Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Exposure to Second Hand Smoke in Pregnancy Linked to Children's Behavior Problems -

Posted by   + Show Post

http://news.yahoo.com/secondhand-smoke-linked-behavior-problems-children-141708359.html

A new study shows that a mother's exposure to second-hand smoke in pregnancy can affect their children -the next generation - causing behavior problems. Why give cigarettes so much power? .

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

And?  This is not really news.  Constant/consistent exposure to second hand smoke is just as dangerous as if you were smoking yourself.  We know that there are dangerous side effects for babies whose mothers smoked while pregnant, why is it surprising that exposure to a lot of second hand smoke has similar negative affects on the babies?

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

You're right. It's second hand smoke. But husbands can smoke, or others in the same house, or even an office where a pregnant mother works. Second hand smoke is terrible and can cause cancer.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Your article says second hand smoke during pregnancy.  I read that to mean the pregnant women avoided being around others who might be smoking and/or fathers & other family members avoided being around her while smoking.

Quoting MentorMom1:

I think the only difference between the two types of parents is that one doesn't buy cigarettes! Whether they're thinking about the well-being of their children makes no difference. I never smoked because I'm sensitive to odors. It didn't occur to be to take up the habit. IThere are many more moms just like me.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Nonsense...chicken and the egg here.  They type of parents who'd avoid smoke while pregnant are the same parents who'd make proactive choices regarding their kids' behavior.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Yes...smoke is bad.  Got that.  But I don't buy it causing behavior problems in children when exposure occurs in utero.  I call shenanigans! 

Quoting MentorMom1:

You're right. It's second hand smoke. But husbands can smoke, or others in the same house, or even an office where a pregnant mother works. Second hand smoke is terrible and can cause cancer.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Your article says second hand smoke during pregnancy.  I read that to mean the pregnant women avoided being around others who might be smoking and/or fathers & other family members avoided being around her while smoking.

Quoting MentorMom1:

I think the only difference between the two types of parents is that one doesn't buy cigarettes! Whether they're thinking about the well-being of their children makes no difference. I never smoked because I'm sensitive to odors. It didn't occur to be to take up the habit. IThere are many more moms just like me.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Nonsense...chicken and the egg here.  They type of parents who'd avoid smoke while pregnant are the same parents who'd make proactive choices regarding their kids' behavior.

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Why not? Second hand smoke causes genetic mutations in babies at the same rate as if the mother smoked, according to studies. If these can cause health problems, they can cause behavioral problems as well.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Yes...smoke is bad.  Got that.  But I don't buy it causing behavior problems in children when exposure occurs in utero.  I call shenanigans! 

Quoting MentorMom1:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting MentorMom1:

Quoting Bieg9093:

lga1965
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Back in the 60's and 70' when we were having babies, we smoked. All of my friends did. We were stupid. Anyway, my kids had no behavior problems. They were good kids.

What kind of smoke are we talkin' 'bout, hmmmm?

I smoked a half pack of Marlboros a day with my second and third pregnancies. I didn't smoke with my first because I had such bad morning sickness.......

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Okay...maybe.

Quoting MentorMom1:

Why not? Second hand smoke causes genetic mutations in babies at the same rate as if the mother smoked, according to studies. If these can cause health problems, they can cause behavioral problems as well.

Quoting Bieg9093:
MentorMom1
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

: ) you rock

Quoting Bieg9093:

Okay...maybe.

Quoting MentorMom1:

Quoting Bieg9093:

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM

My family smoked for generations and not a single one of us, cousins or my own children had or have had behavioral problems. 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Quoting MentorMom1:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting MentorMom1:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting MentorMom1:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Exactly.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I call 'bullshit' ... there was far more tobacco around in my childhood and my moms than there is today, but a suprising lack of ODD diagnoses...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN