Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Exposure to Second Hand Smoke in Pregnancy Linked to Children's Behavior Problems -

Posted by   + Show Post

http://news.yahoo.com/secondhand-smoke-linked-behavior-problems-children-141708359.html

A new study shows that a mother's exposure to second-hand smoke in pregnancy can affect their children -the next generation - causing behavior problems. Why give cigarettes so much power? .

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

A study can be made to conclude whatever you want it to conclude.  Beyond this..I was raised around second hand smoke, as were my 2 sisters.  No issues.  I have a very dear friend that doesn't smoke and parents a lot like I do.  Her kids are hell on wheels.

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry you were raised around second hand smoke. Sickening stuff. Everyone's entitled to breathe clean air. Most of all children.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

A study can be made to conclude whatever you want it to conclude.  Beyond this..I was raised around second hand smoke, as were my 2 sisters.  No issues.  I have a very dear friend that doesn't smoke and parents a lot like I do.  Her kids are hell on wheels.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I call bull on these second hand smoke studies.  I smoked through two pregnancies and while they were young. My ex-husband also smoked. Both of my girls had nothing more than the usual amount of colds every other kid got each year.  They are very healthy adults now.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Quoting grandmab125:

I call bull on these second hand smoke studies.  I smoked through two pregnancies and while they were young. My ex-husband also smoked. Both of my girls had nothing more than the usual amount of colds every other kid got each year.  They are very healthy adults now.

Did your obgyn recommend that you stop smoking during your pregnancies?

LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:02 AM

That's not second hand smoke.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting grandmab125:

LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this

That's confusing anecdotes for data.

However: I doubt very much that the behaviour problems seen today have anything to do with it ... there was far more smoking around when I was a kid and when my mom was a kid than there is now. 'Splain that!

Quoting grandmab125:

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM

I don't believe it was ever disgussed.  In those days, nearly every one smoked.  Most of my friends did too, and they, also, had healthy kids.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting grandmab125:

grandma B

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:46 AM

what a load of crap

LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I hate these studies. My son has autism and it seems there is a new one weekly. Usually blaming the mother for something she did or didn't do while her child was in utero. Linking one thing to another doesn't mean one thing causes another, there is a connection, but unless it's interpreted on a broader scale, it's meaningless.

I would love to see more studies examining different therapy methods and which are the most effective. It's shocking to me that so little is known about what works best in terms of treatment. I would like to see more assistance given to families, I would like to see a lot of things except these studies.

For the record, I was not around second hand smoke at all while pregnant or after.

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Seems particularly ridiculous in light of the fact that the rate of smoking has decreased immensely in the past 50 years while the rate of childhood behavior problems has skyrocketed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured