Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Exposure to Second Hand Smoke in Pregnancy Linked to Children's Behavior Problems -

Posted by   + Show Post

http://news.yahoo.com/secondhand-smoke-linked-behavior-problems-children-141708359.html

A new study shows that a mother's exposure to second-hand smoke in pregnancy can affect their children -the next generation - causing behavior problems. Why give cigarettes so much power? .

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (31-40):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LIMom1105:

I hate these studies. My son has autism and it seems there is a new one weekly. Usually blaming the mother for something she did or didn't do while her child was in utero. Linking one thing to another doesn't mean one thing causes another, there is a connection, but unless it's interpreted on a broader scale, it's meaningless.

I would love to see more studies examining different therapy methods and which are the most effective. It's shocking to me that so little is known about what works best in terms of treatment. I would like to see more assistance given to families, I would like to see a lot of things except these studies.

For the record, I was not around second hand smoke at all while pregnant or after.

Isn't it important to find these things out so that it can be prevented in the following generations?

LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting LIMom1105:

I hate these studies. My son has autism and it seems there is a new one weekly. Usually blaming the mother for something she did or didn't do while her child was in utero. Linking one thing to another doesn't mean one thing causes another, there is a connection, but unless it's interpreted on a broader scale, it's meaningless.

I would love to see more studies examining different therapy methods and which are the most effective. It's shocking to me that so little is known about what works best in terms of treatment. I would like to see more assistance given to families, I would like to see a lot of things except these studies.

For the record, I was not around second hand smoke at all while pregnant or after.

Isn't it important to find these things out so that it can be prevented in the following generations?

But these studies aren't preventing anything really. As people have noted, many parents smoked years ago. Mine did. So are behavioral disturbances increasing because of cigarette smoke or is there a bigger issue that is not being examined?  I tend to think the latter. I would love to see a bigger study examining families of children with autism over time, with an attempt to examine genetics, environmental factors, education availability, etc. But these long-term broad studies are expensive and rarely happen. Instead we get 100 little studies that don't really tell you anything.

That's my problem with these studies--one factor is examined and correlated with another development. But it doesn't mean one equals the other. It's sloppy research basically.

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Well now. That's calling the Surgeon General's bluff, isn't it? Why play roulette with your kids' health, risking problems that you cannot forsee just because your children weren't wheezing with asthma, or having to take medication for heart problems? 

Having to breathe in someone else's second hand smoke is the ultimate personal invasion.  Your smoke did most certainly enter their lungs, and therefore their bloodstreams. It got in their hair and clothes- and other people could smell it on them. It got in their curtains and carpet and furniture. (Unless you only smoked outside the house -- but them the smell would still be on you and on everything else to some degree - nonsmokers can pick it up.)

And if they had sleepovers their friends went home smelling like smoke. And you cannot possibly know how your smoking during pregnancy and during their young lives will affect their future health - or even if it affected their health back then. It's something you can't always see on the outside, like a runny nose. Let's call a spade a spade; you were addicted to nicotine.

Quoting grandmab125:

I call bull on these second hand smoke studies.  I smoked through two pregnancies and while they were young. My ex-husband also smoked. Both of my girls had nothing more than the usual amount of colds every other kid got each year.  They are very healthy adults now.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Get off your high horse.  That was over 30 years ago, and not much was known about second hand smoke then.  The phrase hadn't even been "invented" yet.  Were I a 26 yr old having a baby today, I would probably not be smoking while pregnant.

Since nearly every one I knew smoked, no one noticed the smell.  The non-smoker was the person in the minority.  I'm sure they didn't like the smell, but I was never given a hard time about my smoking from any one, not even drs.

I'm sure there are kids who develop asthma who live in homes where the parents smoke.  But, the question is.....do they have asthma because of the smoke in the room, or because they have a ton of allergies, or something else like that?  No one knows for sure.  I used to baby sit for a family who had a little girl with severe asthma, and no one smoked in their family.  In fact they moved from NJ, where I was, to Arizona in order to try to give her a better environment (warmer and drier), but to no avail.  The poor little thing died from her asthma anyway, and she was just a pre-teen.

I never had asthma in my life until we moved to IL.  My asthma was a result of the dog (I was very allergic to it and didn't know that), the trees outside my house, the mold in the crawl space which was always wet, except in a drought, dust, dust mites, polen, and everything else that was air borne.

When I finally quit smoking five years later, my asthma didn't get any better because it wasn't caused by smoking, it was caused by all of the other environmental factors around me.

I didn't get better until a few years later, after I gave my dog away, moved from that house into one that had an air conditioner and a furnace with an electronic filter that zapped out a lot of the airborn particulates.

And as far as affecting my daughters' health today....one is going to be 39 in May, and the other one will be 36 in July, and they are both very healthy women.  My oldest daughter never smoked, and the youngest one smoked until she got pregnant with her first child.  None of us has smoked in nearly 11 years.  I also had a 15 year break where I didn't smoke.

Quoting MentorMom1:

Well now. That's calling the Surgeon General's bluff, isn't it? Why play roulette with your kids' health, risking problems that you cannot forsee just because your children weren't wheezing with asthma, or having to take medication for heart problems? 

Having to breathe in someone else's second hand smoke is the ultimate personal invasion.  Your smoke did most certainly enter their lungs, and therefore their bloodstreams. It got in their hair and clothes- and other people could smell it on them. It got in their curtains and carpet and furniture. (Unless you only smoked outside the house -- but them the smell would still be on you and on everything else to some degree - nonsmokers can pick it up.)

And if they had sleepovers their friends went home smelling like smoke. And you cannot possibly know how your smoking during pregnancy and during their young lives will affect their future health - or even if it affected their health back then. It's something you can't always see on the outside, like a runny nose. Let's call a spade a spade; you were addicted to nicotine.

Quoting grandmab125:

I call bull on these second hand smoke studies.  I smoked through two pregnancies and while they were young. My ex-husband also smoked. Both of my girls had nothing more than the usual amount of colds every other kid got each year.  They are very healthy adults now.

grandma B

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Why give cigarettes so much power? .

Nothing, unless people choose to believe the propaganda. I smoked through all of my pregnancies, as did my husband, most of our friends (who also smoked through their pregnancies), and I honestly don't know of any children out of all of them that has 'behavior' problems (well, not until they grew up and started reading propaganda about cigarettes lol). And, just to be clear, none of them had asthma, frequent illnesses, etc. as children. Mine were disgustingly healthy. I don't need more fingers than I was born with to count the number of actual illnesses my three boys had while they were growing up in my smoking home.

Now, what I do wonder about are all these people who are SOOOOO anti-smoking, but who are raising children with breathing disorders, and all sorts of alphabet disorders, and all sorts of illnesses ~ who somehow still blame cigarettes (especially those who live in towns/counties with smoking bans).

How are their children being exposed to evil cigarette smoke? Does it creep in through the windows when everyone is in bed? Does it sneak in and attack while mom is cooking dinner? Can it be mail ordered?

Sorry, but I'm not buying it (the propaganda that is). The growing number of supposedly cigarette related illnesses and 'behavioral' problems is stemming from all of the rest of the chemicals, pollutants, and crud that fills people's homes and lives ... but people like those things. The media doesn't indoctrinate them to hate those things, but to buy more of those things.

Those things are household cleaners, stink pretty that plugs in, burns (like cigarettes!), or can be sprayed with the assistance of more chemicals ... exhaust fumes from vehicles ... chemicals in furniture and bedding ... chemicals in our food and water, etc.

Some of these people actually take their non-smoking families camping and sit around campfires, or build firepits in their own yards! The wispy stuff that floats around them is ... SMOKE.

A lot of those same families have at least one member who smokes pot. The wispy stuff that floats around is ... SMOKE (although it appears to be a lot more fun than just campfire smoke).

That's all that comes out of my home-grown, home cured, hand rolled tobacco cigarettes. Smoke.

I don't use any bizarre chemicals to grow it or dry it. I don't add any when I roll it (I mix in some mint for a pseudo menthol flavor).

What is not in my home are all those other chemicals. I have hard wood floors. I gave up on a sofa/chairs when my pup ate the third set 14 years ago. I make all of our cleaners and toiletries. I rarely drive (once a month usually) and I don't live in a filthy, stinky city. I also don't have black lungs ... although many people I know who don't smoke do.

I have family that smoked until they died at the age of 96. I have a mother who never smoked who died of a rare lung cancer. I know many people who smoke/d that are old, gray, and healthy. I know many others who never smoked, never lived with smokers, who have all sorts of ailments and cancer. I firmly believe that it's a crap shoot affected by the chemicals that our beloved (choked a bit on that one) fda has been paid to say are 'safe'.

I am fine with others believing any line of bull they choose to unless/until they try to dictate what I believe or worse, how I choose to live my life. I like smoking ~ and I have absolutely no intention of quitting. I don't drink. I don't do drugs. I don't eat processed crap food. I don't eat out. But I'll be darned if I will sit back and politely (or rudely) be told I need to quit smoking ... especially when it comes from some chippy driving an suv belching crud that actually can be proven to be lethal (and who like as not is wearing enough perfume to give me a headache for days).

Those of you who hate being around smokers need to clean up (seriously) your own lives and homes. The chemicals most of you spritz, spray, pour, and lather up are full of known carcinogens ~ unlike my organic cigs. The fact that you let your children play on carpeting full of those chemicals, bathe them in more chemicals, and sleep on mattresses full of even more, covered with bedding (and wearing clothes soaked in more) saturated with more is your own cross to bear. Same goes for those of you feeding them cardboard full of chemical tastes and colors that you call food.

I raise and grow our food. I have a garden full of heirloom veggies, fruit trees and bushes, I have Nubian goats that provide milk for dairy products, and I raise all of our meat ... ALL of it sans drugs, chemicals, etc. When it's all ready to be stored I can it, dehydrate it, or freeze it ... without any additives.

If and when I can find ~ or be shown ~ a study that actually says 'cigarettes cause' instead of 'may cause' because no scientist can prove it, I'll gladly reconsider my thoughts. I doubt I'd change my life though, because I know I'm not getting out of this alive. I reserve the right to sit down after a meal and smoke a cigarette with my cup of coffee until that happens. And, I will do so without paying the ridiculous and discriminatory taxes on cigarettes.

I have health insurance. In the past 30 years I've gone to a doctor once ~ to get my gall bladder out. I've been to a dentist twice ~ outside of regular checkups. I'm happy and I'm healthy ~ and the rule in my home is that if you don't like cigarettes, sit outside ... unless you are ill. I don't smoke around people that are ill, babies, etc. because I'm not an arsehole about forcing others to live with my choices outside of my home, or as a good hostess when I have guests.

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Smokers just don't want to face the facts that cigarettes are unhealthy because they're addicted. I'll bet your kids wish you would quit.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Nothing, unless people choose to believe the propaganda. I smoked through all of my pregnancies, as did my husband, most of our friends (who also smoked through their pregnancies), and I honestly don't know of any children out of all of them that has 'behavior' problems (well, not until they grew up and started reading propaganda about cigarettes lol). And, just to be clear, none of them had asthma, frequent illnesses, etc. as children. Mine were disgustingly healthy. I don't need more fingers than I was born with to count the number of actual illnesses my three boys had while they were growing up in my smoking home.

Now, what I do wonder about are all these people who are SOOOOO anti-smoking, but who are raising children with breathing disorders, and all sorts of alphabet disorders, and all sorts of illnesses ~ who somehow still blame cigarettes (especially those who live in towns/counties with smoking bans).

How are their children being exposed to evil cigarette smoke? Does it creep in through the windows when everyone is in bed? Does it sneak in and attack while mom is cooking dinner? Can it be mail ordered?

Sorry, but I'm not buying it (the propaganda that is). The growing number of supposedly cigarette related illnesses and 'behavioral' problems is stemming from all of the rest of the chemicals, pollutants, and crud that fills people's homes and lives ... but people like those things. The media doesn't indoctrinate them to hate those things, but to buy more of those things.

Those things are household cleaners, stink pretty that plugs in, burns (like cigarettes!), or can be sprayed with the assistance of more chemicals ... exhaust fumes from vehicles ... chemicals in furniture and bedding ... chemicals in our food and water, etc.

Some of these people actually take their non-smoking families camping and sit around campfires, or build firepits in their own yards! The wispy stuff that floats around them is ... SMOKE.

A lot of those same families have at least one member who smokes pot. The wispy stuff that floats around is ... SMOKE (although it appears to be a lot more fun than just campfire smoke).

That's all that comes out of my home-grown, home cured, hand rolled tobacco cigarettes. Smoke.

I don't use any bizarre chemicals to grow it or dry it. I don't add any when I roll it (I mix in some mint for a pseudo menthol flavor).

What is not in my home are all those other chemicals. I have hard wood floors. I gave up on a sofa/chairs when my pup ate the third set 14 years ago. I make all of our cleaners and toiletries. I rarely drive (once a month usually) and I don't live in a filthy, stinky city. I also don't have black lungs ... although many people I know who don't smoke do.

I have family that smoked until they died at the age of 96. I have a mother who never smoked who died of a rare lung cancer. I know many people who smoke/d that are old, gray, and healthy. I know many others who never smoked, never lived with smokers, who have all sorts of ailments and cancer. I firmly believe that it's a crap shoot affected by the chemicals that our beloved (choked a bit on that one) fda has been paid to say are 'safe'.

I am fine with others believing any line of bull they choose to unless/until they try to dictate what I believe or worse, how I choose to live my life. I like smoking ~ and I have absolutely no intention of quitting. I don't drink. I don't do drugs. I don't eat processed crap food. I don't eat out. But I'll be darned if I will sit back and politely (or rudely) be told I need to quit smoking ... especially when it comes from some chippy driving an suv belching crud that actually can be proven to be lethal (and who like as not is wearing enough perfume to give me a headache for days).

Those of you who hate being around smokers need to clean up (seriously) your own lives and homes. The chemicals most of you spritz, spray, pour, and lather up are full of known carcinogens ~ unlike my organic cigs. The fact that you let your children play on carpeting full of those chemicals, bathe them in more chemicals, and sleep on mattresses full of even more, covered with bedding (and wearing clothes soaked in more) saturated with more is your own cross to bear. Same goes for those of you feeding them cardboard full of chemical tastes and colors that you call food.

I raise and grow our food. I have a garden full of heirloom veggies, fruit trees and bushes, I have Nubian goats that provide milk for dairy products, and I raise all of our meat ... ALL of it sans drugs, chemicals, etc. When it's all ready to be stored I can it, dehydrate it, or freeze it ... without any additives.

If and when I can find ~ or be shown ~ a study that actually says 'cigarettes cause' instead of 'may cause' because no scientist can prove it, I'll gladly reconsider my thoughts. I doubt I'd change my life though, because I know I'm not getting out of this alive. I reserve the right to sit down after a meal and smoke a cigarette with my cup of coffee until that happens. And, I will do so without paying the ridiculous and discriminatory taxes on cigarettes.

I have health insurance. In the past 30 years I've gone to a doctor once ~ to get my gall bladder out. I've been to a dentist twice ~ outside of regular checkups. I'm happy and I'm healthy ~ and the rule in my home is that if you don't like cigarettes, sit outside ... unless you are ill. I don't smoke around people that are ill, babies, etc. because I'm not an arsehole about forcing others to live with my choices outside of my home, or as a good hostess when I have guests.

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Lucky you!  You must be getting up there to remember days when the non-smoker was in the minority. What was that, the 1940s? Smoking is an ugly, obnoxious habit. The reason why we have non-smoking
 laws is because people like me said "enough!"  We're tired of having our rights violated in restaurants, airplanes, airports, etc. Smoking while pregnant is just stupid.

Quoting grandmab125:

Get off your high horse.  That was over 30 years ago, and not much was known about second hand smoke then.  The phrase hadn't even been "invented" yet.  Were I a 26 yr old having a baby today, I would probably not be smoking while pregnant.

Since nearly every one I knew smoked, no one noticed the smell.  The non-smoker was the person in the minority.  I'm sure they didn't like the smell, but I was never given a hard time about my smoking from any one, not even drs.

I'm sure there are kids who develop asthma who live in homes where the parents smoke.  But, the question is.....do they have asthma because of the smoke in the room, or because they have a ton of allergies, or something else like that?  No one knows for sure.  I used to baby sit for a family who had a little girl with severe asthma, and no one smoked in their family.  In fact they moved from NJ, where I was, to Arizona in order to try to give her a better environment (warmer and drier), but to no avail.  The poor little thing died from her asthma anyway, and she was just a pre-teen.

I never had asthma in my life until we moved to IL.  My asthma was a result of the dog (I was very allergic to it and didn't know that), the trees outside my house, the mold in the crawl space which was always wet, except in a drought, dust, dust mites, polen, and everything else that was air borne.

When I finally quit smoking five years later, my asthma didn't get any better because it wasn't caused by smoking, it was caused by all of the other environmental factors around me.

I didn't get better until a few years later, after I gave my dog away, moved from that house into one that had an air conditioner and a furnace with an electronic filter that zapped out a lot of the airborn particulates.

And as far as affecting my daughters' health today....one is going to be 39 in May, and the other one will be 36 in July, and they are both very healthy women.  My oldest daughter never smoked, and the youngest one smoked until she got pregnant with her first child.  None of us has smoked in nearly 11 years.  I also had a 15 year break where I didn't smoke.

Quoting MentorMom1:

Quoting grandmab125:

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Stuck out there on that one.   I can see you lack simple comprehension in math.  If I was an adult (let alone born) in the 40's, I'd have to be in my 90's or dead by now.  And if I were in my 90's, I wouldn't have 35 and 38 year old daughters, now would I?

Quoting MentorMom1:

Lucky you!  You must be getting up there to remember days when the non-smoker was in the minority. What was that, the 1940s? Smoking is an ugly, obnoxious habit. The reason why we have non-smoking
 laws is because people like me said "enough!"  We're tired of having our rights violated in restaurants, airplanes, airports, etc. Smoking while pregnant is just stupid.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting MentorMom1:

Quoting grandmab125:

grandma B

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Which ones? The one who still smokes, the one who did, or the one who only tried it and didn't like it?

Show me the study that says cigarettes 'cause' anything. Just one will do.

Quoting MentorMom1:

Smokers just don't want to face the facts that cigarettes are unhealthy because they're addicted. I'll bet your kids wish you would quit.

Quoting Farmlady09:

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

good 

Quoting Farmlady09:

grandma B

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN