Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Marriage is more than a piece of paper: ‘Playing house is not a good look,’ ex-girlfriend of ‘Sesame Street’ actor learns lesson the hard way

Posted by   + Show Post

‘Playing house is not a good look,’ the ex-girlfriend of ‘Sesame Street’ actor Roscoe Orman learns that lesson the hard way

Here’s a sad tale of another woman having to learn the hard way that living together as husband and wife is not the same thing as being husband and wife.

Here’s a sad tale of another woman having to learn the hard way that living together as husband and wife is not the same thing as being husband and wife.

Sharon Orman, the partner of “Sesame Street” actor Roscoe Orman for close to 40 years and the mother of his 4 children, is claiming that the actor left her destitute after all these years to marry another woman.

Roscoe played Gordon Robinson, one of the original residents of Sesame Street on the TV program of the same name. On the show Robinson was teacher who lived with his wife Sharon. The idyllic life of marital bliss that Robinson created on the show could have been a mirror or his life at home with his real life Sharon–the only problem was that Orman never actually married the woman whom he spent decades with in a real-life relationship.

Yes, you read that correctly. In 40 years and after 4 children Roscoe never actually bothered to marry Sharon Orman. Ms. Orman even legally changed her last name to Orman. According to her, she had no idea that the man whom she referred to as her “husband” had taken up with another woman until she found pictures of said woman on her ex’s telephone.

Eventually Roscoe left Sharon and legally married the woman whose pictures Sharon discovered–Kimberley LaMarque Orman.

Sharon and Roscoe Orman during happier times

Sharon and Roscoe Orman during happier times

Currently Sharon Orman says that she is sleeping on the couch of one of her children. Her ex has not only cut off contact with her, but she claims he doesn’t even make contact with his children anymore.

But Ms. Orman isn’t taking her treatment at the hands of Roscoe lying down. She filed a complaint against her ex in New Jersey Superior Court. She claims that because they were “living together as husband and wife for almost 40 years,” she is entitled to spousal support.

The court has yet to rule on Ms. Orman’s complaint, but it is unlikely that she will be receiving any financial support from her ex. New Jersey, the state the couple resided in for the entirety of their relationship, does not recognize common law marriage.

Common law marriage NJ is not permitted. The state of New Jersey does not allow for the creation of common law marriage as a relationship in which a couple lives together without participating in a formal/lawful ceremony. Unlike other states in the U.S.; however, New Jersey does not allow a couple to acquire marital rights by living together for a specified period of time. As such, a couple will not be required to pursuit a legal action to end such a bond if said relationship was created in New Jersey.

Although Common Law Marriage New Jersey is not practiced in the state, New Jersey does recognized as valid, common law marriages created outside of the state, if the legal requirements of those states are fulfilled.

Mr. Orman’s Wikipedia entry lists Kimberley LaMarque Orman as the only spouse the actor has ever had. And if Wikipedia doesn’t even recognize Sharon’s relationship with Roscoe as being ‘official’–Wikipedia, which allows anyone to makes edits and obviously has a much lower bar set to establish “truth” than any legal institution–I don’t see how the state of New Jersey will accept their relationship as having any legal bearing either.

Source:”EXCLUSIVE: ‘Sesame Street’ star Roscoe Orman leaves ex ‘destitute’“–New York Post
Image via the New York Post

http://www.beyondblackwhite.com/playing-house-good-look-ex-girlfriend-sesame-street-actor-roscoe-orman-learns-lesson-hard/

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
Tarot
by Tea on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Tarot:

"playing house"? I didn't realize there was only one 'real' family.

Everyone already knows marriage gives rights you can't get any other way. What was the point of the article, except to slam those that choose not to marry?

No, that's not the point at all. Not everyone already knows.....I think it was valuable and could help some young chickies who keep saying "We don't need a piece of paper, we feel married in every way" and all that kind of immature stuff. Its a good thing that this was published. It might save some clueless women from being screwed the way this woman was.

How is it immature to not want to get married? There are plenty of ways to get many of the rights marriage affords without walking down the aisle. 

Maybe some of us are happier without a marriage certificate.

Do you bury me when I'm gone? 
Do you teach me while I'm here? 
Just as soon as I belong 
Then it's time I disappear

HaleyCovington
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I know that. That's why I said she should have made him legally commit to her as in marriage. It was in another reply so you might not have seen it. But that's what I was talking about.
She said marriage wouldn't have changed the outcome and I disagree. Every state recognizes marriage and I think most of them if not all award spousal support.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Depends totally on the state.  Only some recognize common law marriage or palimony. 

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Uhm, there's laws that make him responsible for her.... The judge isn't going to be like oh, you were married for 40 years and then you cheated and left her broke... Go ahead and keep your money. There are state laws that require spousal support after so many years. I promise that after 40 years and then infidelity on his part he will be paying her.

Quoting PestPatti:

He left her after 40 years,  he would have found a way to get around things.  

Quoting HaleyCovington:

That's probably try but then she wouldn't be left sleeping on her kids couch.... He may have broke her heart but she could have broken his pockets on his way out the door.

Quoting PestPatti:

I don't think " marriage" would have changed  the outcome.  He would have left her married or not.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HaleyCovington
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM
If there are ways to get the same thing then why are gays fighting so hard to be able to marry? Serious question. I'm married and I've never heard someone say they can get the same benefits without being married. Do you have to draw up an agreement type thing with a lawyer?

Quoting Tarot:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Tarot:

Everyone already knows marriage gives rights you can't get any other way. What was the point of the article, except to slam those that choose not to marry?

No, that's not the point at all. Not everyone already knows.....I think it was valuable and could help some young chickies who keep saying "We don't need a piece of paper, we feel married in every way" and all that kind of immature stuff. Its a good thing that this was published. It might save some clueless women from being screwed the way this woman was.

How is it immature to not want to get married? There are plenty of ways to get many of the rights marriage affords without walking down the aisle. 

Momforhealth
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Sad story. :(
Tarot
by Tea on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Quoting HaleyCovington:

If there are ways to get the same thing then why are gays fighting so hard to be able to marry? Serious question. I'm married and I've never heard someone say they can get the same benefits without being married. Do you have to draw up an agreement type thing with a lawyer?

Quoting Tarot:

I did not say "the same thing". Learn to read.

Also, I'm not a fan of being referred to as 'the gays'. I am a member of the LGBT community, not 'a gay'.

Do you bury me when I'm gone? 
Do you teach me while I'm here? 
Just as soon as I belong 
Then it's time I disappear

rockie01
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Open that can of worms. Yes, couples are living together versus getting married. I see them on Judge Judy all the time.

HaleyCovington
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM
4 moms liked this
Jeez. Loose the attitude lady. I was asking a serious question. Sorry if being called gay offends you but I didn't feel like spelling out the homosexual community. I've never heard anyone be offended by being called gay unless they weren't gay.

Quoting Tarot:

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Quoting Tarot:

I did not say "the same thing". Learn to read.

Also, I'm not a fan of being referred to as 'the gays'. I am a member of the LGBT community, not 'a gay'.

loverbug75
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Bahamas! Because that price of paper means shit?! Commitment lies in the heart and head sister not in the law!

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Tarot:

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm not a cow for sale and neither is my milk.
We could make it a lesson about her not putting a high enough price on her pussy privileges or intimating that given the chance all men will leave and cheat on their women and children unless legally forced to be good. Neither lesson is helpful.
This is just a harsh example to the rights and privileges afforded married couples. It's a reminder that while God may make a marriage holy, the state has more than a finger in your pie.
loverbug75
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Mooooo. Shut the fuck up.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree. He didn't buy the cow because he got the milk for free.

Quoting HaleyCovington:

It's a sad story but she should have been smarter about it. No one expects to be left like that after 40 years and 4 kids but it happens and the one person she should have been looking out for was herself and she didn't. He's a real piece of work for doing that to her but she only has herself to blame for not making him legally commit to her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN