Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you donate your body to science?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 66 Replies

Can you see good reasons to do so? 

Drawbacks?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tscritch
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM

If they want it and could use it, sure why not...I won't be needing it anymore.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd rather donate my organs.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Sure I would.  I can't think of a reason not to.

Peanutx3
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I think if I had a disease that by donating my body to science that would potentially bring about a cure then I would donate my body to science.  I do plan on donating my organs.  I was surprised when I learned that Matt was an organ donor.  They were able to save his eyes and give 2 people the ability of sight.  For me the possiblity of helping multiple people with donated organs is much more meaningful than donating to science.

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My mom has told me that, if they want her body after she dies, they can have it.  She has a rare cancer and she thinks they might want to study her body more closely after she dies.  My thought concerning my body is that they can take whatever they want from my body after I die and then burn what's leftover.  It wouldn't bother me to have my body donated to science.  It would save my family the costs of disposing of my body.  The only drawback that I can see is that there wouldn't be a physical place for my family visit after I die.  But after a few years, no one will really care anyways.  Maybe they could place a memorial somewhere or plant a tree if they really wanted something physical to represent me. 

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

nah, I plan to use the crap out of my body so there aren't any good parts left when I'm done.  

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

This. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

They can harvest whatever they want for donation.  Research though...I'm fine with it but I don't know if my family's ready for that.  T

kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Both of my Grandparents did this, Grandmother had cancer, Grandfather died of natural causes.  They both left their bodies to the Tufts University School of Medicine.   It is my understanding that my Father has already signed the paperwork to do the same, but I think he might be with the Harvard School of Medicine.  

I have discussed doing the same with my DH, he's not really a big fan of the idea.  I am already an Organ donor, so personally I don't see much reason not to, but it makes him uncomfortable so I haven't pushed it.  

I think the benefits can be substantial in the study of Genetic diseases and we did lose my Nephew to a very rare Genetic illness, so I definitely can see it as positive.

ETA:  I do not however want to be used as a carving tool for med students.  I know that it is a necessary tool for education, but I do not have any interest in participating in that regard.

kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

In many instances you can do both (at least some of both).  My Grandparents were able to donate certain organs before they were used for scientific purposes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured