Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
If you are against abortion what are you doing to stop it?
Is it just an option or do you really apply yourself? Because to me it seems if you really believe its murder you would be active in your beliefs not just standing on the sidelines judging.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Replies (31-40):
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I think all too often those on the prolife side ignore all the other ways humans "Play God".  Everytime scientists and doctors create a new, effective treatment that extends human life we are playing God.  Would you argue against these advancements in medicine or is this "God's will"?  

If it's "God's will" that allows us to have the knowledge to extend life who is to say it isn't also "God's will" to medically terminate before birth.  

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I beg to differ first, on the part about "losing the abortion battle". 

I prefer to look at the women who decided to keep their child and had a change of heart.  

I do believe, minus the offering of birth control, that both boys and girls, as soon as possible, should be given comprehensive sex education.

In addition to that, I feel that a course should be given on how males see things about sex and love very differently from females.

Also, there is very little understanding of responsibility, on both the part of the Mother and the Father.  Also consequences of killing a viable child at any stage of pregnancy sorely need to be addressed, and aren't , especially by establishments such as Planned Parenthood.

This may be a choice of each person:  to allow life or not....However, I really believe the thought of letting a child live should come before thoughts of inconvenience or deciding, even in severe cases of a child being carried, of 
"what is best for the child".

In the last case, I believe, humbly that to abort the Mother is "playing God."

Veronica-Pro-life Advocate 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Personally I think the best way to stop an abortion is to support comprehensive sex education and access to reliable birth control and reliable information on how to prevent pregnancy in the first place.  

Of course this isn't high on the list of many lifers so it's no wonder they are losing the abortion battle.  

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM

With the exception of stem-cell research, I don't necessarily see creating new, effective treatment that extends human life by scientists and doctors a bad thing.

To me, being a Roman Catholic and pro-life advocate, my religion and my beliefs are closely intertwined.

I see God as the Creator of all life.

To terminate a child before birth goes completely against God's Holy Word.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I think all too often those on the prolife side ignore all the other ways humans "Play God".  Everytime scientists and doctors create a new, effective treatment that extends human life we are playing God.  Would you argue against these advancements in medicine or is this "God's will"?  

If it's "God's will" that allows us to have the knowledge to extend life who is to say it isn't also "God's will" to medically terminate before birth.  

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I beg to differ first, on the part about "losing the abortion battle". 

I prefer to look at the women who decided to keep their child and had a change of heart.  

I do believe, minus the offering of birth control, that both boys and girls, as soon as possible, should be given comprehensive sex education.

In addition to that, I feel that a course should be given on how males see things about sex and love very differently from females.

Also, there is very little understanding of responsibility, on both the part of the Mother and the Father.  Also consequences of killing a viable child at any stage of pregnancy sorely need to be addressed, and aren't , especially by establishments such as Planned Parenthood.

This may be a choice of each person:  to allow life or not....However, I really believe the thought of letting a child live should come before thoughts of inconvenience or deciding, even in severe cases of a child being carried, of 
"what is best for the child".

In the last case, I believe, humbly that to abort the Mother is "playing God."

Veronica-Pro-life Advocate 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Personally I think the best way to stop an abortion is to support comprehensive sex education and access to reliable birth control and reliable information on how to prevent pregnancy in the first place.  

Of course this isn't high on the list of many lifers so it's no wonder they are losing the abortion battle.  

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Seriously?

My top priority is reproductive freedom so I do not support any sort of coersion or govenment interference that forces women to abort but I am very pleased when women utilize abortion.

I understand that you are more familiar with 'safe, legal and rare' rhetoric designed to help people feel comfortable with reproductive rights but I don't think you are really shocked to know that some people are pro abortion. 

While it is simplest when women use contraceptive birth control instead of abortion, it doesn't always work. I applaud women who chose abortion. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

And I am genuinely shocked.

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

I am not interested in stopping abortion, I am interested in promoting it.

A culture that stigmatizes abortion but does not stigmatize parenting without adequate resources does harm to women and children.

It is my hope that more women who find themselves with a poorly timed pregnancy will chose to terminate. 

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It is nice to say that you would help if you could.

However your imaginary and unavailable help is not going to do any woman any good. 

Quoting MBRsmommy:

I am pro-life. If I was in a position to take in a mom who didn't have the finances I would... whether the kids she has are born or still in her belly. As it is though.... I have 4 children and can't afford to bring in someone else. If someone came to me though I would try my hardest to point them to a church or ask my dad what to do because he is a retired pastor. However, where I live is very small and the nearest abortion clinic is hours away... none of the doctors around here would perform one even if we had an abortion clinic nearby... they wouldn't even give me an IUD stating it was an early form of abortion...

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I beg to differ with these derrogtory comments you are making about "imaginary and unavailable help."

May this type of debate, Susy_Sunshine end right now: With YOU, please.

There are many of us that do believe in the power of prayer, and live all day, knowing there is a God.

Veronica-Roman Catholic/Christian

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

However your imaginary and unavailable help is not going to do any woman any good. 

Quoting MBRsmommy:

I am pro-life. If I was in a position to take in a mom who didn't have the finances I would... whether the kids she has are born or still in her belly. As it is though.... I have 4 children and can't afford to bring in someone else. If someone came to me though I would try my hardest to point them to a church or ask my dad what to do because he is a retired pastor. However, where I live is very small and the nearest abortion clinic is hours away... none of the doctors around here would perform one even if we had an abortion clinic nearby... they wouldn't even give me an IUD stating it was an early form of abortion...

MissTacoBell
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM
That's the issue. All I see is the crazies. The non crazies need to be more visible.

Quoting micheledo:

But that isn't true. In my own area I know of an organizatio nthat helps moms with childcare, supplies for baby, finding a job, claasses ,etc. . . .

I think ALL pro-life people should respond that way. It is about helping the mom make a better decision, and helping her afterwards - whatever the decision is.

Granted some are like what you describe, but certainly not all ( and I imagine not the majority). They just happen to be more vocal and make the news.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I have never had an abortion. We are done having kids, but if I got pregnant again, abortion would not be an option. An I pro life? Nope. Know why? I associate pro life with the tacky crazies who picket PP flashing billboard size pics of dead fetus' at people.

They want one thing: a baby born that would have been aborted. Do they give two f*cks what the quality of life of the baby is after birth? Not one iota. THAT is the problem I have with their efforts.

The problem is: too many babies being aborted. Ok, but why do they need aborted? Because it is an unwanted pregnancy. Why is there an unwanted pregnancy? Because rape, sex, health, etc.

Why don't these groups do something constructive? Like educating young women of the dangers of abortion, flaunt the stories of women who DEEPLY regret having done it and use that as an incentive TO HAVE SAFE OR NO SEX? Rather than attacking emotionally fragile women they could EDUCATE them when they are most at risk! Hand out condoms at clubs, hand out the rufee straws at clubs, etc?

Sorry for the rant but its ridiculous the ignorance these crazies resort to.

They're pro birth, not pro life.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChillyCanuck
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry, but I don't believe God had anything to do with creating the life of a child. It was two people using their free will to have sex and not use protection. Once sperm meets the egg, science takes over.  God is just a bystander.  

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

You have a unique mode of expression that I enjoy.

Saying you would help if you could but you can't means that your help is both imaginary and unavailable.

I am not sure why some people feel good about all the things they would do if they could. If you aren't doing anything you aren't doing anything - plain and simple. 

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I beg to differ with these derrogtory comments you are making about "imaginary and unavailable help."

May this type of debate, Susy_Sunshine end right now: With YOU, please.

There are many of us that do believe in the power of prayer, and live all day, knowing there is a God.

Veronica-Roman Catholic/Christian

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

Quoting MBRsmommy:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

This really is the key.  To help women feel like they have a support system and can overcome obstacles.

When I was 19 I had an unplanned pregnancy.  I swore up and down that I would have an abortion when I suspected I was pregnant.  But, when I did find out I was pregnant, I had a TON of emotional support.  My family helped me find resources that I otherwise would have not a clue how to find.  I changed my mind, and I had my only daughter who is now almost 18.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate my family and friends for standing by me. 

Quoting micheledo:

I think I might be able to stop an abortion by reaching out. We had a teen we knew that kept her baby. I don't thin kshe was considering abortion ,but we reached out to her, helped her prepare, passed o nthings neede dfor the baby, and even offered child care when the baby came.

I think the only way I can prevent an abortion is being there for support and actual aid when the mom needs it. Not every woman will then decide against abortion, but some would.

Denisethedaring
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

It seems rather superficial to categorize all abortions of fetuses with Down syndrome as done "because they are perceived not to be perfect."  Do you really think that's it?  You might not be the only woman out there who likes to use statistics to form your feelings and opinions: 

Babies born with Down syndrome are five times more likely to die in their first year of life when compared to the general population

40 to 50% of children with Down syndrome have congenital heart defects

Having Down syndrome increases the risk of leukemia 15-20 times

100% of people with Down syndrome will develop some physiologic signs of Alzheimer’s when they are over 35 years old

Average life expectancy US overall: 78.2 years.  Average life expectancy US Downs syndrome: 55 years.

Individuals with DS are at increased risk for dysfunction of the thyroid gland, an organ that helps control metabolism. Low thyroid (hypothyroidism) is most common, occurring in almost a third of those with DS.

Down syndrome increases the risk of Hirschsprung's disease 10 times, in which the nerve cells that control the function of parts of the colon are not present.

Males with Down syndrome usually cannot father children, while females demonstrate significantly lower rates of conception relative to unaffected individuals.[43] Women with DS are less fertile and often have difficulties with miscarriage, premature birth, and difficult labor.

This is not terminating due to a "lack of perfection;" that's the case when someone terminates due to a cleft palate or a missing limb.  THIS is terminating due to an entire host of unfixable damage encoded in the fetus's genes. 

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I personally cannot stop an abortion.

If I could stand outside Planned Parenthood, I would:  being peaceful, saying rosaries and being in prayer.  I would be carrying a sign with the Divine Mercy Image-A Catholic image with Jesus on it.  

I am a stay-at-home Mom with a Special Needs child: She is a child with Down Syndrome.  Abortions are performed to kill these precious children, because they are perceived not to be perfect, nor what a Mother would be willing to take on in her life. The statistics of Abortion of Down Syndrome are staggering: in the high 90 %

I am not in any financial shape to take on raising someone else's child by adoption, either.  That is not my calling.

I am called to prayer and standing up for the rights of the unborn child.

I am also called to 100% dedicate myself to this precious gift to my husband and me, a child from God.

Veronica-Pro life Advocate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)