Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Marriage is more than a piece of paper: ‘Playing house is not a good look,’ ex-girlfriend of ‘Sesame Street’ actor learns lesson the hard way

Posted by   + Show Post

‘Playing house is not a good look,’ the ex-girlfriend of ‘Sesame Street’ actor Roscoe Orman learns that lesson the hard way

Here’s a sad tale of another woman having to learn the hard way that living together as husband and wife is not the same thing as being husband and wife.

Here’s a sad tale of another woman having to learn the hard way that living together as husband and wife is not the same thing as being husband and wife.

Sharon Orman, the partner of “Sesame Street” actor Roscoe Orman for close to 40 years and the mother of his 4 children, is claiming that the actor left her destitute after all these years to marry another woman.

Roscoe played Gordon Robinson, one of the original residents of Sesame Street on the TV program of the same name. On the show Robinson was teacher who lived with his wife Sharon. The idyllic life of marital bliss that Robinson created on the show could have been a mirror or his life at home with his real life Sharon–the only problem was that Orman never actually married the woman whom he spent decades with in a real-life relationship.

Yes, you read that correctly. In 40 years and after 4 children Roscoe never actually bothered to marry Sharon Orman. Ms. Orman even legally changed her last name to Orman. According to her, she had no idea that the man whom she referred to as her “husband” had taken up with another woman until she found pictures of said woman on her ex’s telephone.

Eventually Roscoe left Sharon and legally married the woman whose pictures Sharon discovered–Kimberley LaMarque Orman.

Sharon and Roscoe Orman during happier times

Sharon and Roscoe Orman during happier times

Currently Sharon Orman says that she is sleeping on the couch of one of her children. Her ex has not only cut off contact with her, but she claims he doesn’t even make contact with his children anymore.

But Ms. Orman isn’t taking her treatment at the hands of Roscoe lying down. She filed a complaint against her ex in New Jersey Superior Court. She claims that because they were “living together as husband and wife for almost 40 years,” she is entitled to spousal support.

The court has yet to rule on Ms. Orman’s complaint, but it is unlikely that she will be receiving any financial support from her ex. New Jersey, the state the couple resided in for the entirety of their relationship, does not recognize common law marriage.

Common law marriage NJ is not permitted. The state of New Jersey does not allow for the creation of common law marriage as a relationship in which a couple lives together without participating in a formal/lawful ceremony. Unlike other states in the U.S.; however, New Jersey does not allow a couple to acquire marital rights by living together for a specified period of time. As such, a couple will not be required to pursuit a legal action to end such a bond if said relationship was created in New Jersey.

Although Common Law Marriage New Jersey is not practiced in the state, New Jersey does recognized as valid, common law marriages created outside of the state, if the legal requirements of those states are fulfilled.

Mr. Orman’s Wikipedia entry lists Kimberley LaMarque Orman as the only spouse the actor has ever had. And if Wikipedia doesn’t even recognize Sharon’s relationship with Roscoe as being ‘official’–Wikipedia, which allows anyone to makes edits and obviously has a much lower bar set to establish “truth” than any legal institution–I don’t see how the state of New Jersey will accept their relationship as having any legal bearing either.

Source:”EXCLUSIVE: ‘Sesame Street’ star Roscoe Orman leaves ex ‘destitute’“–New York Post
Image via the New York Post

http://www.beyondblackwhite.com/playing-house-good-look-ex-girlfriend-sesame-street-actor-roscoe-orman-learns-lesson-hard/

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Replies (161-170):
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Why am I pro common law marriage and stronger protections?  For some people marriage is a difficult decision to make for philosophical reasons, and I have sympathy for that.  Also, until polygamous marriage is legalized, if ever, consenting adults in those types of arrangements would benefit from some kind of official recognition of their status and contributions.  

I like being married, but I don't feel it's for everybody.  

However, I most strongly feel that women in committed relationships should take steps to ensure that they are not overly dependent on their partners.  I dislike the POV that equates a man with a meal ticket.  That is a personal opinion, though.        

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting momtoscott:

It's sad for her to have her relationship dissolve after 40 years, and I'm pro common law marriage protections and think they should be expanded.  I'm not sure why she is so destitute that she's living on a kid's couch, though.  Shouldn't she have some personal assets and savings?  

I lived with DH before we got married, and all that time I had my own bank account, my own credit, and my own job.  And I still have my own credit and my own job, although we did break down and get a joint bank account about three years into our marriage.  Whether there's a marriage certificate or not, I think you should be ready and able to support yourself, and if you contributed to an asset, your name should be on it.  

The article is pro marriage, but what it's actually doing IMO is pointing out the risks of dependent relationships.   

I'm pro common law marriage protections and think they should be expanded.

Why?  If someone wants these protections there is a very simple solution, get married.

I agree with the rest of your post.

mrs.hartman12
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Also, in some states like mine, if your not married you have to go before a judge to get the father on the BC, so if your boyfriend decides he doesn't want to bother with it right now, then if he leaves you there are a lot more hoops to jump through. Or if your significant other passes away before the child is born and your not married you have a bunch of hoops to jump through and need his families cooperation. 

Quoting PamR:

Quoting Tarot:

Quoting PamR:

Rights of inheritence?  Proving paternitiy?  What if the father doesn't want to cooperate and pay child support?  Is it easier to collect if the parents were married?

Inheritence can be taken care of via will, and many states (not sure if they all do or not) assume paternity if the father has raised the child as his own for an x number of years. Marriage has little to do with it. 

Right, but if the father chooses to walk away and doesn't name a child in a will (or doesn't have a will) and didn't raise the child, that could present a problem.  Personally, I would make sure everything was legally spelled out.  I'm sure this woman didn't see Gordon walking away after 40 years.  You just never know.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM

That is pretty much in every state.  It is marital property.

Quoting MsMcWithey:

I don't know about NJ, but in Michigan and California, being married for at least 10 years also makes you eligible for half his pension.

Quoting phoebe81:

But she would have had spousal support and probably half his estate. He'd have to divorce her, going through a lengthy legal battle. Leaving your wife for your mistress is much different than leaving your girlfriend for your other girlfriend.

Quoting PestPatti:

I don't think " marriage" would have changed  the outcome.  He would have left her married or not.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Careful, you're showing your conservative side again. ;)

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Tarot:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Tarot:

"playing house"? I didn't realize there was only one 'real' family.

Everyone already knows marriage gives rights you can't get any other way. What was the point of the article, except to slam those that choose not to marry?

No, that's not the point at all. Not everyone already knows.....I think it was valuable and could help some young chickies who keep saying "We don't need a piece of paper, we feel married in every way" and all that kind of immature stuff. Its a good thing that this was published. It might save some clueless women from being screwed the way this woman was.

How is it immature to not want to get married? There are plenty of ways to get many of the rights marriage affords without walking down the aisle. 

Maybe some of us are happier without a marriage certificate.

That's your choice ,of course,but I seriously don't understand it all all. I have too much self respect and sense of responsibility to myself (and the family unit) to "settle"for less.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

LOL, THEY are the ones running the democrat party now.

Quoting lga1965:

There IS the Legal aspect of the situation particularly when you have children. I don't think it's fair to the kids to create a relationship that's only based on what YOU have decided is perfectly nice. This reminds me of the 60's and the Hippies , anti-establishment type of thinking.

I am a realist.

Quoting turtle68:

what about those who marry for stupid reasons.  

Not everyone knows what married life is going to be like...saying its going to be a bed of roses because I didnt  live or sleep with my then partner because I have to set an example of self respect is something we will have to disagree with :-)

Self respect is something that comes from liking who you are and taking responsibility for your actions.  You can do both without a marriage license.

Setting an example for your kids comes from actions of love....again not a marriage license.

Quoting lga1965:

ANd if the marriage sucks, you leave and divorce the bum and THAT shows you have self respect. I think that's pretty obvious.Anyone who sticks with a bad marriage has no self respect and they set a bad example for the kids.

Marriage starts out with love and respect and usually continues that way if you marry for the right reasons and know what kind of person you are marrying.

Quoting turtle68:

I disagree with both of you :-)

self respect can and setting a good example is shown in a myriad of different ways...marriage doesnt reflect respect and set an example...love and caring does.

How many marriages and people have stayed together because they are "married til death do us part" and end up having NO self respect, their children hate them for bringing them up in that enviroment?

Quoting lga1965:

Yes, it is a matter of self respect. And setting a good example.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I think this is the very first time you and I have agreed on ANYTHING, but YES, this....a thousand times, THIS. 

A close relative of mine lived with a wonderful woman for years and years.  She and I were close and she had a kid that I loved.    He didn't marry her.  He met another woman (who also, oddly, had a child exactly the same age), broke up with the first, and married the second within 6 months. 

They've been married nearly 40 years.  The second, ultimately, his wife didn't do that shack up stuff because she realized she was an example to her child, and respected herself enough to be a man's wife, but not his live-in. 

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Tarot:

Everyone already knows marriage gives rights you can't get any other way. What was the point of the article, except to slam those that choose not to marry?

No, that's not the point at all. Not everyone already knows.....I think it was valuable and could help some young chickies who keep saying "We don't need a piece of paper, we feel married in every way" and all that kind of immature stuff. Its a good thing that this was published. It might save some clueless women from being screwed the way this woman was.

lga1965
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

That's okay.  :-) I am conservative in some ways. I am a combination of all kinds of things.

Quoting Carpy:

Careful, you're showing your conservative side again. ;)

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Tarot:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Tarot:

How is it immature to not want to get married? There are plenty of ways to get many of the rights marriage affords without walking down the aisle. 

Maybe some of us are happier without a marriage certificate.

That's your choice ,of course,but I seriously don't understand it all all. I have too much self respect and sense of responsibility to myself (and the family unit) to "settle"for less.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I'm honestly trying to remember what I meant by that myself. There is the very real possibility that the autocorrect, which was in rare form on that post, changed the word "get" from something else.
It isn't terribly difficult to get married here but nit very easy either. We don't require residency or blood tests. I don't think you can get married the same day and you have to apply together so there is no waking up married here but a long weekend could get you into trouble.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

South Carolina used to recognize common law marriage but decided that they only liked REAL marriages as a way to shut out the gays from wedded bliss. Common law marriage had between recognized for decades but it was put off the books in the late nineties because of those wacky gays wanting equal rights. Now they demand the piece of paper to they can give as few benefits as possible. Got a state they claims to love marriage and the stability it brings, they make it hard to get married and they restrict all of the bonuses and rights reserved for married couples. I got that as a shock when trying to see my BF in hospital

It's been less than twenty treed that they did this and I could just see the healthy marriages and happy kids coming at me from everywhere because we followed God's plan and removed the blight of common law marriage from the state. Things are no better now and lots of people's lives are a bit worse because they no longer have legal rights to go to hospitals, schools, and other things without extra legal paperwork and hassle because SC wants to bully as many straight people into marriage as possible. Our divorce rate is also shocking but at least those damn gays are angering god with federal benefits. I hope Nicky Haley has only gay children

How do they make it hard to get married?

a state they claims to love marriage and the stability it brings, they make it hard to get married

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Ray of sunshine on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Because I don't believe marriage should be the only type of protection in situations like this.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting Mommy4000:

I see this as laws needing to change, not as everyone should get married, but I guess there are always different opinions on this matter.

Why should laws change when there is already a viable way to avoid this?  Either get married or have your own income.

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

And she always says the courts are not there to sort out people playing house due to no laws providing for someone not being married.

This isn't to say I don't support people not married; they just don't receive the same financial privileges and support as those married who wind up divorced.

Quoting rockie01:

Open that can of worms. Yes, couples are living together versus getting married. I see them on Judge Judy all the time.

“Life they say, can turn on a dime. And in a world that constantly shifts beneath our feet, the only thing we can know for certain is how we feel, the love we have, the fear we hide from, the pain we push away. Give it a voice, and the rewards are piece of mind and a peaceful heart.”
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Well said.

Quoting Elkamelka:

And she always says the courts are not there to sort out people playing house due to no laws providing for someone not being married.

This isn't to say I don't support people not married; they just don't receive the same financial privileges and support as those married who wind up divorced.

Quoting rockie01:

Open that can of worms. Yes, couples are living together versus getting married. I see them on Judge Judy all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)