they also had to answer questions about a wild weekend melee by teenagers along the city's Magnificent Mile.

McCarthy told NBCChicago.com that the advent of warmer weather was partly to blame for the disturbance because it brings young people outside.

Since Pendleton's murder, the Police Department has put more officers on the street and City Hall is beefing up after-school and summer job programs to stop youths from falling in with gangs.

McCarthy said the first-quarter numbers are "encouraging" but cautioned that there are no shortcuts to cracking down on crime.

"It's not like a Jenga game where if you pull out that one stick everything falls down," he said.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Radarma, do you have issues reading?

Where did I say that it is 'awful to be making mixed babies in America today'?

Nowhere?

Shut it. 

Quoting Radarma:

Yeah, sorry I am not going to pat your back and do the "OMG POOR YOU" routine, you have your groupies who do that for ya.

I am also not interested in you taking a post about mob violence on non brown people and making it about how awful it is for you to be making mixed babies in America today. (your words)

I hope you feel better though, gotta a bit of a nasty mouth on ya this mornin.

Get you some fresh air.

:)

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting Raintree:

We had a blast. 

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Did you stay downtown? Were you around to see the holiday windows and the German market? I love taking the train down and wandering thru the market, have done that with the kids since they were still in a stroller :)

Quoting Raintree:

We had a blast. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured