Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Liberal doesn't always equal pro-choice

Poll

Question: Please vote:

Options:

Conservative: pro-life

Liberal: pro-life

Conservative: pro-choice

Liberal: pro-choice

can't decide

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 63

View Results

How does a person who seemingly opposes biased information manage to author such a biased article?

Inconvenient Headlines

Mona Charen's column is released once a week.

It's a deeply felt conviction among liberals that they are the caring party. It's not too much to say that liberals are quite confident that they are nicer, more moral people than conservatives.

It must require truly titanic powers of denial for the "moral" and "compassionate" party to maintain its position on abortion — a position that leads them into some macabre rationalizations. Consciences among the morally superior party are agreeably quiescent.

But recent headlines have not been similarly cooperative. In Florida, the legislature is considering a variant of the "Born Alive Infants Protection Act," which would require that abortionists provide medical assistance to infants who are "accidentally" born alive and kicking during an abortion. (Then State Senator Barack Obama vociferously opposed similar legislation in Illinois.)

Ms. Alisa LaPolt Snow, representing the Florida Alliance of Planned Parenthood Affiliates, testified against the bill. Florida representative Jim Boyd, apparently unsure that he had understood her correctly, asked:

"So, um, it is just really hard for me to even ask you this question because I'm almost in disbelief. If a baby is born on a table as a result of a botched abortion, what would Planned Parenthood want to have happen to that child that is struggling for life?"

Ms. Snow responded that her organization "believes that any decision that's made should be left up to the woman, her family and the physician." In short, as the Weekly Standard summarized, Florida Planned Parenthood is in favor of "post-birth abortion." This is consistent with the position of the president of the United States and most members of the caring party.

Ms. Snow was asked why she didn't support simply transporting a breathing, moving infant to a hospital where he or she would have the best chance of survival. Snow developed a sudden concern for ambulance convenience: "(T)hose situations where it is in a rural health care setting, the hospital is 45 minutes or an hour away, that's the closest trauma center or emergency room. You know there's just some logistical issues involved that we have some concerns about." Really? Logistical concerns?

So if a baby is brought to a rural clinic suffering from, say, meningitis, and the nearest trauma center is 45 minutes away, does Planned Parenthood have "concerns" about the "logistical issues" involved? Or does Planned Parenthood stand for the principle that when a woman chooses abortion, she is entitled to a dead baby?

Snow's testimony comes at an inopportune moment for the deniers — the "abortion rights" absolutists who hotly deny that infants are ever born alive during botched abortions — because in Philadelphia, an abortionist is on trial.

Dr. Kermit Gosnell is on trial for murder in the deaths of one woman and seven second trimester babies. The 41-year-old woman had sought an abortion and was given an overdose of narcotics at Gosnell's clinic. The seven babies were all born alive, according to the indictment. Gosnell then used scissors to "snip" their spinal columns. One of his assistants, who pled guilty to third-degree murder, said that such "snippings" were "routine" for late-term abortions — so there were probably many more than seven.

Gosnell wasn't at all particular about gestational age. An ultrasound technician recorded the age of one baby as 29.4 weeks, or about 7.5 months. In Pennsylvania, abortions are not permitted after 24 weeks (and survival is above 85 percent for babies born at 27 weeks). In one case, a nurse testified that a baby cried after being born. Gosnell snipped his neck and told the nurse that there was nothing to worry about. He was placed in a basin on a counter. Another large baby was disposed of in a shoebox, but he was too large and his feet dangled over the sides. In another case, Gosnell allegedly joked with a nurse that a baby was so big "he could have walked to the bus stop."

Gosnell seems to be a particularly freakish "provider." He kept fetal feet in jars in an office prosecutors described as a "house of horrors." (Pictures are on the Internet, but beware: They are graphic.)

Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer of California who engaged in an unwise colloquy with then-Senator Rick Santorum about when infants deserve to be treated as people, spoke for many of the caring elite when she said that life begins when "you take the baby home from the hospital."

Some day, our descendants will look back at this and ask how we could have tamely accepted such barbarism. A special obloquy will attach to the Orwellians who call it compassion.

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Replies (31-40):
kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM

THERE IS NO QUESTION BEING ASKED. There is a poll & there is an article. There IS NO question. I don't need to read someone else's opinion to have my own.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Anyone of average intelligence can tell exactly what she's asking.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

TIP:  When you make a poll, there needs to be a QUESTION. Providing an article for background info is good .... but you still need a QUESTION

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Billiejeens:

I normally only skim articles, but since Mona Charen is an icon, I took the time to actually read it.

What did you find biased?

It's a deeply felt conviction among liberals that they are the caring party. It's not too much to say that liberals are quite confident that they are nicer, more moral people than conservatives.

It must require truly titanic powers of denial for the "moral" and "compassionate" party to maintain its position on abortion — a position that leads them into some macabre rationalizations. Consciences among the morally superior party are agreeably quiescent.

I am of the understanding that you mean the red part.

How is it bias to state the Liberal Position?

I don't find people to be politically 'typical' in this day an age. FTR I'm no longer a SAHM. =)

Oh! 

Congrats if that is an upgrade to your situation, sawry if it has been thrust upon you.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Quoting Bookwormy:

That said, once a fetus is *100% completely outside the vagina* it is a baby & not a fetus & deserves medical treatment or hospice/palliative care services.

I completely agree

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I keep special scissors with the words Liberal Compassion inscribed on one blade. The other blade says God hates you

I choked on my lunch! lol

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bookwormy:

That said, once a fetus is *100% completely outside the vagina* it is a baby & not a fetus & deserves medical treatment or hospice/palliative care services.

I completely agree

and that is the whole story of the article - PP lobbyists couldn't bring herself to say that.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting Billiejeens: 

Apparently you did not, read and/or understand the article/

Nope, I read it, and correctly determined the author's goal in writing the piece.  If you've got a different interpretation - state it.  If you can't, that's okay too -- not everyone has post 8th grade reading comprehension skills.

My interpretation was similar to yours.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I don't find people to be politically 'typical' in this day an age. FTR I'm no longer a SAHM. =)

Oh! 

Congrats if that is an upgrade to your situation, sawry if it has been thrust upon you.

Thanks, I chose to go back to work. = ) I just get up at Dark O' thirty these days.

katinahat
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol. Why am I so unsurprised that CafeMom is so heavily liberal?

Personally, I am a pro-choice conservative. I am a fiscal and national defense conservative, but a social liberal.

ETA: That article is really messed-up. I'm actually in favor of the bill. I think that a woman has a right to choose abortion (however much I think it is morally repugnant), but if the child can be saved, then absolutely go for it. If the unwanted baby has left her body, that's where her choice ends. Why "finish the job" and make sure it's dead? It's out of your hair, you'll never have to provide for it or care for it. So messed up.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Quoting rfurlongg:

I never met anyone that fits in a neat little label box.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

rwm52
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Not according to Planned Parenthood lobbyists.

From http://aclj.org/planned-parenthood/planned-parenthood-stunning-honesty-post-birth-abortions

Here is the actual testimony of Planned Parenthood lobbyist Alisa LaPolt Snow to Florida legislators, as reported by the Weekly Standard:

"[I]t is just really hard for me to even ask you this question because I’m almost in disbelief," said Rep. Jim Boyd. "If a baby is born on a table as a result of a botched abortion, what would Planned Parenthood want to have happen to that child that is struggling for life?”

"We believe that any decision that's made should be left up to the woman, her family, and the physician," said Planned Parenthood lobbyist Snow. . . .

Rep. Jose Oliva followed up, asking the Planned Parenthood official, "You stated that a baby born alive on a table as a result of a botched abortion that that decision should be left to the doctor and the family. Is that what you’re saying?”

Again, Snow replied, “That decision should be between the patient and the health care provider.”

She unmistakably repeats her answer several times.  The official position of Planned Parenthood is that life of a baby born alive after a botched abortion, struggling for life on the abortion clinic table, should be legally in the hands of the doctor, the mother, and her family – despite the fact that the baby has now been born.  Then, after these repeated assertions, she appears to suddenly realize what she has been openly advocating.

She was asked one final time be Representative Oliva, “I think that at that point the patient would be the child struggling on the table, wouldn’t you agree?”  The Planned Parenthood lobbyist suddenly changed her answer, "That’s a very good question. I really don’t know how to answer that.”

And lest we forget, as a state senator from Illinois, Obama voted three times against the ban on partial birth abortion, the procedure by which the abortionist delivers the baby's entire body except for the head, after which he jams scissors into the baby's skull and inserts a suction tube through which the baby's brains are sucked out causing the skull to collapse. Then the dead baby is removed. It's a little more gruesome when you hear the description of what's actually done, isn't it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)